http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugb...n/15693399.stm

Management dicks

dl

(I bet MJ resigns over this)
Old 11 November 2011, 06:24 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe he should, he had no control over some of his team ?
Old 11 November 2011, 06:39 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MJ was one of the 'lads' at one time. You can't be one of the lads and a gaffer at the same time it just doesn't work. Discipline within the team becomes lax and the Jonno's objectivity is clouded because of his history with some of the players. Clive Woodward was succcessful because he could instill discipline and the players knew they couldn't take the mickey.
Old 11 November 2011, 07:03 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

They should have gotten rid of Martin Johnson long before now, as a Wales fan it would be better for us if he stayed but he has promoted a very boring style of rugby and probably set the English team back 20 years in terms of style and ability.

He should never have had the job in the first place, he wasn't a bad player for his time but that has long passed and as a coach he is pretty cr@p. And if there is to be a night of the long knives then also get rid of that bunch of old farts that make up the English RFC commitee as well, though I can't see that happening as there are too many vested interests.
Old 11 November 2011, 07:08 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
MJ was one of the 'lads' at one time. You can't be one of the lads and a gaffer at the same time it just doesn't work. Discipline within the team becomes lax and the Jonno's objectivity is clouded because of his history with some of the players. Clive Woodward was succcessful because he could instill discipline and the players knew they couldn't take the mickey.
Sorry RA I don't agree with your basic premise. I think it is more than possible to be one of the lads, as you put it, and be in charge when appropriate. This is Rugby not the officer's mess.

I am quite sure MJ could have put an end to the evening fun if he had wanted but the boys were having a few drinks and some blond that Tyndal knew kissed him on the forehead. FFS hardly John Terry stuff is it?
Old 11 November 2011, 07:21 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by David Lock
Sorry RA I don't agree with your basic premise. I think it is more than possible to be one of the lads, as you put it, and be in charge when appropriate. This is Rugby not the officer's mess.

I am quite sure MJ could have put an end to the evening fun if he had wanted but the boys were having a few drinks and some blond that Tyndal knew kissed him on the forehead. FFS hardly John Terry stuff is it?
Maz. I see the point your original post was making. Do you think it's all a storm in a teacup?
Old 11 November 2011, 07:27 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Maz. I see the point your original post was making. Do you think it's all a storm in a teacup?
I like Ra, it quite suits you, like the Egyptian Sun-god.
Old 11 November 2011, 07:37 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Yes. Well in a pint mug anyway

d
Old 11 November 2011, 07:51 PM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock

Agreed...and picked up on the sarcasm in the first post!! I really don't see what the problem was-the blooming football team get up to far worse!
Old 11 November 2011, 08:22 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by JTaylor
I like Ra, it quite suits you, like the Egyptian Sun-god.
Old 11 November 2011, 08:24 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ritchie21
Agreed...and picked up on the sarcasm in the first post!! I really don't see what the problem was-the blooming football team get up to far worse!
Irony not sarcasmDavid is far too cultured to do sarcasm

It's all media hype. Sensationalist reporting and a host of willing members of society craving their fifteen minutes.....
Old 12 November 2011, 09:43 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

This would of been a non issue if England had won the world cup!
Old 12 November 2011, 09:47 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Yup, it is a difficult transition to make but he needed to make it from day one. now is just too late and given what has happened he should do the decent thing and step down.

It is a real shame and there are no winners - no pun intended
Old 12 November 2011, 10:47 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Nothing wrong with going out for a drink in the evening with the team etc.

What is stupid is when it all goes over the top and they start the misbehaviour. Why do they feel that they can create mayhem and offend others just because they are unable to control themselves?

They are representing this country abroad and that creates a necessity to behave themselves in front of the people in the country where they are playing.

The fact that they are in the England squad does not make them so important that they can ignore the rules of normal and polite behaviour.

I agree that Tindal's fine seems to be well over the top but then I have not seen a description of his actual behaviour.

If you lay yourself open to such criticism for childish and boorish behaviour that you can't object to punishment by your own authority.

Les