Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Worrying precedent in the British media

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2011, 01:58 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Worrying precedent in the British media

It is over a week ago now but the offices of a French satirical newspaper were attached by Islamic activists because they published a satirical piece about the success of Islamist parties in the recent Tunisian elections. This piece featured among other things a cartoon of the Prophet on the front.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15550350

Sky news did a 5 min thing on this and in doing so they chose to show the newspaper cover....BUT they pixalated it out.

My issue is that this seemingly voluntarily self-censorship under the pretext of 'not causing offense', is in fact a VOLUNTARY COMPLIANCE WITH SHARIA.

You may ask why a secular media organisation in a non-muslim country is choosing to follow sharia law. It's a legitimate question. Why? Fear of violence? Fear of condemnation by liberal elites?

It seems that protecting muslim honor - which sees to be in this case a duty for non-muslims to follow one aspect of sharia law - trumps freedom of speech?

I would argue that this precedent and general attitude is in no way a good thing, it jeopardises democracy and liberal values. 'Honor/shame' has no place in a civil society where we have a duty to self-criticism.

Publishing a cartoon of the Prophet in no way harms Muslims directly or indirectly, there is no reason for them to be 'outraged' unless they see it as Islams right to enforce its own rules on unbelievers.

I would put it - perhaps controversially - that the 'cartoon controversies' is perhaps evidence of Islams expansive, and intractable nature.
Old 12 November 2011, 02:04 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

It's in the British media.

Then we should all either ignore it or take what they say with a huge dollop of salt.

Let it go...
Old 12 November 2011, 03:42 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

For the love of Allah please change the record
Old 12 November 2011, 03:50 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Were you not defending MAC in another thread in the name of freedom of speech?
Old 12 November 2011, 05:01 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Here we go again.
Old 12 November 2011, 05:34 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Were you not defending MAC in another thread in the name of freedom of speech?
No, as it happens
Old 12 November 2011, 05:42 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

It is over a week ago now but the offices of a French satirical newspaper were attached by Islamic activists because they published a satirical piece about the success of Islamist parties in the recent Tunisian elections. This piece featured among other things a cartoon of the Prophet on the front.

Sky news did a 5 min thing on this and in doing so they chose to show the newspaper cover....BUT they pixalated it out.

My issue is that this seemingly voluntarily self-censorship under the pretext of 'not causing offense', is in fact a VOLUNTARY COMPLIANCE WITH SHARIA.

You may ask why a secular media organisation in a non-muslim country is choosing to follow sharia law. It's a legitimate question. Why? Fear of violence? Fear of condemnation by liberal elites?

It seems that protecting muslim honor - which sees to be in this case a duty for non-muslims to follow one aspect of sharia law - trumps freedom of speech?

I would argue that this precedent and general attitude is in no way a good thing, it jeopardises democracy and liberal values. 'Honor/shame' has no place in a civil society where we have a duty to self-criticism.

Publishing a cartoon of the Prophet in no way harms Muslims directly or indirectly, there is no reason for them to be 'outraged' unless they see it as Islams right to enforce its own rules on unbelievers.

I would put it - perhaps controversially - that the 'cartoon controversies' is perhaps evidence of Islams expansive, and intractable nature.
Old 12 November 2011, 05:46 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I dont subscribe to that **** so i wouldnt know
Old 12 November 2011, 05:56 PM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

"Love is stronger than hate?
Old 12 November 2011, 06:25 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Then there should be no issue with pics like this

Old 12 November 2011, 06:49 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What would Jesus do?
Old 12 November 2011, 07:44 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by banny sti
Then there should be no issue with pics like this

This isn't satire though, these are anti-semitic caricatures.
Old 12 November 2011, 08:27 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Somebody firebombed the offices of a satirical magazine for printing a cartoon and they were right to do that. Our media houses are trembling, they know the consequences, a lesson learnt not just from this episode, of course. Let us not forget the Danish incident where the very same spineless organisations failed their significantly braver colleagues after a call for defiant solidarity. I say well done to the firebombers and hard luck to western mainstream media, because the former is winning the ideological battle. They had the courage of their convictions.

Tony, you're right and history will prove you so. Alas, a sense of vindication will be scant reward.

Last edited by JTaylor; 12 November 2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12 November 2011, 11:24 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
They had the courage of their convictions.
I think I can make this one even briefer;
They had convictions.
Old 13 November 2011, 06:07 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
This isn't satire though, these are anti-semitic caricatures.
Yep exactly, to be more specific they are a form of racist defamation in the form of a cartoon. It is not Jewish people being drawn as cartoon which would be the problem but what the cartoon 'say' in picture form.

Banny is just wrong to conflate a cartoon of Mohammed per se with these anti-Semitic cartoons.
Old 13 November 2011, 06:16 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Somebody firebombed the offices of a satirical magazine for printing a cartoon and they were right to do that. Our media houses are trembling, they know the consequences, a lesson learnt not just from this episode, of course. Let us not forget the Danish incident where the very same spineless organisations failed their significantly braver colleagues after a call for defiant solidarity. I say well done to the firebombers and hard luck to western mainstream media, because the former is winning the ideological battle. They had the courage of their convictions.

Tony, you're right and history will prove you so. Alas, a sense of vindication will be scant reward.
Yes we even had Politicians such as Jack Straw 'condemning' the Danish cartoon when they were published. I couldn't believe what I was seeing from the British establishment.

Sky also gave airtime to this French Muslim women who spun a narrative of French Muslim victimization, the paper was making a 'racist' attack, Muslims are so discriminated against in France etc. Sky gave no opposing view and as I said pixxalated out the depiction of Mohammed. All this explicitly and implicitly says is that the paper was wrong in some way and is 'attacking' Muslim honor which is something we should - rightly - protect even if it means sacrificing our freedoms.

It's a narrative of Muslim victimhood when the truth is that it is about Islamic expansionism.

Nobody questioned why non-muslims should follow a principle of sharia in a non-muslim country.
Old 13 November 2011, 09:37 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Yep exactly, to be more specific they are a form of racist defamation in the form of a cartoon. It is not Jewish people being drawn as cartoon which would be the problem but what the cartoon 'say' in picture form.

Banny is just wrong to conflate a cartoon of Mohammed per se with these anti-Semitic cartoons.
I think Einstein was being sarcastic LOL!
Old 13 November 2011, 09:56 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Freedom of speech. You can't pick and choose censorship.
Old 13 November 2011, 09:57 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

I think Einstein was being sarcastic LOL!
Ironic if you don't mind.
Old 13 November 2011, 10:38 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Yes we even had Politicians such as Jack Straw 'condemning' the Danish cartoon when they were published. I couldn't believe what I was seeing from the British establishment.

Sky also gave airtime to this French Muslim women who spun a narrative of French Muslim victimization, the paper was making a 'racist' attack, Muslims are so discriminated against in France etc. Sky gave no opposing view and as I said pixxalated out the depiction of Mohammed. All this explicitly and implicitly says is that the paper was wrong in some way and is 'attacking' Muslim honor which is something we should - rightly - protect even if it means sacrificing our freedoms.

It's a narrative of Muslim victimhood when the truth is that it is about Islamic expansionism.

Nobody questioned why non-muslims should follow a principle of sharia in a non-muslim country.
Yep. And if I'm going to be consistent with my "might is" argument, I have to congratulate Islam for outwitting the west. And if we're going to capitulate, we deserve the consequences. Many contemporary media organisations are concerned with self-preservation, not defending the principles of The Enlightenment. So, if it's the case that the west complies with an element of Sharia by proxy, well, best mark one up for Team Islam.

Last edited by JTaylor; 13 November 2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 13 November 2011, 12:50 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
Ironic if you don't mind.
Nearly put ironic, but thought TdW would better understand sarcastic ... he doesn't seem to do irony
Old 14 November 2011, 02:59 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I agree that there should not be any form of protectionism as in this case.

Satirical publication as long as it is within the law of the land and is not unfairly offensive should be quite free, and Sharia law is not part of our own British culture and that should stay that way.

Les
Old 14 November 2011, 07:16 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Goading Muslims into a reaction is a stupid thing to do, they make it quite clear that they wont put up with it, I am not religious, I believe its all a load of old claptrap but I also believe in not being beheaded, blown up, firebombed or having an airliner flown into my place of work. Perhaps if we didn't go out of our way to **** off the fundamentalist and violent few then we might avoid this.

I have nothing against Muslims or anyone else who is religious but I don't want to practice it myself, passing interest in their celebrations and sensibilities so I don't offend but sometimes people need offending and we shouldn't be scared to speak out if we don't like something but actively trying to **** off people with such deep rooted beliefs is never going to go well, see how tribal blokes get about football, religion is worse.
Old 16 November 2011, 10:59 AM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

NEWS CORP The Murdoch empire, has muslim investors BIG TIME .
Now is it really a coincidence that slanted reporting comes from SKY ?
Old 17 November 2011, 01:08 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

How far would you trust that particular empire I wonder?

Les