Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Something dodgy?

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2012, 06:37 PM
Jamieee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something dodgy?

Iv been looking for a bmw330ci for a while now anyway one turned up on Autotrader in London (I live Leicestershire) that I liked so contact was made bla bla. Seller said he was selling due to baby due .

I asked a few questions and the guy said he knew nothing about cars (fair enough) but I found out what I needed to know.

Anyway the add ended on the trader he hadn't sold it I made him an offer with a view to look at it. I was trying to find out if said car had xenon headlights again he was not sure, I asked to take a photo of the car with the lights on or a photo of the light sitch on the dash.

He responded with were is the light switch panel (maybe I didnt make myself clear) who knows.... anyway Iv waited a week for said photo, and still nothing.

Today I wanted to arrange to go see the car and asked for the guys address, he said he will txt me later with it as he could be at his girlfriends house and not his.

I said im not viewing a car at an address where it's not registered! He then replied with ok will let you know later tonight if I can be at mine.

Now I may be jumping the gun here but to me something don't seem right! Asked for one photo of something one week later nothing, guy asked me where the light switch is in his own car, he's supposedly having a baby yet does not live with his girlfriend.

Im yet to hpi it, can anyone recommend a good site to use? RAC looks expensive, and do you think this sounds dodgy or am i being over cautious?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06 January 2012, 07:45 PM
Alg
Scooby Regular

Google his mobile number and see what comes up.
Old 06 January 2012, 07:48 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Definitely hpi the car, he may just be. Bit slack with trying to sell it, or with a baby due it's not a high priority?
That said if it doesn't feel right then follow your instinct and walk away, probably best in the long run
Old 06 January 2012, 09:01 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 185 Likes on 142 Posts

like above he probably has 100 cars... personally i would use RAC or the AA to do a visual inspection as they do the hpi at the same time.

worth it imo
Old 07 January 2012, 08:51 AM
steve05wrx
Scooby Regular

If it were me then this would be my low cost plan of action:-
Contact the seller and tell him that you are arranging a full aa inspection and hpi check.
Ask seller for their address where car is registered and the registration number.
Ask seller for a couple of convenient dates and times in the next week when it would be possible for the aa to inspect the car at it's registered address.
If seller gives you good answers to the above then looking better to proceed and worth then having a good look at his address on google street view to check Chav level of property!
If seller is at all reluctant with above - then run a mile!
What do you reckon of this low cost plan??

Cheers
steve
Old 07 January 2012, 12:53 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I somehow think you might have to write that deal off.

Les
Old 07 January 2012, 01:38 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

....just take cash with you and it'll be ok......I doubt he will accept a cheque ;-)