Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Recruitment consultants ...

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2012, 05:39 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get the same. I do part-time engineering consultancy, 1 or 2 days a week, and the rest of the time I work for an engineering company near home. The agencies I've spoken to know this - but I regularly get emails asking if I'd like to move overseas for 6 months, take a major cut in pay, and spend the time laying out printed circuit boards.

The short answer, I think, is 'no', they don't read CVs properly or think very hard before sending out these 'opportunities' - they just use a computer to match jobs to skills, and if enough of the boxes are ticked, out goes the email.
Old 27 January 2012, 05:50 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

DO NOT get me started on these ****s.

Spent 6 weeks doing 2 stage interviews to recruit a new member of my team. Offer the job to the best applicant. Turns out she has blatantly lied about her qualifications

Surely the agency (who was supposed to be one of the better ones according to the HR dept.) should have checked this and saved us wasting a whole load of time and now need to start the whole process again

And that's just the most recent **** up I've seen from agencies

******* ***** the lot of them
Old 27 January 2012, 06:19 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Thieving scam set up by Lying Labour.
I know of large numbers of people who have registered, then never heard any more.
I know of people who have registered, pestered, and heard nowt.

TBH: don't they get £££ for each person that signs with them?

Money that would be better spent on benefits.....
Old 27 January 2012, 09:19 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Dave, I'm on about the many, many private recruitment consultants that have sprung up all over UK Plc since Billy Liar.

Where else do they get their money?
Old 27 January 2012, 09:40 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
Dave, I'm on about the many, many private recruitment consultants that have sprung up all over UK Plc since Billy Liar.

Where else do they get their money?
The second wave explosion of recruitment companies during the Blair years (the first being the one that happened when the industry was first deregulated in the late 80s/early 90s) was a result of agencies starting to make massive use of the internet. It had nothing to do with any special legislation that New Labour introduced.
Old 28 January 2012, 06:16 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hutton_d
But why the h3ll did the guy then invite me as a connection on Linkedin?? I mean, if I knew him and he was any good then I probably would, but h'e crap so I'll just "ignore" the invite ..

Dave
He wants your contacts so he can send out more dribble to them in the hope that someone matches the job descriptions he's sending out.
Old 28 January 2012, 09:09 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

DFMEA - Design Failure Mode Effect Analysis
PFMEA - Process Failure Mode Effect Analysis

Standard automotive fare

It will be oppertunities for Jaguar Landrover, there on a huge recruitment drive at the moment, (millions of pound of investment ) Good money if you want it

For the recruitment company, its a goldmine.

For every "body" they place, they get either a percentage of the hourly rate, or a placement fee, A percentage of the annual salary bill for 1 year.
(up front)
Given the salarys involved are usually around the £30k-£45k mark, scatter gunning the market for prospects is standard fare

Last automotive contractor i dealt with was on €60 per hour with perks!
with approx €20 of that going to the agency!!!

Only trouble with contracting is its not guaranteed - usually max 2 year contracts, often shorter. and your expendible... ofter a couple of hours notice ... Perm contracts are better, but pay way less

Mart
Old 28 January 2012, 12:30 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by mart360
DFMEA - Design Failure Mode Effect Analysis
PFMEA - Process Failure Mode Effect Analysis

Standard automotive fare

It will be oppertunities for Jaguar Landrover, there on a huge recruitment drive at the moment, (millions of pound of investment ) Good money if you want it

For the recruitment company, its a goldmine.

For every "body" they place, they get either a percentage of the hourly rate, or a placement fee, A percentage of the annual salary bill for 1 year.
(up front)
Given the salarys involved are usually around the £30k-£45k mark, scatter gunning the market for prospects is standard fare

Last automotive contractor i dealt with was on €60 per hour with perks!
with approx €20 of that going to the agency!!!

Only trouble with contracting is its not guaranteed - usually max 2 year contracts, often shorter. and your expendible... ofter a couple of hours notice ... Perm contracts are better, but pay way less

Mart
That takes me back. FMEA, FMEAII, JIT, KAIZEN, Transfer lines, Production flow anaysis, PLC programming, making Puma robot arms do disco dancing.

To think I studied all that at uni and when the time came to get a job (main aim was automotive manufacturing), none of the employers or agencies wanted to know. I'd be lucky to get a reply to hundreds and hundreds of applications. Agencies wasted my time sending me to interviews that had nothing to do with what I was educated to do or more importantly for a role that wasn't even what they had told me (i.e one was a welder for farm plant...it was 'advertised' to me as diagnostics job for the retrofitting of automated ploughing systems..FFS!!! ).

And in the main, the majority of employers wanted was experienced contractors for short term contracts. Without a foothold I ended up doing something that has nothing to do with my qualifications nor what I wanted to do either. And now its been far too long to be able to get back into that industry, as someone of my age now without the correct or current experience hasn't a prayer.

Inccidentally Jaguar was one I regularly applied to - despite their constant adverts in recruitment magazine and upon enquiring they regularly told me they were not employing anyone. Yet next month...there it was....another recruitment advert! I hope Tata have sorted out their HR department now.

However I personally blame the lack of government regulation of both business HR departments and the agencies they often reply upon, as well as Universities not establishing proper direct ties with employers to produce a graduate that an employer wants to employ.

Last edited by ALi-B; 28 January 2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 29 January 2012, 12:19 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Geez. So I get an email from them with a "job opportunity". It's in the Midlands (I'm in Cornwall), they want automotive experience (always worked for 'IT' companies though I do have a car ... ) and also 'DFMEA' and 'PFMEA' experience (no clue and they aren't on my CV anyway). So, I get a few of these and I usually just delete them but this one I decided to send back a sarky email to. To paraphrase my reply, 'you could have read my CV and seen immediately I wasn't suitable but you didn't actually read it did you ...? ... '. I expected either to be ignored or to get an email 'apologies, it won't happen again' type response. What do I get? The author of the email wants to add me as a connection on Linkedin .... I mean, WTF planet are these people on .... ????

Rant over ......

Dave
I doubt that the author even read your email to them!

Les