Run Flat Tyres & Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2012, 02:36 PM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Run Flat Tyres & Insurance

Hi Folks,

I'm just ringing around for tyre prices for my BMW. It uses run flats as the manufacturer default and I'm after rears, which are 255/40-17.

Now, the run flat Michelins are stupid prices and the average hike against the price of a non run flat seems to be about £100 per tyre.

So, i rings my local tyre firm, who I have dealt with for years and they are usually reliable. After asking what model I have, (318d m-sport), they state they do not fit non run flats to this car as it invalidates the warranty? Therefore, I would have to fit 2 Michelins at nearly £650.

Anyone else had experience of this. I cannot possibly see how a non run flat Bridgestone or Michelin can invalidate your warranty - especially when you read the fine print, which suggests the only benefit if you get a puncture seems to be about 40 odd extra miles at a maximum of 35mph?!

I'm all for paying for decent tyres if you want the performance, but £650 for two?

Cheers

blubs
Old 30 January 2012, 03:21 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say that's bollox.

Why don't you simply ring a BMW dealer and ask them.
Old 30 January 2012, 03:25 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got Halfords to fit my MCS with runflats, Dunlop, about 30% less than was quoted elsewhere.
Old 30 January 2012, 03:42 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

I have the same tyers (320d m-sport - 2009) and I recently needed some rears. Have you tried the Kwick-fit website? They can provide a very competitive price. I used this to go back to my BWM garage where they matched it, so I had 2 x 255 40R7 Bridgstone Runflats for £320.
Old 30 January 2012, 04:14 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

just had 2 new run flats put on my 325, £230 each! Needless to say I spent another £70 on beer afterwards to ease the open wallet surgery.
Old 30 January 2012, 04:44 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

If thats the case why do BMW offer a "mobility kit" and compact space saver tyre+jack as optional extras?

Presumably these are only listed on their parts system so their cars can have non-runflats fitted?

Should notify insurers though.

The one front runflat on our BMW has a bulge in the sidewall after hitting one too many potholes. By rights it should be replaced....but it can run when flat and shouldn't blow-out. I've been told to keep using it until the bulge gets bigger or the tyre stops holding air

Last edited by ALi-B; 30 January 2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 30 January 2012, 05:03 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nimbus
I have the same tyers (320d m-sport - 2009) and I recently needed some rears. Have you tried the Kwick-fit website? They can provide a very competitive price. I used this to go back to my BWM garage where they matched it, so I had 2 x 255 40R7 Bridgstone Runflats for £320.
Actually, I remember that this was the price for the fronts. The rears were about £190 each. I still got the best price through kwik-fit
Old 30 January 2012, 10:40 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

318d "M-sport"? What extras does this model have to make it M-sport? Badging is so confusing these days....
Someone at work recently gave the full title of their "330 eye m-sport". Oh leave me alone I'm overwhelmed by the sound of this! Please have pity on me!
Sinclair C5 bi-turbo, active diff, 3x3, arm rests, nitros....
Old 30 January 2012, 11:03 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skoobidude
318d "M-sport"? What extras does this model have to make it M-sport? Badging is so confusing these days....
Someone at work recently gave the full title of their "330 eye m-sport". Oh leave me alone I'm overwhelmed by the sound of this! Please have pity on me!
Sinclair C5 bi-turbo, active diff, 3x3, arm rests, nitros....
  • choice of two alloys wheels exclusive only available to the m-sport
  • sports leather steering wheel and gear stick
  • alcantara / cloth sports seats
  • black headlining
  • short throw gear change
  • Lower and stiffer suspension
  • different bumber/side skirts
  • m-sport chrome inserts in the lower door frames (not sure what you call it, the bit you step over )
  • options of exclusive "le Mans" blue

Last edited by Nimbus; 31 January 2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 31 January 2012, 12:15 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I reckon your local tyre firm must have very big windows. Can't believe that sort of cost for those tyres, even if runflats are more expensive.

My mini uses runflats, I don't like them because they are more expensive and are less comfortable because of the stiffer sidewalls. It is acceptable to fit normal tyres on the runflat wheels and there was no mention of insurance problems if you do on the Mini. The only problem is that there is nowhere to carry a spare wheel in the Mini.

Les
Old 31 January 2012, 12:52 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I reckon your local tyre firm must have very big windows. Can't believe that sort of cost for those tyres, even if runflats are more expensive.

My mini uses runflats, I don't like them because they are more expensive and are less comfortable because of the stiffer sidewalls. It is acceptable to fit normal tyres on the runflat wheels and there was no mention of insurance problems if you do on the Mini. The only problem is that there is nowhere to carry a spare wheel in the Mini.

Les
There's nowhere to carry one in a BWM either Most people who run non-RF just carry a can of sealent and a foot pump. Many have reported a better ride with non-RF. The BMWLand forums have lot's of discussions on this. It may be worth checking their on the question of insurance.

Last edited by Nimbus; 31 January 2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 31 January 2012, 01:21 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Yes and I carry the sealant as you suggest.

I cannot be sure about the insurance question. The insurance companies seem to be looking for anything to use as a "get out clause" these days!
Old 31 January 2012, 02:03 PM
bigredrob
Scooby Regular

Yes and I carry the sealant as you suggest.

I cannot be sure about the insurance question. The insurance companies seem to be looking for anything to use as a "get out clause" these days!
so, if your car was fitted with runflats from new, should you replace them runflats?
Old 31 January 2012, 05:02 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

if you fit non runflat tyres while the car is in warranty it is void! ! there is nothing wrong with fitting non runflats after the warranty is up as they are cheaper and the ride is 100 times better with them off , i have had alot of customers do this and the feedback from them is that it is a much better car to drive , these have been customers with cracked rims due to the run flats and normal 3,5,7 series folk with the lower profiles .

the question has been asked shall i tell my insurance? , my answer is "its up to you" . simples
Old 31 January 2012, 05:38 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

if you fit non runflat tyres while the car is in warranty it is void!
Why do BMW supply a mobility system and space saver tyre as an optional extras then for example F10 BMW 530d:

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...=71&fg=07&hl=3

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...49&hg=36&fg=95

(even if there is nowhere under the boot floor to put the damned thing - they supply a strap kit and bag to keep it secure )
Old 31 January 2012, 05:51 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Why do BMW supply a mobility system and space saver tyre as an optional extras then for example F10 BMW 530d:

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...=71&fg=07&hl=3

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...49&hg=36&fg=95

(even if there is nowhere under the boot floor to put the damned thing - they supply a strap kit and bag to keep it secure )
some of the 5 series dont run runflat tyres , the kit is optional on most models from the mini onwards but as you said there is nowhare to put it
Old 31 January 2012, 07:38 PM
Molbyman
Scooby Regular

Quote - It is acceptable to fit normal tyres on the runflat wheels and there was no mention of insurance problems if you do on the Mini......

Not what I was told last Friday by the guy MOTing my WRX when I asked about doing this on my daughter's Mini...you should inform your insurance Co as non-OEM type fitted.
Old 01 February 2012, 02:28 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Molbyman
Quote - It is acceptable to fit normal tyres on the runflat wheels and there was no mention of insurance problems if you do on the Mini......

Not what I was told last Friday by the guy MOTing my WRX when I asked about doing this on my daughter's Mini...you should inform your insurance Co as non-OEM type fitted.
Quote again then!

I was told by the local BMW agent when I enquired about fitting non runflats to the original wheels that it was not a problem as far as fitting the tyres was concerned, or the handling of the car, and the only drawback was the lack of a spare wheel.

They did not mention any problem with insurance and said that a good many people had done just that as well. I would have expected them to know if it was not acceptable for insurance purposes.

This business of non insurance due to fitting non OEM equipment is concerned seems to be a new thing and as you say it would be better to check with one's insurance company to avoid them using it as a "get out" clause.

Les
Old 09 February 2012, 10:51 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I took BMW up on their Tyre insurance when I bought my 3 series. £250 for 3 years against having to replace them through punctures (not wear).
As I have to visit building sites quite often with all the construction rubbish left on the road it was worth having.
It would be terrible if I were to visit site and got a couple of punctures a few weeks apart just as the rears needed replacing...
Old 09 February 2012, 11:13 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigredrob
so, if your car was fitted with runflats from new, should you replace them runflats?
Not according to the manufacturer, but doubtless the insurance co. would try to use it as a get out clause if I had an accident! Any excuse!

Les
Old 09 February 2012, 11:31 AM
bigredrob
Scooby Regular

Not according to the manufacturer, but doubtless the insurance co. would try to use it as a get out clause if I had an accident! Any excuse!

Les
Had a chat with an insurance assessor, he said "as long as the speed rating, is the same as the OEM, you should be alright, but dont quote me". I thought that was very helpful, . Seems that they might use it as a get out to me
Old 09 February 2012, 11:47 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Well I suppose it depends on the insurance company which is involved. There seem to be so many "traps for young players" these days. You begin to wonder who you can trust anyway.

Les
Old 09 February 2012, 11:54 AM
bigredrob
Scooby Regular

Well I suppose it depends on the insurance company which is involved. There seem to be so many "traps for young players" these days. You begin to wonder who you can trust anyway.

Les
The bankers, the politicians, and football managers, of course