Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

"I see eight people here having to choose between eating or heating."

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2012, 01:27 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "I see eight people here having to choose between eating or heating."

Or alternatively, not buying **** and booze and actually tryign to retrain yourself.

"No one wants my skills."

Well do something about it.

Also, not one to cast doubt but the mrs seems to be perfectly ok and popping out sprogs, just not able to bother going to work.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16812185

Bring on the benfit cap.

5t.
Old 01 February 2012, 01:31 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Some people just cannot be bothered...
Old 01 February 2012, 01:33 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

i bet theres a few immovable objects on here......
Old 01 February 2012, 01:35 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Update.... just knocked off the cost of 200 tabs a week (£3100)

Sky TV (£780 - apparently £15 a week??), Internet (£340) and the booze (£1040)

And saved the work shy goit almost his cut in subsidy.

I'm sure he can thank me later.

Perhaps, once he's got him self off the **** he could save a lot more by walking about instead of spunking a fortune on buses too.

5t.
Old 01 February 2012, 01:39 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I saw that too. I don't have sky movies and I earn far more than he gets on Benefits also I don't smoke or drink. The guy is taking the pi$$
Old 01 February 2012, 01:51 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So we are basically paying for this family to smoke 5-10 cigarettes a day, killing themselves in the process, clogging up the NHS, all while watching Sky.

This benefit cap is just so unfair!
Old 01 February 2012, 03:15 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I had an interesting chat with a bloke who does charity work in Romania. Not your usual type of hippy "please think of the children" types...He's a proper rough looking skin head, covered in tatoos etc.

All he does is go collecting unwanted stuff in the UK and ship it over there, mainly blankets and tinned food etc. Having to guard shipmenets all the way to their destinations to stop them being stolen (as it often happens otherwise). It seems affairs over in Romania's destitute are no better than before they were in the EU

When the subject turned to helping the 'needy' in the UK. His attitude totally changed; what he collects and provides is not 'good enough' for the British 'hard up'. For example, instead of a free old 14" CRT portable TV, they want LCD flatscreen. Same with bedding and clothing it has to be new or fashionable. FFS, if its free what does it matter?

And the point around this is many of the people he tries to help over there are in a situation through no fault of their own, the country is a corrupt crap hole. They are enternally greatful for what he gives no matter what it is, most just want clothing and blankets, not mod cons. Meanwhile in the UK a great proportion of people are in their situation because of their own doings, thats the difference; they expect someone to help them, to give them a set standard of living, and if what is provided isn't good enough - be it benefit, job, or whatever they moan and demand more or better without putting any effort in to improve the situation by themselves.

Summed up the waste UK benefits are on a portion of its dependants IMHO.

PS...I don't claim benefits never had, barring a student grant 12 years ago. Don't have Sky movies, Don't have Sky sports, Our old TV was ten years old before it was replaced. Didn't have a smart phone until last year, Don't smoke, and only drink 5 pints of beer a week and one or two eat-out/take-aways meals a week.. Most of my money goes on running inefficient cars and keeping our businesses afloat.

Last edited by ALi-B; 01 February 2012 at 05:19 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 01 February 2012, 03:27 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

It winds me up as I was in a situation like this in 2008-2009. My Mrs worked full time for min. wage and I got IIDB and the dole. But if we'd been savvy and popped a sprog out (maybe 2) in those miserable 18 months I was unemployed then WHEY-HEY, benefits gravy train we come!

Knock the TV down, tell the lad to walk to his education, stop smoking or seriously cut down (200 **** a week and a pouch of tobacco?), food shop needs to be more savvy (I feed me, the mrs and son on circa £110 every TWO weeks). Maybe a little more to account for baby milk and the butchers but £1000 a month? **** off.

But dare I say it, they're on this kinda money legitimately, even though it's morally wrong to me. Say the dad goes out and gets a job, even on min wage. I hazard a guess the percentage drop in his benefits would leave him working full time but on less than he was sat on his ****?

And the kids... did I read 5 teenagers? All on mobile phones? Ever heard of saturday jobs or after school paper rounds?

Sorry, doesn't cut it for me. I got little sympathy (and rightly so looking back), and managed to re-train as an apprentice with an arthritic wrist, why can't he retrain?
Old 01 February 2012, 03:39 PM
DARB
Scooby Regular

If ya can't feed em then don't breed em !!
Old 01 February 2012, 03:56 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

More rights over responsibilities made easy by a system that just hands them money and rewards then financially for having more kids.

She is Bi- polar so is unable to work yet able to produce and look after children...

"We have three teenage boys living in one room that barely fits their bunks and a chair-bed in it and two teenage daughters in a smaller room that barely fits their bunks in it.

"In the third bedroom we have ourselves and a five-year-old boy."

It begs the question "why did you have so many children then?" the true answer is they thought they would be entitled to a bigger property and more money...

so Their benefits total 32k the equivalent of a 47K salary - not bad for doing nothing to contribute to this country other than produce more kids for the employed people of this country to feed, cloth, educate, etc and these then kids grow up to be part of the next generation of work-shy long-term unemployed used to putting their hand out and taking but not giving or contributing.

Their benefits should be paid in vouchers for food, etc so they cannot waste it on things such as SKY, booze ****, etc as they are obviously unable to manage their money!

Last edited by The Zohan; 01 February 2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01 February 2012, 04:18 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Zohan

Their benefits should be paid in vouchers for food, etc so they cannot waste it on things such as SKY, booze ****, etc as they are obviously unable to manage their money!
This. Why doesn't that happen? Apart from some stigma I guess, there is no reason to give money. It should be in vouchers.

I know there would then be a trade (£2 = £5 voucher or something), but it has to be better than just handing out cash?
Old 01 February 2012, 04:18 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Oh come on now, look on the bright side, at least they're not immigrants
Old 01 February 2012, 04:25 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
; they expect someone to help them, to give them a set standard of living,
Is this the thread about Bankers?

In one of my local pubs I reckon at least 50% of the regulars are on long term benefits, but they are in there all the time, they know all the arcane secrets of the benefits systems and what and how to claim for it.

I have never claimed benefits myself and hope never to do so.
Old 01 February 2012, 04:26 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Oh come on now, look on the bright side, at least they're not immigrants
Yep we need more big issues sellers from Romania claiming 10's k a year in benefits.
Old 01 February 2012, 04:37 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Wife and I both work and always have. Would love more children but don't really have the room and the wifes business is failing in a dying high street.

Her relatives up north pop them out left right and centre and although some work don't earn enough to support 5 children so need benefits. We've had to make very hard decision because we have chosen the working route. Those complete bunch of c*nts think nothing of having another and its all good fun

I also had the wifes father telling me he earns "EARNS" more than the wife and I put together - Earns They are both on the sick and pulling benefits to the hilt - I said I can't wait for the benefit cap to which he says "well I earn (again that f*cking word) more than £26K a year"

Needless to say, I don't let it get to me. W*nkers.

Last edited by EddScott; 01 February 2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01 February 2012, 04:39 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

You heartless bar stewards should watch this.

It brought a tear to my eye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=OA9t61PuiDc
Old 01 February 2012, 04:42 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

To be honest if you owned a house and didn't have children and were willing to sacrifice thing like new cars etc and holidays, you could live pretty easy on benefits especially if you can milk some incapacity benefits etc, bad neck, back etc, fibro...anything impossible to prove you don't have it. Get out of bed an 10 am spend all day in Wetherspoons etc.
Old 01 February 2012, 04:50 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to lol at the Sky Movies comment, what planet are these people on?
Old 01 February 2012, 04:51 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
30k in benefits is about 40K gross salary I'd say? No chance he's going to earn that anything soon and thus there is no incentive to go try and find a job which may one day provide a better standard of living.

The system effectively traps people as why would you go find a job if you were this bloke (self respect and self worth aside )

We need a period where people do suffer and people do have to face hard times while the system is brought under control.
Or the reward for having a job is higher, tax credits would be nice!
Old 01 February 2012, 05:00 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Wife and I both work and always have. Would love more children but don't really have the room and the wifes business is failing in a dying high street.

Her relatives up north pop them out left right and centre and although some work don't earn enough to support 5 children so need benefits. We've had to make very hard decision because we have chosen the working route. Those complete bunch of c*nts think nothing of having another and its all good fun

I also had the wifes father telling me he earns "EARNS" more than the wife and I put together - Earns They are both on the sick and pulling benefits to the hilt - I said I can't wait for the benefit cap to which he says "well I earn (again that f*cking word) more than £26K a year"

Needless to say, I don't let it get to me. W*nkers.
You get on well with in lnlaws then Ed
Old 01 February 2012, 05:10 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I actually don't mind them as such but it pi55es me off when they talk about "they"

"they" are cutting our benefit. "they" won't give us a bigger house. "they" haven't fitted the free kitchen, bathroom, central heating, re-wiring the whole house.

Who the f*ck do they think "they" is?
Old 01 February 2012, 05:15 PM
deepy
Scooby Regular

I dont think you can knock these people for using their benefit payments to buy consumer goods, more the system which allows them enough disposable income to do so.

If someone is genuinely incapacitated, a relative perhaps,would you begrudge them a few home comforts or would you prefer they sat watching four walls all day?

I think the main problem is the perception that payments are made to those that aren't needy and could do more to help themselves. But there's a cost to that in constantly reviewing and reassessing these people and having to employ an army of fraud teams to find and deal with them. There will always be cheats and just reading other threads on here it seems plenty of people know some. Report them, let them be dealt with and get the money going to people that genuinely need it.

Last edited by deepy; 01 February 2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01 February 2012, 05:27 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by deepy

If someone is genuinely incapacitated, a relative perhaps,would you begrudge them a few home comforts or would you prefer they sat watching four walls all day?
The issue with the case in point is the guy is spending out on 200 **** a week and £15 per week on sky. He could easily stop paying for this - he wouldnt die from the lack of cigs or sky, he'd still have normal TV, and he'd probably be healthier from it.

In fact, the benefit cuts could save this blokes life.
Old 01 February 2012, 05:45 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

I dont think you can knock these people for using their benefit payments to buy consumer goods, more the system which allows them enough disposable income to do so.
Disagree. You can certianly knock them for moaning they'll get less when they've done nothing to help themselve other than help themselves.

You can also knock them for crying "we'll need to decide between food or being warm" without saying "We'll have to stop boozing and smoking" which would actually cover the 4k drop in 'benefits' they'd recieve.

Also, vouchers wouldn't do it, they'd have a value, people would sell or trade them.

It's have to be soup kitchens or somehting. Government approved furniture too. Clean, basic, covering all your needs. Want something fancy? Work for it.

5t.
Old 01 February 2012, 06:11 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
with an arthritic wrist
I won't ask what you like to do in your alone time

Old 01 February 2012, 06:12 PM
deepy
Scooby Regular

You both miss my point. The fact that he has sky telly 200 ****/day or whatever is neither here nor there, you cant pay benefits with a proviso that they are spent on x or y thats a personal choice. If someone is thrifty enough to save for a telly then why shouldnt they have it as well as meeting winter fuel bills? There's a non argument in the first post in that we're all agreed that taken on face value he/they are overfunded and haven't used the money wisely.

My point is that there are still huge savings to be made across the whole system if the resources were in place to contstantly keep tabs on what's going where and if cheats were reported, that money could be used for those truely deserving of it.
Old 01 February 2012, 06:34 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

You both miss my point. The fact that he has sky telly 200 ****/day or whatever is neither here nor there, you cant pay benefits with a proviso that they are spent on x or y thats a personal choice. If someone is thrifty enough to save for a telly then why shouldnt they have it as well as meeting winter fuel bills? There's a non argument in the first post in that we're all agreed that taken on face value he/they are overfunded and haven't used the money wisely.

My point is that there are still huge savings to be made across the whole system if the resources were in place to contstantly keep tabs on what's going where and if cheats were reported, that money could be used for those truely deserving of it.
I take your point that he has x amount of money in benefits and its his to do with as he chooses.

Having said that, we're entering another recession, unemployment is up, the country is in a record amount of debt, everyone across the board is having to tighten their belts and adjust the way they live according to how much disposable income they have. Why shouldnt the failing benefits system shrink in accordance with this trend. After all everyone paying into the system has less money - why shouldnt the people using this money in benefits have to do the same?

Whilst there are probably as many people who genuinely deserve the benefits they get, the system is so unbalanced that there are equally as many people wrongly abusing the system because they are too bone idle to get off their ***** and try to find work as everything is given to them on a plate.

I seriously wonder how anyone with no income can pop out kids like there is no tomorrow without giving pause to thought on how they are going to feed, clothe and care for them. Its about time the governement stopped rewarding the people who clearly have no concept on what the benefits are there for and started penalising them.
Old 01 February 2012, 07:27 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

The point is that they choose to spend their money on things other than renting a bigger house to accommodate their family then whinge about it as if it is somebody else's fault and not their responsibility!
Old 01 February 2012, 07:41 PM
deepy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Zohan
The point is that they choose to spend their money on things other than renting a bigger house to accommodate their family then whinge about it as if it is somebody else's fault and not their responsibility!
Rent for housing would be paid by housing benefit, often directly to the landlord. If they felt they were entitled to a larger/better place then they would be considered on their circumstances.

That is separate to other benefits they may be receiving.

In no way am I offering one ounce of support for spongers, just reiterating the point that it is the "system" that is being played to best advantage by these people.

Unless you change the whole way that benefits are awarded, you cannot blame people for taking what they are entitled to.
Old 01 February 2012, 08:18 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I am 100% FOR penalising the adults who "pop out kids as if there is no tomorrow".

As soon as you have found a way to do it WITHOUT penalising their kids, who did not ask to be born, let us all know please.

I am sure the government will be interested.

Quick Reply: "I see eight people here having to choose between eating or heating."