Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Whatever happened to the good old Bank Manager....

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2012, 11:52 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Whatever happened to the good old Bank Manager....

Do they exist anymore or is everything done with a faceless wonder on the end of the phone? Usually one who I have difficulty understanding. Not good when dealing with money
I am currently in the process of leaving HSBC, who I have been with for over 20 years.
There is no longer a Manager who you can discuss your needs with, or get advice from, just some call centre who has no idea who you are nor the interest in giving advice or help.
Is this the way forward? If so, I would rather stash my cash under the mattress
Old 03 February 2012, 12:49 AM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Why not call into your nearest branch...that way you bypass the ummm, people who are hard to comprehend
Old 03 February 2012, 06:16 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I left Lloyds for the same reason. I booked an appointment with the manager who then failed to turn up and delegated my concerns to a young girl who couldn't help. I asked why he wasnt there but she didn't know. I said I'd take my business elsewhere, and I did.
Old 03 February 2012, 07:38 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

My bank manager offfered to take me out to lunch...

...and by the time I got around to accepting (not that long) he had moved to another job!
Old 03 February 2012, 07:48 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm afraid the personal service that you speak of is now only available to certain people or if you pay for it

I have what is called a 'personal/private' banker via Nat West given to me for free. I have his mobile number and if I want anything doing I just call him and he arranges it.

Recently I wanted a safety deposit box and asked when I popped into my local Nat West, they said they no longer provided this service. I rang my personal banker and he arranged with the manager for me to be able to store a box at the very same branch.

There is a downside though, the personal banker will try and sell me things like investments etc, but all in all its a very useful service. I have a direct contact with one person who can arrange just about anything for me.

My wife has something similar with Barclays but she pays for it (?£17/month) with one of those premier account things.

So the bottom line is if you want that personal one to one service you have to either be seen as somebody who the bank really wants as a customer and/or pay a monthly fee for it. I get it for free but even if I had to pay as my wife does I think it would be worthwhile for the added benefit. Those premier acct things (that all banks do) also give you free holiday insurance, rac breakdown cover etc
Old 03 February 2012, 08:41 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

You reminded me that I do have a private banker - they keep in touch regularly and ironically it is for an account I stopped using over ten years ago. In the distant past I met some criteria, qualified and they have not noticed to take the same privilege away even though they have about £19 on deposit!!
Old 03 February 2012, 09:18 AM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Write to your branch 'Bank Manager', Lee. I did in desperation/anger a couple of years ago re ridiculous charges for accidently going overdrawn. I got a result.

Trending Topics

Old 03 February 2012, 11:41 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Invariably I can make an appointment at my local branch (Barclays) to talk about whatever financial product I'm interested in and normally they are helpful with regard to this. Main problem I have is that after this they want to do some sort of personal finance review which envitably leads to them trying to sell me a load of other products that I may/may not want and even so could probably get a better deal elsewhere.
Old 03 February 2012, 12:30 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

It has changed so much over the years from the Capt Mainwaring manager to, at best, a name that is supposed to look after you. All about cost I expect but actual customer service seems to be an anathema to banks these days. Why do you think Barclays has more than 250,000 complaints a year? The guys and girls on the counter are usually friendly but their hands are tied when it comes to offering any real help.

And, as said above, and help offered comes with a string of suggestions for add-on services that I simply don't want - the commission culture

When I had money they were all smiles and visits from a manager to my home. But as soon as you got to know them they were moved on or left.

dl
Old 03 February 2012, 01:16 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like Dingdongler i have a Nat West Relationship Manager....he used to reside in the local Branch and knew quite a few of my colleagues, then they consolidated the lot somewhere near Nottingham I think so now he's ony on the end of the phone.

No cosy office and cup of coffee any more

Shaun