Old 04 February 2012, 01:50 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Blind dates

Have you?
Would you?
Do you?

By that I mean go out with someone you haven't seen nor talked to - not even by text.

Looks like I'm being set up on one. But the paranoia is getting to me now, FFS I don't even have a name to go and facebook stalk. I don't think I'm in the frame of mind to go faffing around with the old dating bullcrap yet again. Sure there is always that chance she could be "the one", but come on lets face it whats the probability here?

OK, if I don't go ahead, I'll never know. But can I really be arsed? I don't think I am. Call me vain or old fashioned, but I think I need a tasty sample to get my attention before going ahead

What do you reckon?

Last edited by ALi-B; 04 February 2012 at 01:51 AM.
Old 04 February 2012, 01:55 AM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been and my mate LIED HIS *** OFF.

Apparently she was 5ft 8, size 12, and long brown hair.

She turned out to be 6ft, size 50, and greasy brown bob.
She was gopping, looked like a female honey monster. I`m no oil painting but my god she was unholy and must have been cobbled together by Frankenstein.
I said I had to go home, I had left the oven on lol.
Old 04 February 2012, 01:57 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

It sounds to me like you're hanging too much expectation on the meeting, Ali. Why not just treat it like any other social event and just see whether you like each other without the expectation?
Old 04 February 2012, 01:58 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jimbob

She was gopping, looked like a female honey monster. I`m no oil painting but my god she was unholy and must have been cobbled together by Frankenstein.

Pics Or It Didn't Happen, lol.
Old 04 February 2012, 02:02 AM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po

Pics Or It Didn't Happen, lol.
FFS, I try and block the images out of my mind, let alone take a pic of the event for posterity!!

I`ll see if I can dig around on facebook and find it!!

I do remember it being called Kylie, but she sure wasnt petit with a tight ****!!
Old 04 February 2012, 02:13 AM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Now I`m not against people of the larger build, as I am one myself.
But I am saying that if something is that bad, then you can say so and shouldn`t have to conform to social pressures.

How I didn`t spew when my mate was shouting, "Just grip her and go with her"!!
My god it has scarred me for life!!

But to answer the OP its how well you trust your friend, just think you could be the booby prize. I have had a few good laughs and a few good times on blind dates, ironically NOT organised by that one mate.
Old 04 February 2012, 03:32 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Never. Pics first!

Trending Topics

Old 04 February 2012, 06:28 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

But I am saying that if something is that bad, then you can say so and shouldn`t have to conform to social pressures.

But to answer the OP its how well you trust your friend, just think you could be the booby prize. I have had a few good laughs and a few good times on blind dates, ironically NOT organised by that one mate.
Is that you or her?
Old 04 February 2012, 06:29 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I went on a near blind date - I had seen a pic - turned out it was when she was 15 years younger and still attractive...
Old 04 February 2012, 08:23 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

By all means go, but pick a venue you know and have an exit strategy in mind. You never know, she could be the one...

by that I mean the one that costs you a house, makes you sell your car for something more family orientated, makes you feel guilty for spending your own money on the tat you like.

enjoy!
Old 04 February 2012, 08:48 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Have you?
Would you?
Do you?

By that I mean go out with someone you haven't seen nor talked to - not even by text.

Looks like I'm being set up on one. But the paranoia is getting to me now, FFS I don't even have a name to go and facebook stalk. I don't think I'm in the frame of mind to go faffing around with the old dating bullcrap yet again. Sure there is always that chance she could be "the one", but come on lets face it whats the probability here?

OK, if I don't go ahead, I'll never know. But can I really be arsed? I don't think I am. Call me vain or old fashioned, but I think I need a tasty sample to get my attention before going ahead

What do you reckon?

Mate, been there done it.
Years ago my mates got fed up with me not having a girlfriend and decided to set me up. Two blind dates . First one was fairly normal , blonde and a bit frumpy. Second one was older, small and bit fiery.She was a multi millionaire and turned up in a brand new TVR...I snubbed her

You could be lucky and it all depends on your mates and how good they are in descriptions
Old 04 February 2012, 08:54 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Done it a couple of time, did them both a couple of times too

The question is, what do you have to lose? Go with the flow of life.
Old 04 February 2012, 09:33 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Just dont go All geeky about tv panels
Old 04 February 2012, 09:43 AM
MR2Mk1
Scooby Regular

It sounds to me like you're hanging too much expectation on the meeting, Ali. Why not just treat it like any other social event and just see whether you like each other without the expectation?
Exactly.

Can’t be any worse than a date I went on years ago with a girl met online. Took her to the cinema and not knowing what the film was about went to see American Pie. For some reason there wasn’t a 2nd date?
Old 04 February 2012, 11:06 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
As of yesterday I've been married for 9 years to the last blind date I went on. So they do turn out OK.

Dave
As long as she doesn't get her sight back!
Old 04 February 2012, 11:09 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 185 Likes on 142 Posts

Do it. if you don't end up ****ing you could be great friends....
Old 04 February 2012, 11:19 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

My worst fears summed up.

Originally Posted by fitzscoob
By all means go, but pick a venue you know and have an exit strategy in mind. You never know, she could be the one...

by that I mean the one that costs you a house, makes you sell your car for something more family orientated, makes you feel guilty for spending your own money on the tat you like.

enjoy!
Second worst fear. Exit strategies are not my strong point.

You know very well what those awkward moments are like I once had a mate hide in the mens bogs in a pub for the majority of an evening to get away from a random woman that latched onto him. Schoolboy error....always go for the fire escape first. However in this case doing a runner isn't going to work as its not a random person so can have repercussions.

Thats the thing its not a normal event, it is? Its something laid on and prearranged with a specific purpose in mind. Its not like going down the pub with the lads or a house party or the general social mingling of being out and about or whatever.

I don't know why, and its not really helping, but I have this thought train of thinking that prearranged dates done by third parties is like putting a dog out to stud; The dog is chosen because he has the right attributes, then owner shuts him in a room with a bitch and says "there you go boy....get on with it". LOL.

Last edited by ALi-B; 04 February 2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04 February 2012, 11:31 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow shes stunning have you got a number???
does she like fat men that live with their mum and drive a wrx??
Old 04 February 2012, 11:33 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

ALi, you might be looking too much into this. Treat it as a bit of fun. One of my friends met her husband this way. She was a nervous wreck before the date, but it turned out they were perfectly suited.
Or, arrange to meet somewhere, where you can have a looksie first, without her seeing. Then you could bottle out if you don't like what you see
Old 04 February 2012, 11:43 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by hutton_d
As of yesterday I've been married for 9 years to the last blind date I went on. So they do turn out OK.

Dave
So there is a reason to avoid the blind date!
Old 04 February 2012, 11:46 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

is like putting a dog out to stud; The dog is chosen because he has the right attributes, then owner shuts him in a room with a bitch and says "there you go boy....get on with it". LOL.
Whats the problem with that
Old 04 February 2012, 11:50 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You have had some perfectly good civilised advice so far.

Just turn up, be pleasant and enjoy the evening whether she is attractive or not. Treat it as an evening out, you don't have to continue on another date, but you never know-you might even like her, and you might be lucky in that she likes you too!

Les
Old 04 February 2012, 12:44 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Have you?
Would you?
Do you?

What do you reckon?

Never been on one, but IMO its not that different to the so-called normal way of meeting people. You may bump into them (without having seen their pic or any prior communication with them) in the uni, work, North Pole, or on the moon. You look at them, and you know if you phyisically fancy them. That 30 secs rule is not total bollox in the terms of judging your basic instincts for someone. You will know in first 30 secs whether you want to sh@g their brains out or not. Then you talk to them provided you have a bottle (down a beer for some Dutch courage, if you need to), or if you are naturally smart and cocky to spin a yarn. This communication gives you some clues about their voice, their way of talking and their general views of the world. Then, you walk them home. This give you a good idea how they walk. Then you go back to your own home, and contemplate overnight whether to see them again or not. You make a decision, and go with that.

IMO having seen at least a picture helps, although stills can be deceiving. What if the first encounter makes you wanna go to the toilet for a chunder, I understand. Basically, I suggest you stay confident, and conclude the meeting with "I'll call you or something......" Well, just don't call or text again. If you get moidered by their calls/text, come clean, and tell them that the "thuppethial" spark wasn't there for you, and you just want to be friends with them. A friend of the kind that they'll never meet again. End of.

Anyway, above comparison of a blind date to a nrmal date should make you a bit more stong about the forthcoming calamity. Go for it, and tell us all about it afterwards to let us know how it went for you.

About being set by others into things like that, set-ups don't always work. Then again, go with an open mind. You never know.

One piece of advice: If you think that the girl isn't your type, and you want to do one desperately, just start churning out some bollox involving lawnmowers and your mechanical achievements. She will soon find an excuse to do one herself. Then you can ask the waiter for "Cheque Please!" with a sigh of relief.

Last edited by Turbohot; 04 February 2012 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Spellings, of course! What else.
Old 04 February 2012, 12:58 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
One piece of advice: If you think that the girl isn't your type, and you want to do one desperately, just start churning out some bollox involving lawnmowers and your mechanical achievements. She will soon find an excuse to do one herself. Then you can ask the waiter for "Cheque Please!" with a sigh of relief.
Old 04 February 2012, 02:13 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Turbohot

You know me far too well

Well after spending the morning bludgeoning a piece of reluctant rusty peice of automotive junk into submission with a sledgehammer. My mind is now a little more focussed.

My issue here is lack of control (where I'm going, who I'm seeing etc). Now, I don't like not being in control. So obviously the answer here is to take control of the situation and put it on my terms. So I'm firing off a reply saying I'm not comfortable with blind dates and see if there is a way of organising something that I'm more comfortable with, such a group outing to somewhere like a day in a city seeing the sights.
Old 04 February 2012, 03:06 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Yep, been married to her for two years, and have a beautiful daughter with her as well.
Old 04 February 2012, 03:09 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

You know me far too well

'deedy.

Well after spending the morning bludgeoning a piece of reluctant rusty peice of automotive junk into submission with a sledgehammer. My mind is now a little more focussed.

My issue here is lack of control (where I'm going, who I'm seeing etc). Now, I don't like not being in control. So obviously the answer here is to take control of the situation and put it on my terms. So I'm firing off a reply saying I'm not comfortable with blind dates and see if there is a way of organising something that I'm more comfortable with, such a group outing to somewhere like a day in a city seeing the sights.
I do understand, Ali. You don't have to be others' puppet on a string to sit through a nerve wrecking blind date with a complete stranger. Imagine if she turns out to be your perfect type. That could/will make you go lost for words, whatever you manage to speak could come out from your mouth like some funnarjunnarbunnar mumbo-jumbo, your lips will go dry and crusty, you'll lose eye contact with the girl, your heart will either beat at 100 mph, or it will stop beating! What if you pass out or something, man? LOL Jokes apart, I think group outing is a very sensible idea. You can make your assertive suggestion to your mates, and this way, you are in control.
Old 04 February 2012, 06:01 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

What are your motives? Are you maybe looking for a partner, then go for it. If she's a moose/nightmare, then its a couple of hours out of your life but its not as if you have to go down on her as a desert is it? Be polite, enjoy the time and then go your own separate ways.

If on the other other hand you find her to be a total babe, then fantastic, game on and get on with it - don't forget she might have her own opinion and that might be that you're a **** buy hey, if you don't try then you'll never know.

My g/friend was for all intents & purposes a blind date - we chatted on match for a couple of weeks, got to know each other, arranged a date before she showed me a picture of herself and wow, she's hot But the thing is, I would still have turned up not knowing what she looked like. Prior to that had done the internet dating thing and even speed dating (a (girl)friend ran a singles club and always needed men, so always invited) because if nothing ventured, nothing gained. Life is about experience and whilst some are bad, a lot are good and if you hide away you'll never get to find out.

Go for it m8 and then tell us all about it
Old 04 February 2012, 06:15 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I went on one, had no idea of what the person looked like, had text contact but that was it.
Anyway got approached by the date in the pub, she was properly nasty. I denied who I was and stated I had no idea what she was talking about.
I saw her walk away and use her phone, clearly trying to ring me, I had covered this eventuality though and left my own phone in the car and just gone in with my work phone.

I made a call at the bar on my work phone and then finished my drink and left.

Never doing that again.

Quick Reply: Blind dates