Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any drummers?

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2012, 07:54 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any drummers?

My 10 year old son is getting into drums and having lessons, I want to get a kit at home for him (and me ) to practise on. Given the noise, I'm favouring an electronic entry set, something like the Alesis 6m. Am I heading in the right direction ?

D

Last edited by Dunk; 05 February 2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05 February 2012, 08:18 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i bought an Alesis drum kit for my son

I know nothing about drum kits but it was recommended by a professional drummer
Old 05 February 2012, 08:26 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I recently sold my Roland TD-9 KX drums which were a superb piece of kit.

The Alessis would be a good starter kit but I would definately pay for lessons from the off to stop him developing bad habits and he will need to practice , practice , practice to be any good. It is very hard and frustrating when you start but as I said it's practice and he will get there.

Chip
Old 05 February 2012, 09:36 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

The Alesis reviews seem ok as a starter kit, I'm heading towards buying new as I'm concerned about buying a kit that doesn't work or has been hammered.
(He's having lessons......and loving it, just wish I was 10 again!)

D
Old 05 February 2012, 09:43 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Yamaha DTexplorer for practice at home. Good for the beginner too as the drum brain has about 25 different kits to choose from, along with songs to play along too (with or without drums), and it also has a click track which is very important for developing tempo when learning. The kit sounds great through the headphones or an amplifier:

One thing to note is that playing on rubber pads is not the same as playing acoustically and there is a massive difference but for keeping the neighbours happy, learning basic routines, songs, and getting to grips with repetitive drum patterns etc (which is an absolute must when starting out) it's great. There's also an input so you can play along to CDs MP3s etc (which is how I learn covers).

A good solid piece of kit IMHO - mine is still going strong after 6 years and I have gigged with it too!

I also had a Roland TD-9 before the yamaha.

One other thing to note is that whilst the "noise" is nowhere near as obtrusive as an acoustic kit, there will be a dull thud when the pads are being struck. I therefore have my kit sat on rubber mats to try and stop the vibrations traveling through the house.

As Chip says, lessons are a must to prevent the development of bad habits and develop good sticking.

All the best...

Last edited by Jonnys3; 05 February 2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05 February 2012, 09:48 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Electric drums are fantastic to practise on, but if your son gets in a band he's going to need an acoustic set with real cymbals. The reason is, you are going to need one hell of a PA setup to reproduce the impact of a real drum set in a live setting, and you're going to need almost as much PA pointing backwards at the band in order for the drums to be heard and to sound good to the players onstage. That kind of equipment is complex to set up successfully and very expensive, bulky and heavy.
Old 05 February 2012, 09:55 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Electric drums are fantastic to practise on, but if your son gets in a band he's going to need an acoustic set with real cymbals. The reason is, you are going to need one hell of a PA setup to reproduce the impact of a real drum set in a live setting, and you're going to need almost as much PA pointing backwards at the band in order for the drums to be heard and to sound good to the players onstage. That kind of equipment is complex to set up successfully and very expensive, bulky and heavy.
Agreed - buy him a Tama grand star and a Gibraltar rack and be done with it - then buy a trailer to cart it around!!!!
Old 05 February 2012, 10:02 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
Agreed - buy him a Tama grand star and a Gibraltar rack and be done with it - then buy a trailer to cart it around!!!!
LOL - My lad (13) has a Tama Superstar Hyperdrive kit with Zildjian A and A custom cymbals. The price of good cymbals has gone through the roof!! Two years ado a decent crash cymbal was about £120; the same cymbal now is £175! Sheer madness!!
Old 05 February 2012, 10:10 PM
Lau
Scooby Regular

my first drum kit was a peavy international series 2 (acoustic) and with the proper paddings on it wasn't actully to bad noise wise didnt disturb my neighbours when playing it drunk at 2am hahahahaha
Old 05 February 2012, 10:11 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

same cymbal now is £175! Sheer madness!!
Please don't tell me this now......I'm not listening.

Thanks for the advice, if he gets the point where he's good enough to gig, I'd gladly help with the acoustic kit. Until that point it's electronic and maintaining my sanity and neighbourly peace.

D
Old 05 February 2012, 10:13 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

And of course mum, or more likely dad, has drawn the short straw when it comes to taking him to and collecting from a gig with all that kit

Get him to do vocals as mikes don't take up a whole car

Good luck to your lad btw. dl
Old 06 February 2012, 12:42 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Yamaha DTexplorer

I've actually got one of these for sale...

Well, it's not mine, its a mates who's storing it in my garage and he wants to sell it as he's got a new one. The pole on the right (the one which has that one drum on it) has snapped off, but just needs a replacement bracket thingy but i can find out if my mate will sell it, and if he does i'll find out where a replacement bracket can be bought if you're interested?
Old 06 February 2012, 07:49 AM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
Yamaha DTexplorer

I've actually got one of these for sale...

Well, it's not mine, its a mates who's storing it in my garage and he wants to sell it as he's got a new one. The pole on the right (the one which has that one drum on it) has snapped off, but just needs a replacement bracket thingy but i can find out if my mate will sell it, and if he does i'll find out where a replacement bracket can be bought if you're interested?
Sounds interesting, send me a PM with what he's after for it and where you are.

D