Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

House survey issues - anyone had this?

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2012, 08:01 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default House survey issues - anyone had this?

I have not had the full report yet but am selling my house and apparently the buyer has had their mortgage refused on the bases of a small old extension on our property not conforming to regs.

The house is probably over 100 years old, a little cottage and about 40+ years ago had a little extension added.

The extension is 'single block' and so doesnt conform to current regulations.
Does have a proper slate roof though

There are hundreds of properties like this so why are they not offering a solution.

Plus they want to know why I want 50k more than I paid for it!

Anyone had similar survey issues?

Last edited by LeeMac; 06 February 2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06 February 2012, 08:29 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unusual to refuse the mortgage........the would likely just put a retention on it. Is this some sort of ruse to get you to drop the price ?

Shaun
Old 06 February 2012, 08:31 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Maybe. I am already helping out with their deposit and dropped it a couple of K.
There is no helping some people
Old 06 February 2012, 08:33 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I's say its a ruse too. Have you proof the mortgage company said this or is just the word of your purchasers?

I had a similar thing a while back but there was no issue other than the purchasers mortgage company under valuing our house by 20k!
Old 06 February 2012, 08:33 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

^^^^^^^ probably , craftiest people on the plannet. Tell them if they cant get a mortgage thats their problem. Though , you probably have no option , hence the 50k questions !
Old 06 February 2012, 09:02 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

It came from my solicitors

I asked them surely this isnt uncommon (single block)

solicitors answer - I dont know!
Old 06 February 2012, 09:04 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

I have today put my case forward as to why it is 50k up, slideshow showing the property when I bought, where the money went and what its like now
Old 06 February 2012, 09:20 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Tell them it will go back on the market in a weeks time if they can't get a mortgage, but instruct the estate agent tomorrow, they are ****ing you about.
Old 06 February 2012, 09:24 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

I told the agent to continue marketing it anyway

Apart from having a sale, I do want these to buy it, young first time buyers.

Last edited by LeeMac; 06 February 2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06 February 2012, 09:38 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Does it have planning permission? Can see why mortgage might get pulled if that were the case.

Anything built before current Regs are in place would fall foul of what you mention above which I suggest is a lot of property

TX.
Old 06 February 2012, 09:46 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I doubt if there is a single 40 year old extension in the country which conforms to today's regs.

Ruse but mortgage company probably playing silly buggers 'cos that's what they do.

dl
Old 06 February 2012, 09:53 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something doesn't add up.

Building regs are not retrospective. Since regs change every year how on earth could a 40 year old extension meet current regs??

After about 7 years iirc even buildings made without planning permission cannot be subject to an enforcement order.

Lenders may well refuse to lend on houses made from 'non standard construction' ie not brick or block. What is the main part of the house made from and what is the extension made from?
Old 06 February 2012, 09:56 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Ask to see the report.
Old 06 February 2012, 10:08 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

House is made from granite, ext from concrete block (not breeze block) rendered, apex slate roof, still in good nick, no visible damp issues, just small !

Solicitor has requested the report although she seemed as though we were not entitled to see it

Its a right game
Old 06 February 2012, 10:15 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Is it possible the extension had no permission or something or is not on the registered documents?

I mean you can't just build what you like.

I dunno why people build ****e extensions. I looked at one house the other day, early 1900's, and it had a cheap 70's extension build on with different brick and then half pebble dashed. I left the viewing after 5 mins.
Old 06 February 2012, 10:24 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Once upon a time you could build what you wanted, not sure on planning.

for me it depends on the potential

a half pebble dashed ext wouldnt bother me if it overlooked fields or with land etc
at the right price ofcourse

I once considered an ex council cornish unit bungalow (like a concrete garage) because it was in a great location.
Old 06 February 2012, 10:29 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

what difference does what you paid for the property make, its what you are seeling it for and the price that you all agreed that matters.

As far as the extension goes its very old so probably won't meet any planning regs that are not written on anything but slate.
Old 06 February 2012, 10:32 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Yeah but why doesn't it meet regs? Might be lined with exposed asbestos for all we know.
Old 06 February 2012, 10:35 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

doesnt meet regs cos its single block

who knows why they are interested in price paid v price offered
theres a 20k garage for a start, and hot water
Old 06 February 2012, 10:53 PM
Tommy2396
Scooby Regular

Planning permission issues have long gone. if this only a small extension it's difficult to see the outright refusal of a mortgage on the property. Must be more to the valuation than the extension if it is only a small extension and sometimes the Seller will never find out the full details as it is personal report to the lender.

However lenders are funny about single skin extensions for obvious reasons, as I think they are classed as sub standard constructions due to extreme poor thermal efficiency and strength

Frustrating but that's the way it is. If your really concerned IMO I would get in touch with a chartered surveyor who owns a local estate agency for an opinion as to why exactly he thinks it's failed on valuation so you can look into potential issues further.
Old 06 February 2012, 11:07 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

I can see why they question it but not oppose it, especially when it is common in these parts (Cornwall), both my neighbours have similar extension albeit larger and flat roof

having said that, why question it, they will have done that over and over before now
just mention it, tell me how you will go with it
they make out you have plonked a shed in a field and try to get away with it being a house and at the same time treat you like you are on trial for murder

The surveyor wouldnt tell me who instructed them

Last edited by LeeMac; 06 February 2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06 February 2012, 11:24 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As the purchasers commissioned the report and paid for it you don't have a legal right for a copy nor do you have a right to who instructed them......

Shaun
Old 07 February 2012, 06:00 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

The price you paid is pretty irrelevant really, it's what the market value is now that matters, as a general rule house prices rise, it's a fact of life.
Sounds like they are trying it on to me, maybe receiving bad advice, either way I would threaten to pull out of the sale, as they are first time buyers that won't want that to happen.
Old 07 February 2012, 06:30 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Yeah but why doesn't it meet regs? Might be lined with exposed asbestos for all we know.

It's been explained already. Building regs change every year, especially when it comes to things like insulation. There is NO way a fourty year old extension will meet current regs, it doesn't need to.

Its like expecting a twenty year old car to meet current emissions and safety regs, it doesn't need to, only new cars do.
Old 07 February 2012, 08:59 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

tbh this issue us purely market driven, in a seller’s market it is not an issue, in a buyer’s market it is an issue

I sold a property in 2000 (very much a seller’s market), and a couple who’s offer I had accepted had an "issue" with some gable brackets holding up the chimney breast in the roof

their surveyor said they did not conform to current regs, so I said fine, do what you have to do (so they went ahead getting all sorts of quotes, presumably to get me to lower the price

and I went ahead and sold it anyway, 2 months later for 10k more than i accepted from them

they seemed quite surprised when I rang them, and told them I had sold the house

and I hear the same house now go for over 500k (more than double what I sold it for)
Old 07 February 2012, 09:26 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Had similar on the place we were buying, there was work done that the vendors couldn't produce any building regs compliance for (or evidence it was done before regs existed) or any planning permission etc.

We just had to buy an indemnity policy to cover the lenders back, cost about £60 IIRC
Old 10 February 2012, 12:53 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Well, I have been waiting since last Friday for my solicitor to get back to me

I now know the sale is not happening but am yet to hear anything from my solicitor since they said they were waiting for the report so any issue can be resolved.

I have been told by my agent that they are no longer buying, probably no option if their mortgage co or their solicitor wont pass on any info

All very strange, almost as though i'm trying to pass off a shed in a field as a 100 year old house

Far too many middle men trying to pass themselves off as experts if you ask me

Funny how you can have the ok for a conservatory kitchen (seen on a prog this week) but not a 50 year old brick built kitchen just cos of no building regs

Last edited by LeeMac; 10 February 2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10 February 2012, 01:38 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Could it be an insurance issue?

The MIL has a single block extension, like a porch, but housing the washing machine with a feed to an outside tap. Last winter the pipe burst in the extension. We didn't claim from the insurance company, but could understand that they might refuse to pay out.

If the purchaser can't get buildings insurance then the mortgager is not obliged to provide a mortgage.

Say a ramshackle extension (not suggesting yours is) fell and killed someone and there was no insurance in place. Say it pulled down the house, the mortgager will not see his money back without insurance, and an insurance company won't cover something defective.

Just a possibility. Refer them to your current insurance company.
Old 10 February 2012, 02:10 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Something doesn't add up.

Building regs are not retrospective. Since regs change every year how on earth could a 40 year old extension meet current regs??

After about 7 years iirc even buildings made without planning permission cannot be subject to an enforcement order.

Lenders may well refuse to lend on houses made from 'non standard construction' ie not brick or block. What is the main part of the house made from and what is the extension made from?
All quite correct Caveat emptor (buyer beware) still applies

Quite likely there is ni surveyors report or they are deliberatley skewing it to there own advantage.

this smell like your buyer taking the p**s walk away
Old 10 February 2012, 02:51 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Just been to solicitors to ask why exactly did they pull out and if they had the report

no to the report and ask the buyers yourself !

And there is me thinking this was their job

anyway, I await the next lot

Quick Reply: House survey issues - anyone had this?