Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cameron - is anyone elese worried about his apparent lust for war?

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2012, 03:12 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cameron - is anyone elese worried about his apparent lust for war?

Watching the speeches from Cameron and Obama last night I was struck by how measured Obama seemed in his comments about the possibility of military intervention in both Syria and Iran and conversely how seemingly ready Cameron is to hurl us into two more wars.

His language was along the lines of 'no time to waste, let's prepare for war and get something done about these problems' whereas Obama was far more keen to take a bit more time and use every slice of diplomacy.

It was like watching role reversal in actual fact!

Casmeron worries me as we haven't exactly done a lot of good in Iraq, Afghanistan or Libya and yet he is seemingly lining us up for crack at the Iranians more or less using the excuse if we don't get in there then Israel will.

Not sure that is the best reason I can think of for provoking a nation far more military aware than those we have messed with so far.

Also how the hell are we as a country going to pay for this? We are broke, in the economic wilderness and in the process of having our AAA rating removed yet this guy thinks we need some more wars to fight!

Scary times ahead

Last edited by f1_fan; 15 March 2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 15 March 2012, 04:02 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

If all our military withdrew from Libya, Afghanistan and Iraq. What other use would the UK have for its huge military.

I see this as jobs for the boys....saving face because our politicians don't want the reputation of being responsible for making thousands of troops redundant. Nor can it be seen employing them to sit in UK barracks twiddling their thumbs and having £billions of mothballed equipment.

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 March 2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: moff-balled!!??? FFS. :mad:
Old 15 March 2012, 04:27 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Errrrrrrr, Obama is up for election this year?
Cameron has THREE years to woo UK voters
Old 15 March 2012, 04:44 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
If all our military withdrew from Libya, Afghanistan and Iraq. What other use would the UK have for its huge military.
Huge military?

Syria has a bigger standing army that we do. Have you see how many personnel are in the Indian army or the Chinese army? Our military is tiny in comparison.
Old 15 March 2012, 06:09 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Which doesn't necessarily mean very much. Iraq had a huge army, but were utterly steamrollered. There is a world of difference between a professional army and a conscripted one.

The UK does have a huge military, it has, or had until a couple of years ago, the second largest annnual defence budget on the planet, at around $55billion (£35billion), (compared to the US at $400billion). I think with the the SDR we are now something like 4th
Old 15 March 2012, 06:11 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Aye, like we'd have steamrollered Iraq without the Yanks.
Old 15 March 2012, 06:23 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Watching the speeches from Cameron and Obama last night I was struck by how measured Obama seemed in his comments about the possibility of military intervention in both Syria and Iran and conversely how seemingly ready Cameron is to hurl us into two more wars.

His language was along the lines of 'no time to waste, let's prepare for war and get something done about these problems' whereas Obama was far more keen to take a bit more time and use every slice of diplomacy.

It was like watching role reversal in actual fact!

Casmeron worries me as we haven't exactly done a lot of good in Iraq, Afghanistan or Libya and yet he is seemingly lining us up for crack at the Iranians more or less using the excuse if we don't get in there then Israel will.

Not sure that is the best reason I can think of for provoking a nation far more military aware than those we have messed with so far.

Also how the hell are we as a country going to pay for this? We are broke, in the economic wilderness and in the process of having our AAA rating removed yet this guy thinks we need some more wars to fight!

Scary times ahead
Not sure what you are on about here.

It's Cameron desperately trying to restrain the US and Israel over Iran. The very last thing Cameron wants right now is a Iranian conflict.
Obama's pressures are of course very different, he has a strong pro-Israel lobby to appease in an election year and Republican candidates queuing up to sound more hawkish than the last.

I sense Cameron wants tougher action on Syria, but he knows full well nothing happens without the US.
Old 15 March 2012, 06:28 PM
deepy
Scooby Regular

Britain under Cameron is hardly likely to take unilateral action against Syria or Iran, but Cameron is perhaps voicing support should America choose to do so. The rights or wrongs of actually getting involved are debatable, but not by me because I cant decide.
Old 15 March 2012, 06:30 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

We can't put the burden if Iraq and Afghanistan down to Cameron.

Iirc it's not long till we completely pull out of Iraq?

And in all honesty he went about the Libya conflict well.
Old 15 March 2012, 06:33 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
We can't put the burden if Iraq and Afghanistan down to Cameron.

Iirc it's not long till we completely pull out of Iraq?

And in all honesty he went about the Libya conflict well.

The last British soldiers left Iraq 3 years ago
Old 15 March 2012, 06:37 PM
bigredrob
Scooby Regular

I wonder if the yanks would help us in the Falklands, ie" Boots on the ground", if it kicks off?
Old 15 March 2012, 06:37 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Which doesn't necessarily mean very much. Iraq had a huge army, but were utterly steamrollered. There is a world of difference between a professional army and a conscripted one.

The UK does have a huge military, it has, or had until a couple of years ago, the second largest annnual defence budget on the planet, at around $55billion (£35billion), (compared to the US at $400billion). I think with the the SDR we are now something like 4th
That is in term of spending, and it is debatable how accurately that reflects anything as it is all normalised in US dollars.
Old 15 March 2012, 06:40 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant

Hi Pete

US defense spending is actually more like $700bn
Old 15 March 2012, 06:40 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
The last British soldiers left Iraq 3 years ago
No they haven't.
Old 15 March 2012, 06:41 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigredrob
I wonder if the yanks would help us in the Falklands, ie" Boots on the ground", if it kicks off?
I think if we ever need more boots on the ground in the Falklands, then the game will be up
Old 15 March 2012, 06:42 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
No they haven't.

What makes you say that?

Last British combat soldiers left on 30th April 2009
Old 15 March 2012, 06:43 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

My brother in law is currently on tour there.
Old 15 March 2012, 06:44 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I can't write in much simpler English, but I will try if you want me to.

You may say Cameron is trying to hold back the US from Iran, but that is most definitely not the way it came across last night in their speeches!
Old 15 March 2012, 06:45 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
Yeah but apart from that what makes you say that?
Old 15 March 2012, 06:46 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
Well he must be lost then
Old 15 March 2012, 06:47 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Certainly not lost. But cannot go to in any more detail on the www
Old 15 March 2012, 06:49 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
Certainly not lost. But cannot go to in any more detail on the www
Roger that
Old 15 March 2012, 08:25 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

I think the PM's equipped himself well over there; I actually can't think of a member on the other side of The House who'd have represented Britain with comparable statesmanship. They make a good partnership; imagine McCain and Miliband discussing policy!
Old 15 March 2012, 10:39 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
I think the PM's equipped himself well over there; I actually can't think of a member on the other side of The House who'd have represented Britain with comparable statesmanship. They make a good partnership; imagine McCain and Miliband discussing policy!

"equpped?"

Yeah don't think Millipede is an Air Force 1 candidate

I did hear that Israel doesn't have the in-flight refuelling aircraft to get their attack planes to Iran's underground facility so would need US help.

Doubt if Obama or Cameron will touch Syria. May be the Russians are right?

dl
Old 15 March 2012, 10:45 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

It's Cameron desperately trying to restrain the US and Israel over Iran. The very last thing Cameron wants right now is a Iranian conflict.
Obama's pressures are of course very different, he has a strong pro-Israel lobby to appease in an election year and Republican candidates queuing up to sound more hawkish than the last.

I sense Cameron wants tougher action on Syria, but he knows full well nothing happens without the US.
I listened to the speeches last night too and this is exactly how it came across to me, certainly didnt hear it the way the OP heard it, in fact in some parts when Cameron spoke about being pretty relaxed and holding off you could see the fustration in Obamas face, he looked like he'd been forced to chill out lol
Old 15 March 2012, 11:02 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I actually can't think of a member on the other side of The House who'd have represented Britain with comparable statesmanship.
Well yes I certainly take your point there!
Old 15 March 2012, 11:05 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
I listened to the speeches last night too and this is exactly how it came across to me, certainly didnt hear it the way the OP heard it, in fact in some parts when Cameron spoke about being pretty relaxed and holding off you could see the fustration in Obamas face, he looked like he'd been forced to chill out lol

Good if Obama got a bit frustrated with Cameron's bright ideas. I remember how Obama treated Cameron in their first meeting. That wasn't very nice of Obama. I had been waiting since then for Cameron to show Obama that he wasn't just a pretty face but also a right ear basher.
Old 15 March 2012, 11:17 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Obama hates the Brits anyway. He's a Marxist Muslim after all. Oh yeah and his Grandfather was mistreated by the Brits in Kenya or something.

I do recall when Brown went over there he got some extremely 'crap' gifts from the Obamas...a kind of snub I suppose.
Old 15 March 2012, 11:19 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by f1_fan

(
Well if you want to "moving forwards" you've got to start somewhere, and getting rid of Gadaffi and Saddam was IMO as good a place as any.
As for the theocracy currently running Iran, well I'm sure they do a lot of good work for charity, but I'd have thought the Persian civilisation could have come to more than this.
I say room 101 for them as well.
Old 15 March 2012, 11:21 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Robin Cook?

Last edited by cster; 15 March 2012 at 11:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Cameron - is anyone elese worried about his apparent lust for war?