Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

why is this Government cutting the wrong things!

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2012, 12:56 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why is this Government cutting the wrong things!

Yet again this Government is cutting the wrong things apparently now they are cutting the starting salary for a Police office by 20%

They have been busy making serving Soldiers redundant what the F**k are they thinking, there is plenty of other things to cut first
Old 16 March 2012, 01:02 AM
jef
Scooby Regular

my cousin is a new-ish copper

and in line with rest of the nations services, its no longer about providing adequate service, but all about ticking boxes that at audit time give a positive refelection/protect the company from law suits US style
Old 16 March 2012, 01:41 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

They have the ever growing immigrants to think of. The originals don't matter. If I was younger, I would be outta here
Old 16 March 2012, 01:56 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

I think the fact they are cutting the wage just shows the opinon they have of the value of a Proffessional Police force and also the idea of fast tracking people with degrees to the top with no practical experience of Policing who will then set operational policy it makes me so angry that they can do such stupid things.
Old 16 March 2012, 09:24 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adrian F
there is plenty of other things to cut first
Immigrants throats?
Old 16 March 2012, 09:55 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by urban
Immigrants throats?

Old 16 March 2012, 11:10 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

See below......... maybe it's to offset the cost of police pensions which are arguably the most generous of the public sector pensions

The PPS provides a two thirds final-salary pension payable at 50 after 30 years service. There is a 1/60th accrual rate for the first 20 years then accrual is at 2/60ths for the final 10 years to give 40/60ths after 30 years.

The NPPS scheme started in April 2006.

The normal pension age is at 55. The pension aims to be half final salary, plus a lump sum of four-times annual pension, after 35 years' service. So the accrual rate is 1/70th to produce a maximum 35/70ths pension.
Old 16 March 2012, 11:24 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

And all the fat ones will get a pay cut too.
Old 16 March 2012, 11:28 AM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

This report was done by a proven liar
http://m.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/oct/...k&type=article

Dont think for one nano-second this is an independant report, this is a 100% gov report.

Be very scared folks this is the serious begining of the end of independant UK Policing. Get ready for private police s***e and policing for profit from here on in

Read the Inspector Gadget website to see what this nonsense is all really like
Old 16 March 2012, 11:50 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Well the fitness regime alone is going to halve the number of traffic cops for starters

dl
Old 16 March 2012, 11:54 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David Lock
Well the fitness regime alone is going to halve the number of traffic cops for starters

dl

Old 16 March 2012, 11:59 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by jef
my cousin is a new-ish copper

and in line with rest of the nations services, its no longer about providing adequate service, but all about ticking boxes that at audit time give a positive refelection/protect the company from law suits US style
I know a guy who quit the force for the similar reasons. However this wasn't a recent thing, it was mainly during NL's ASBO period.

He's a carpenter/builder these days. Says its a much more honest living where his efforts have something to show for at the end of the day.

Last edited by ALi-B; 16 March 2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 16 March 2012, 02:05 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonehead
This report was done by a proven liar
http://m.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/oct/...k&type=article

Dont think for one nano-second this is an independant report, this is a 100% gov report.

Be very scared folks this is the serious begining of the end of independant UK Policing. Get ready for private police s***e and policing for profit from here on in

Read the Inspector Gadget website to see what this nonsense is all really like
Policing for profit? Like we haven't got that already....?
Old 16 March 2012, 05:16 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

.......maybe he should have been a copper and a carpenter.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-1999204.html

Shaun
Old 16 March 2012, 05:19 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adrian F
Yet again this Government is cutting the wrong things apparently now they are cutting the starting salary for a Police office by 20%
They can all their pay 20% for all I care and save me some tax.
Old 16 March 2012, 05:38 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

It'll only go one way under a Tory government, I can't believe anyone can really be surprised!
Old 16 March 2012, 05:46 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
It'll only go one way under a Tory government, I can't believe anyone can really be surprised!
Upwards, after Lying Labour, you mean?
Old 16 March 2012, 07:42 PM
martinbrown
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
See below......... maybe it's to offset the cost of police pensions which are arguably the most generous of the public sector pensions
The police will be paying 12.5% of their pay in pensions contributions as of next month, which is a hell of a lot more than near enough all other public sector workers. No-one ever see's fit to mention that though
Old 16 March 2012, 07:57 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

From next month I pay 11.4 % (I think that's about right, might be a tad more)...... I get 50% of my salary after 40 years service.

Actually If I was a policeman I could retire this year on 2/3rds of my salary...........Does anyone in the police force mention that ?

As it is I need to work for another 10 years to get my pension
Old 16 March 2012, 08:10 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

i dont see the justification of trying to continue a welfare state for all when we cant even afford a decent police force or a very small army
Old 16 March 2012, 08:17 PM
marcevs72
Scooby Regular

just had my council tax bill through and the amount for the police has a 5% rise added so where is that extra money going if they are cutting jobs ad wages??? plus cutting army pensions as well.cant wait for election time.......
Old 16 March 2012, 09:16 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by marcevs72
just had my council tax bill through and the amount for the police has a 5% rise added so where is that extra money going if they are cutting jobs ad wages??? plus cutting army pensions as well.cant wait for election time.......

Nor me......because Lying Labour are unlectable under Miliput.
Old 17 March 2012, 03:51 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Upwards, after Lying Labour, you mean?
He knows that's true but cannot bring himself to admit it
Old 18 March 2012, 08:44 AM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

What is a normal coppers wage after his/her initail induction ??

£600-£700 a week ??

I have never seen a skint copper,they all have that "im considerbly richer than you" attitude about them...

Last edited by fatscoobfella1; 18 March 2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 18 March 2012, 10:15 AM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

http://www.annaraccoon.com/politics/...atwalk-copper/

And:

Crime is going up, so we should reduce the number of police and undermine their morale. Such is the apparent direction of Government policy. Police spending is being cut by 20 per cent; the number of police officers has already plummeted. In the 12 months to the end of September 2011, the number of officers fell by 6,144 to 138,871, the lowest since 2002.

Over the same period, according to the British Crime Survey (BCS), crime increased by 4 per cent from 9.3 million to 9.7 million. Crime in public, including theft from the person and violence, varies with the availability of the police: such crimes have increased most. Personal crime, a category including violent crime, rose by 11 per cent. In London, where police numbers fell by over 1,200, robberies were up 13 per cent.

The Government prefers police-recorded crime, which shows a fall from 4.2 million to 4.1 million offences. But the ethics of crime recording were undermined by the last government’s target regime. Many forces have “crime management units”, nicknamed “crime massage units” by most coppers. The BCS is a large sample survey of over 46,000 adults, which is far less prone to manipulation.

Their 2010 manifesto gave the impression that Conservatives respected public servants and promised to restore “professional discretion” to the police. This week, however, it has published the Winsor report, which speaks of the police with disdain. The roots of policing, it says, lie in “blue-collar work for skilled manual workers who clock in and out”. It reinforces the “lower social and professional standing” of police officers. The report wants them to have skills “distinctly above those of factory workers”. It’s almost as if Mr Winsor thinks the Miss Marple books encapsulate modern policing, in which detectives are easily outwitted by an old spinster, and rank and file bobbies are politely requested to go to the back entrance where cook will give them a cup of tea.

The report notes that there are many candidates for police vacancies and concludes that the Government could cut starting pay. But any good employer knows that if you want motivated staff, you don’t insult them by appearing to pay as little as you can get away with. Not to mention the fact that the police are expected to put their own lives at risk for the public good. And not forgetting the fact that bribery is commonplace in overseas countries with low-paid police forces and no sense of vocation.

The police are currently banned from going on strike and in return they have a special pay negotiating board and security of tenure. They can be dismissed, but only for serious misconduct. The Winsor report argues that it should be possible to make them redundant whenever budgets are tight. It shows no awareness that, if we want individuals to feel that to be a police officer is to have a vocation and not just a job, then it is right to provide a lifelong career with a pension.

Of course, the police, like other public services, will benefit from sustained pressure to eliminate waste, but overdoing this could threaten public safety. The Conservatives’ 2010 manifesto was conscious that we had a serious crime problem and promised to stop the early release of criminals and to increase prison capacity “as necessary”. In office this pledge was forgotten, and they have been trying to reduce the prison population. As it happens, the high level of crime has defeated them and our prisons now have over 87,000 inmates. In the circumstances, cutting back the police does not seem wise, but still they persist.

Under Mrs Thatcher, the Tories had a reputation for economic competence. They lost it in the early 1990s and never got it back. Now they are in danger of irrevocably losing their reputation as reliable crime fighters.

David Green is Director of Civitas

Last edited by Bonehead; 18 March 2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 18 March 2012, 11:00 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

No objections to you having a pension............just why is it so much better than other public sector workers ?

Shaun
Old 20 March 2012, 12:57 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It all looks a bit short sighted to me, like the Forces!

Les