Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2012, 08:48 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Angry SURPRISE, SURPRISE...

Ian Tomlinson death: PC cleared

Now, why didn't that surprise me.

Be a copper (or a banker, politician) everyone - it seemingly grants you full immunity from the law.

Okay, I know he's had a 'fair' trial with a 12 person jury, etc... but christ!

Seriously?!
Old 19 July 2012, 08:50 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

And next month, the police will once again be whining that they have lost the public's support......
Old 19 July 2012, 08:50 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems a good copper though...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...n-Harwood.html

Steve
Old 19 July 2012, 08:59 PM
wheelwright
Scooby Regular

Looks an evil sadistic ****!
Old 19 July 2012, 09:12 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Did I hear right on the radio that his heavy handed tactical past was never mentioned in court...
Old 19 July 2012, 09:17 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
Did I hear right on the radio that his heavy handed tactical past was never mentioned in court...
Yes - it was considered that it would prejudice the jury...

Lol at the evil sadistic **** comment...... hahahahaha
Old 19 July 2012, 09:26 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dr Hu
Yes - it was considered that it would prejudice the jury...
Presumably then, the CPS do the same for any other defendants who have 'previous'.

...You know, just so as to keep it all fair for everybody.

This blatent bias towards the police seriously boils my ****! They're supposed to be civilians, subject to exactly the same due process as any other member of society.

Last edited by joz8968; 19 July 2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 19 July 2012, 09:36 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

he has been afforded the same rights as anyone else in his position should do

no more no less

that is as it should be tbh

he does look like a nasty piece of work though

but the arc of justice does not run true all the time – that’s life, in an imperfect world
Old 19 July 2012, 09:54 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

No surprise really.
Old 19 July 2012, 09:55 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Yeah I know. But this particular verdict, on the face of it at least, seems just plain wrong.

The original inquest said IT was "unlawfully killed". Even SH said had he realised at the time Mr Tomlinson was walking away from police lines, he "would not have gone near him". Ergo, an error of judgement which directly brought on IT's death. Where's the justice for the consequence of one's actions? It's not as if PW accidentally/'inadvertently' pushed him.

Surely, at the very least, manslaughter in anyone's book?!

Last edited by joz8968; 20 July 2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 19 July 2012, 11:32 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hodgy has it right in that for the vast majority of cases the past has no bearing on the present.....he could have been a mercenary / assassin for sale to the highest bidder and this would have been hidden from the Jury.

The Civil case will take the above into account, the fact he has previous and evaded justice by resigning......

The Law, as they say, is an ***

Shaun
Old 19 July 2012, 11:44 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

The real question, that will never get properly answered, is how an officer with a history like his was allowed to be on the front line in a likely riot situation.

No doubt that will never be mentioned or there will be an enquiry the conclusion to which will be 'lessons will be learned'.

What a wonderful country this is!
Old 19 July 2012, 11:48 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Originally Posted by Steve vRS
Seems a good copper though...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...n-Harwood.html

Steve
10 complaints against him in 12 years!!!!!
6 serious complaints from fellow officers.

That has got to be very unusual. Any police officers on here who can verify if this is unusual.

Makes you wonder/worry how many other 'mentals' are still in the police force.

Don't get me wrong.I am generaly 100% behind the police & wouldn't do their job in this day and age.
All the abuse & idiots getting away from court with very little justice.
But an officer with this record surely should have been kicked out.

Last edited by legb4rsk; 19 July 2012 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old 20 July 2012, 12:40 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

He'll get sorted.
Old 20 July 2012, 01:36 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
Presumably then, the CPS do the same for any other defendants who have 'previous'.

...You know, just so as to keep it all fair for everybody.

This blatent bias towards the police seriously boils my ****! They're supposed to be civilians, subject to exactly the same due process as any other member of society.
As an ex-cop, I am disgusted at this. I know that if I'd even looked at the victim in the wrong way, I'd have been disciplined. He seems to have got away with it due to others messing up. Data should have been shared, just as the inquiry after Huntley's actions recommended.

I must admit, in my experience, police officers normally get treated more harshly than regular civilians. In this case, obviously not.
Old 20 July 2012, 06:18 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=ScoobyWon't;10715259]As an ex-cop

You quit the force mate.
Old 20 July 2012, 10:20 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

That policeman is a proper **** if you look at his record so no surprise that he's happy to shove some old codger to the floor. Tbf though I doubt he intended to kill the guy so definitely an accident ... is that manslaughter? I genuinely don't know how it is defined.

TX.
Old 20 July 2012, 10:29 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

He got off because the pathologist did a rubbish job on the postmortem.
Old 20 July 2012, 10:58 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not defending the guy, but all he did was push Ian Tomlinson. And let's not forget how many threads there are about the police being too soft and not dealing harshly enough with genuine scumbags
Old 20 July 2012, 11:08 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
As an ex-cop, I am disgusted at this. I know that if I'd even looked at the victim in the wrong way, I'd have been disciplined. He seems to have got away with it due to others messing up. Data should have been shared, just as the inquiry after Huntley's actions recommended.

I must admit, in my experience, police officers normally get treated more harshly than regular civilians. In this case, obviously not.
We're not talking about petty crime here - it's the gravest of 'crimes'.

I can't susbstantiate the claims made by those protesters, but let's assume they're in the correct ballpark.

Not a pattern emerging?

Last edited by joz8968; 20 July 2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 20 July 2012, 11:11 AM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

Ian Thomlinson was walking away from the police with in hands in his pocket , He was no threat to anybody, I can honestly say I am so dissapointed that the thug in the police uniform got away with his actions, I have lost all respect for both the police and the legal system allowing this copper getting away with at least an assualt.
The police in future will have no moral support from me !!!
Old 20 July 2012, 11:12 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
I'm not defending the guy, but all he did was push Ian Tomlinson. And let's not forget how many threads there are about the police being too soft and not dealing harshly enough with genuine scumbags
No he struck him with his baton then pushed him over. In all likelihood the guy then died from internal bleeding as a result of the assault, the problem was the pathologist did a poor postmortem so the cause of death can be disputed.

If a member of the public hit someone in the street, pushed them over, then the person dies from a result of injuries sustained during that assault would it be manslaughter at least? Yes.

How you can defend Harwood I have no idea.
Old 20 July 2012, 11:21 AM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

He's certainly not the sort of person I work with

So far as Simon Harwood is concerned, his troubles are only just beginning. He will, undoubtedly, be sacked in September and the Mayor’s Office will almost certainly go for seizure of part of his pension. The Tomlinson family will pursue him to the grave. They have already said that they will sue him in the civil courts, which means a retrial but under a level of proof that only requires proving on ‘the balance of probabilities’. Neither the Met nor the Federation will cover his legal expenses because by that time he will be a dismissed ex-police officer.
The Tomlinsons will ask for (and no doubt get) punitive damages against him, which will mean his house and all his assets, which will bankrupt him. His future from here on in will be a nightmare.

Considering how rabidly proffesional standards in my farce go after the slightest hint of something it does show the Met in a bad light - but then again the Met doesnt have the greatest reputation.
Lots of folks i know that couldn't get into their local force applied and got into the Met, but to be fair to them they are the biggest force in the country
Old 20 July 2012, 11:43 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
...If a member of the public hit someone in the street, pushed them over, then the person dies from a result of injuries sustained during that assault would it be manslaughter at least? Yes....
This is my point precisely.

It seems so black and white to me.
Old 20 July 2012, 11:53 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

No he struck him with his baton then pushed him over. In all likelihood the guy then died from internal bleeding as a result of the assault, the problem was the pathologist did a poor postmortem so the cause of death can be disputed.

If a member of the public hit someone in the street, pushed them over, then the person dies from a result of injuries sustained during that assault would it be manslaughter at least? Yes.

How you can defend Harwood I have no idea.
I'm not defending him at all.

I have, however, always questioned just what Tomlinson was thinking to put himself in that position though. If I saw a line of riot police on active duty I'd have the common sense NOT to get myself into such close proximity. There's surely an element of sheer stupidity in what Tomlinson did.
Old 20 July 2012, 11:59 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

As previously stated, i don't understand how such a volatile individual could be put on the front line to control a riot. I bet he was gagging for a bit of action, and this is the closest he could get to it. Adrenaline + tense atmosphere = unfortunate death.

I would like to think the Met will review this carefully, surely they must be highly embarrassed now that his aggressive history is out in the open. If they deployed him specifically because he would get the better of any protester, then shame on them. They have enough powers without relying on officers taking the law into their own hands, in my opinion.
Old 20 July 2012, 12:04 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
This is my point precisely.

It seems so black and white to me.

Its not though. Far from it, and for good reason.

The law did not consider what the PC did to be unlawful or negligent and therefore the resultant death was not technically manslaughter.

Hence he was cleared. Had he been charged with something else he may not have got off.

But as TB has posted above, the Met have questions to answer - there's clearly negligence on their part here.

TDW - Its not just down to the autopsy. Three forensic pathologists testified that he most probably did of internal bleeding caused by injury sustained in he fall.

Last edited by Devildog; 20 July 2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 20 July 2012, 12:10 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

I'm not defending him at all.

I have, however, always questioned just what Tomlinson was thinking to put himself in that position though. If I saw a line of riot police on active duty I'd have the common sense NOT to get myself into such close proximity. There's surely an element of sheer stupidity in what Tomlinson did.
AIUI IT had been drinking and was wandering home. He was prevented from doing that by the police on several occasions who were trying to keep general public away from the protesters.

Having seen the initial video it's clear to me that IT was kind-of taking the **** the way he was retreating from the coppers. However, he was retreating, however slowly, even if it was with a slouchy "Wimpey walk".

J.
Old 20 July 2012, 12:15 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

TDW - Its not just down to the autopsy. Three forensic pathologists testified that he most probably did of internal bleeding caused by injury sustained in he fall.
'Most probably\' leaves reasonable doubt. If the postmortem had been done properly that would not have been the case.
Old 20 July 2012, 12:19 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

'Most probably\' leaves reasonable doubt. If the postmortem had been done properly that would not have been the case.
Agreed, however the inquest concluded that he died of injuries sutained in the fall if I understand it correctly.

So that part was already beyond doubt as far as the manslaughter trial was concerned.

He didn't get off because of the cause of death. He got off because in the eyes of the law his actions prior to the fall were not deemed to be unlawful or negligent in the circumstances.

Quick Reply: SURPRISE, SURPRISE...