Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

scheme will pay firm to wake jobless teens - you could not make it up!

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2012, 12:21 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scheme will pay firm to wake jobless teens - you could not make it up!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-18916683

Poor little souls The government is paying a company to wake teenagers up in an effort to get them back to work, under a new scheme.

The firm, in the north-east of England, said it was "just one small part of the mentoring approach we have got".

And young people were also driven to interviews and helped to get into the habit of "turning up on time" to jobs.
Old 20 July 2012, 12:35 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

As amusing as the story sounds at least its something to get kids into work.

I find it more amusing that anything that sound remotely stupid or a day of "bad news" and Clegg is put in the frame. He's like the scapegoat for just about everything the coalition get wrong. Poor bugger.
Old 20 July 2012, 12:49 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about waking themselves up,

Works like this,

Sit at home on ****/in bed and run out of money very quickly, deprivation and starvation follows, or alternatively turn up at a place of work, make an effort and get paid ?

I know it is tough but there is a lazy generation that seem to expect to be provided for without having to make an effort, they kind of just assume its all a bit tricky and distasteful and just avoid it altogether, if they don't get what they want they go and just take it as we saw last year, when I was 18 and I didn't have a job I went out every day until I got one, Data Entry for three quid an hour, I turned up every day even though it was **** and eventually better things came from it, if you dont do anything you dont get to see the opportunities and nobody can recognise your potential.

No benefits or anything if they don't do a bit, there shouldn't be litter, graffiti and dog **** around the place when people are sat at home during the day.

Wake yourself up, a clock radio is £10 from tesco !
Old 20 July 2012, 12:51 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by J4CKO

Works like this,

Sit at home on ****/in bed and run out of money very quickly, deprivation and starvation follows, or alternatively turn up at a place of work, make an effort and get paid ?

I know it is tough but there is a lazy generation that seem to expect to be provided for without having to make an effort, they kind of just assume its all a bit tricky and distasteful and just avoid it altogether, if they don't get what they want they go and just take it as we saw last year, when I was 18 and I didn't have a job I went out every day until I got one, Data Entry for three quid an hour, I turned up every day even though it was **** and eventually better things came from it, if you dont do anything you dont get to see the opportunities and nobody can recognise your potential.

No benefits or anything if they don't do a bit, there shouldn't be litter, graffiti and dog **** around the place when people are sat at home during the day.

YUP!

If these kids with a 'poor education' had made more of an effort in the first place but then again they know that after school there is free accommodation provided, benefits provided so for some there seems little incentive for some maybe?

Last edited by The Zohan; 20 July 2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 20 July 2012, 01:33 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO

Works like this,

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...LOCK+RADIO.htm

Unfortunately my little brother is turning into the above. When he has been employed he's a bloody good worker - mainly labouring work with some H&S responsibilities. But when he's unemployed he's a different person - up all hours sitting on his PS3, very seldom applies for anything that takes much effort. I made it easy for him by making his CV the best I could (as he is dyslexic so writing is tough admittedly), and even finding out about a couple labouring jobs my Mrs knows of through a mate. Has he called the chap yet to simply investigate...

Some people are getting too much help which I think is a double negative. When unemployed I got **** all help and in a twisted way may have helped me in the long run than say creaming a couple hundred quid a week off the state.
Old 20 July 2012, 01:43 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Most teens need a smoke alarm in conjunction with a water cannon to wake them, let alone a nice little ring on the telephone.
Old 20 July 2012, 01:48 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I suppose it could work. You ring them up and to tell them to wake up. Then you give them 15 minutes before you go in and jab the lazy barstewerds with a cattle prod, leaving them in bed convulsing in a puddle of their own urine and fecal matter.

Trending Topics

Old 20 July 2012, 01:51 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Nice. Not. Your kids still not embarrassed about your user name on here, KOT? Or do you share thoughts like the above with them to de-sensitize them?
Old 20 July 2012, 02:00 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Nice. Not. Your kids still not embarrassed about your user name on here, KOT? Or do you share thoughts like the above with them to de-sensitize them?

Seriously, with all the crap you have posted on here over the years I don't think you are in a position to take the moral high ground on internet personas.
Old 20 July 2012, 02:13 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Posting nonsense banter is one thing, posting about waking up in a puddle of urine and fecal matter is another. I'm just staggered you can't see the difference. I'd be utterly humiliated if i knew my father posted anywhere under the name "king of turds". Humiliated.
Old 20 July 2012, 02:30 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Frankly I'd be more concerned if I had nothing better to do than spend all day on the internet belittling people and throwing a hissy fit every time someone makes a trivial spelling mistake.

Enjoy your weekend Tel.
Old 20 July 2012, 02:34 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

And therein lies the difference. You'd care less if your father called himself King of turds online. Staggering. And in light of post #7 i think you have issues deeper than you realise.

I won't return the compliment if it's all the same to you.
Old 20 July 2012, 02:49 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I think any username with "turd" in it is most unpleasant.

dl
Old 20 July 2012, 02:50 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't know if any of you watched the programme The Town That Never Retired aired a week or so ago, but the programme showed that NEETs have little or no desire to work and are completely out of touch to the reality of working for a living when compared to those that came out of retirement for work.
Old 20 July 2012, 06:38 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by jonc
I don't know if any of you watched the programme The Town That Never Retired aired a week or so ago, but the programme showed that NEETs have little or no desire to work and are completely out of touch to the reality of working for a living when compared to those that came out of retirement for work.

Most of them had shocking attitude especially seeing as they were on television you'd have thought they would have made more of an effort.
Old 20 July 2012, 08:49 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

21st century YTS scheme.
Old 20 July 2012, 10:19 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

I run my own business & have employed apprentices in the past, & I have to say that with the odd exception most are a total waste of space. Laziness, lateness absenteeism & a bad attitude are all too common. Most are unemployable, there are jobs out there but they don't really want them, & employers are now very wary of employing youngsters due to the associated problems.
Old 20 July 2012, 10:41 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

The thing I don't get is this - if idiot PPI-claim sollicitors firms, insurance companies, double-glazing salesmen, etc, etc, can rig up machines to automatically dial MY number (which of course they're not supposed to do, but that isn't the point), on the off-chance I might be in and actually pick up, why can't those same machines be setup to call idle feckless teenagers and get them out of bed??