Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tour De France - What a load of B******s

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2012, 09:55 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tour De France - What a load of B******s

I've been following this quite closely this year after about 20 years of not watching it.

It's really put me off watching again, just like the Eurovision song contest on bikes with all the politics .

For the past week I'd wondered why no one was getting close to Wiggins and how the gap had remained at 2 minutes and 5 seconds for so many days.

I feel for Chris Froome, we'll never know if he could have beaten Wiggins because of team orders, what a joke. It should be about about man and machine and not team and slowing because your captain doesn't want to make a race of it, I guess the clue is in the title, it's been a tour not a race.

Media relations also handled very poorly by Sky, considering the size of that media organisation they've made a pigs ear of this.

Good luck to Wiggins and great to see a Brit win it, but I cant be bothered with the last 2 days.

Pulls on flame proofed lycra cycling shorts and awaits the SN peloton
Old 20 July 2012, 10:10 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
I've been following this quite closely this year after about 20 years of not watching it.
That much is abundantly clear, from the rest of your post.
Old 20 July 2012, 10:14 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Originally Posted by markjmd
That much is abundantly clear, from the rest of your post.
So no longer a race then ?

I understand that team orders exist but just like F1, it's not in the spirit of the sport imo, Froome has clearly been eager to break away but he's not allowed to, tainted yellow jersey imo.
Old 20 July 2012, 10:25 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18899902

Good read here, even L'equipe have endorsed Wiggo rather than the subtle suggestions of wrongdoing they normally make. Agreed it's been pretty boring this year, we've seen a masterclass by Sky of how to establish a lead and then kill the race.

IMHO Froome had the legs to takeon Wiggo on the hills but in the time trials, who knows?
Old 20 July 2012, 10:28 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

So no longer a race then ?

I understand that team orders exist but just like F1, it's not in the spirit of the sport imo, Froome has clearly been eager to break away but he's not allowed to, tainted yellow jersey imo.
Not the point I was making at all. The simple truth is that these days it's not a contest anyone can win without the support of a well-organized team, so Wiggins is absolutely no different in that respect than any other strong contender. So far as Froome's chances are concerned, you also have to remember that if the team wasn't riding as it has been for the purposes of maximizing Wiggins's chances, Froome would be nowhere near the front in overall standings either.
Old 20 July 2012, 10:30 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

OP aside - Cav's win today was spectacular, the overhead shot as he passed the leaders showed them as almost stationary!
Old 20 July 2012, 10:33 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It's always been bit like this though

Maybe he'll have to jump ship to a different outfit next year
Old 20 July 2012, 10:33 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
OP aside - Cav's win today was spectacular, the overhead shot as he passed the leaders showed them as almost stationary!
+1
Old 20 July 2012, 10:52 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cav overtaking those 2 wasn't that spectacular, but what was spectacular was the fact that the other sprinters in the peleton were blasted away. So much for saving himself for the Olympics, oh and wiggins is well deserved. Froome may have wanted to pull away in the odd climb but Bradley basically told him to wind his neck in, they didn't need to turn on the taps given the other rivals positions at those times.
Old 20 July 2012, 11:08 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

OP missing the point; road racing is about team tactics and the basic premise that a large group of riders can move faster than a smaller number.
Man vs man with equal machinery is time trials and pursuit.
Old 20 July 2012, 11:12 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Fair do's I stand corrected then, I clearly dont understand the Tour well enough.

What chance Froome's missus jumping out of the crowd and pushing wiggins off his bike LOL her "banter" with Mrs Wiggins has been interesting to say the least.
Old 20 July 2012, 11:18 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I don't follow it anymore. The doping culture killed my love.
Old 20 July 2012, 11:36 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

You last tuned in in 1967 then.
Old 21 July 2012, 12:19 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Sky's dominance is clear to see, and, they went there with the GC in mind and chose who they thought to be the most likely winner given the route this year. The other teams and team leaders were not as well prepared as Sky/Wiggo/Froome/Cav. Oh and doping has been and still is rife in the sport - just look at Armstrong, great as he is, he too is highly likely a doper sadly. Then we have Frank Schleck..........
Still a great event - largest annual spectator sporting event in the world and great to see live, especially in the Alps or Pyrenees.
Old 21 July 2012, 12:56 PM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

Don't feel sorry for Froome at all. He signed a more lucrative contract (3yrs) to ride for Sky, knowing that his role this year would be to guide Wiggins to the yellow jersey. He knew what was expected of him when he signed the contract.

Think that Sky's race tactics have been genius and I have really enjoyed the race. Wiggins showed class when he held the peleton back when he found out that Cadel had been a victim of "tackgate".

It has been a sad episode all the tweeting row between the WAGS-not needed to be played out in public IMHO.
Old 22 July 2012, 04:41 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It's really put me off watching again, just like the Eurovision song contest on bikes with all the politics .

For the past week I'd wondered why no one was getting close to Wiggins and how the gap had remained at 2 minutes and 5 seconds for so many days.

I feel for Chris Froome, we'll never know if he could have beaten Wiggins because of team orders, what a joke. It should be about about man and machine and not team and slowing because your captain doesn't want to make a race of it, I guess the clue is in the title, it's been a tour not a race.

Media relations also handled very poorly by Sky, considering the size of that media organisation they've made a pigs ear of this.

Good luck to Wiggins and great to see a Brit win it, but I cant be bothered with the last 2 days.

You are almost certainly better off to ignore it completely then!

Les
Old 22 July 2012, 06:45 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4
Oh and doping has been and still is rife in the sport - just look at Armstrong, great as he is, he too is highly likely a doper sadly.
Where`s your proof? Even the Frogs can`t prove it. He was one of the most tested athletes on the planet. They used to go to his home at any time of the day and perform random drug tests.....he passed every time. Even now, the b@stards are testing samples they still have from the eighties using technology which wasn`t available back then, determined to besmirch his good name. What have they come up with?

He joked once that he`d had an extra lung put in during his cancer treatment....the thick French tw@ts actually believed him! **** the French and their witch hunt.
Old 22 July 2012, 07:16 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69
Where`s your proof? Even the Frogs can`t prove it. He was one of the most tested athletes on the planet. They used to go to his home at any time of the day and perform random drug tests.....he passed every time. Even now, the b@stards are testing samples they still have from the eighties using technology which wasn`t available back then, determined to besmirch his good name. What have they come up with?

He joked once that he`d had an extra lung put in during his cancer treatment....the thick French tw@ts actually believed him! **** the French and their witch hunt.
He was involved with some dodgy Doctors and rode in maybe the most doped up Peleton in history. He wasn't beating all the blood and EPO dopers with just orange juice, and not just beating but destroying at times. Lance was probably a super-responder to EPO is my guess. Drug testing is way behind the curve, always has been.
Old 22 July 2012, 09:36 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

lol @ conspiracy theorists.
Old 23 July 2012, 11:16 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

I have no proof and am a big fan of the guy and hope he's innocent. However, he has always been under suspicion and with several ex team members stating that he was using performance enhancing drugs (EPO?) it seems likely he was - but as I said I hope it's not true. I followed him during his last victory in the Tour, I don't mean as a stalker , just travelled around France in a car camping for two weeks. I saw him several times at the team bus and almost managed to get his autograph, like I said I'm a huge fan.
Old 23 July 2012, 11:39 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Isn't it the USDA who've been pushing recent investigations and who actually just charged him?
Old 24 July 2012, 03:54 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...199762652.html
Old 24 July 2012, 01:35 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

As above, its a team event, always has been. Just because Sky pro cycling supported Bradley Wiggins to the overall win, didn't stop a couple of hundered other guys pushing for the win.

As for Lance Armstrong, I hope he's innocent too, but sadly it looks like that may not be the case. And yes, its the American's who are after him, not the French - much to do with his being part of the US Postal Service team (and hence US tax dollars funded) as anything I suspect. There's no doubt that many in the team at that time were doping in a highly structured and organised manner. Ok, that doesn't prove Lance was, but its a difficult one to accept.

Oh, and wasn't it testicular cancer that he had (albeit later in his lungs and brain). That's a known side effect of testosterone doping
Old 24 July 2012, 11:14 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

imo and its just that ped's are used widley at top level sport, cycling has been particulalry heavily involved.
but many sports are affected, what happened to the ped use scandal in golf where one voice nearly confessed all, then suddenly never mentioned again?
Old 24 July 2012, 11:36 PM
bigfootjim76
Scooby Regular

fella its a TEAM sport always has been, wiggins winnings and cav's stage winnings etc etc go into one pot then are shared out to the whole team, wheel tec's ,chefs and drivers etc etc

froome is still very young by tour standards and will get his go at the gc in good time, and had he taken the first time trials and gone into yellow before wiggins the team would of rode for him im sure.

chris broadman said 2 years ago he wouldnt see an brit win the tour in his life time, well team sky have produced a 1 2 for the brits and cav will win back the green jersery next year im sure,

this is a fantastic good news story, bringing back clean winning for all to enjoy

nobody would batter an eye if chris atkinson pulled over for petter to win an championship, its just the same in pro cycling bud.
Old 25 July 2012, 06:10 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

i thought it was an awesome showing by all of the sky team, some of those guys did an awful lot of work to keep wiggo in the right positions. i dont think froome would have won it tbh even if he was allowed, i have a feeling wiggo wasnt going all out some of the time and was thinking of the long game as in reserving energy.

froome is defo one to watch though in the future, it`ll be interesting to see if someone buys him out of his contract for next year though
Old 25 July 2012, 07:26 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Originally Posted by bigfootjim76
fella its a TEAM sport always has been, wiggins winnings and cav's stage winnings etc etc go into one pot then are shared out to the whole team, wheel tec's ,chefs and drivers etc etc

froome is still very young by tour standards and will get his go at the gc in good time, and had he taken the first time trials and gone into yellow before wiggins the team would of rode for him im sure.

chris broadman said 2 years ago he wouldnt see an brit win the tour in his life time, well team sky have produced a 1 2 for the brits and cav will win back the green jersery next year im sure,

this is a fantastic good news story, bringing back clean winning for all to enjoy

nobody would batter an eye if chris atkinson pulled over for petter to win an championship, its just the same in pro cycling bud.
Fella, check out post #11

I stood corrected a looooong time ago
Old 25 July 2012, 10:53 PM
bigfootjim76
Scooby Regular

Fella, check out post #11

I stood corrected a looooong time ago
post #11

is that twitter then?

the press have always had a uneven view of wiggins imho as he's not the little lap dog they want him to be.
Old 26 July 2012, 02:49 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Originally Posted by bigfootjim76
post #11

is that twitter then?

For real ??

Have a look at the top right of each post, you'll see it come's with a number
Old 26 July 2012, 03:30 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

We'll find out at the Olympics how good Wiggins is as an individual.
Can't see why he's being singled out for a knighthood if it was down to team management for him winning the Tour.
Looks great in the news though, prior to the farce that'll be the 2012 Olympics white elephant, a British rider winning the TdF etc.

Quick Reply: Tour De France - What a load of B******s