The Euro according to Blackadder.

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2012, 05:29 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile The Euro according to Blackadder.

Oh, such clarity of truth!!!

Baldrick: "What I want to know, Sir is, before there was a Euro there were lots of different types of money that different people used. And now there's only one type of money that the foreign people use. And what I want to know is, how did we get from one state of affairs to the other state of affairs"

Blackadder: "Baldrick. Do you mean, how did the Euro start?"

Baldrick: "Yes Sir"

Blackadder: "Well, you see Baldrick, back in the 1980s there were many different countries all running their own finances and using different types of money. On one side you had the major economies of France , Belgium , Holland and Germany , and on the other, the weaker nations of Spain , Greece , Ireland , Italy and Portugal . They got together and decided that it would be much easier for everyone if they could all use the same money, have one Central Bank, and belong to one large club where everyone would be happy. This meant that there could never be a situation whereby financial meltdown would lead to social unrest, wars and crises".

Baldrick: "But this is sort of a crisis, isn't it Sir?".

Blackadder: "That's right Baldrick. You see, there was only one slight flaw with the plan".

Baldrick: "What was that then, Sir?"

Blackadder: "It was bollocks".
Old 23 July 2012, 06:07 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Yep markets in sharp falls again and Spain looks to be in real trouble now. Italy and Greece back under the spotlight too.
Old 23 July 2012, 06:16 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

They won't give up because they desperately want federation.

Les
Old 23 July 2012, 06:49 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

They wont have any other choice soon, we've been witnessing it's slow death for a couple of years, sooner or later someone will turn off the life support.
Old 23 July 2012, 07:25 PM
bigredrob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
They wont have any other choice soon, we've been witnessing it's slow death for a couple of years, sooner or later someone will turn off the life support.
Old 24 July 2012, 09:02 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

It just seems to me that the stronger economies need to ditch their poor 'waster' mates.
They are dragging everyone else down with them.
The euro has failed. Nothing will save it, so lets start looking out for the economies that actually have a chance of recovery.

Germany is acting like an egotistical Dad who is on the verge of bankruptcy, being in denial and telling his family that everything will be ok.
All the while still having Sky tv, lease cars on the drive, expensive food and fancy holidays.
I know that is a slightly odd analagy in the eyes of some, but to me, this entire situation of the eurozone is so simple.
It is just that none of them will admit it. Yes, the countries that exit the Euro will face very tough times, as will the countries that will lose €billions in defaulted loans. But, surely it is better to admit to these problems now and deal with them, rather than walking down the same old path heading towards the same inevitable conclusion?

What do we know eh?

Last edited by Gear Head; 24 July 2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 24 July 2012, 02:40 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The Euro does not suit a gaggle of countries with their own seperate economies since they cannot act in the way that their own economies require. The only way for it to possibly work is by federation of all those countries into one.

They cannot achieve federation either without a single currency for all the federated countries. Federation of course is the Commissioners' great ambition.

I can only hope that the two faced politicians don't achieve their ambition of federation anyway.

Time we were out of the Eu I say!

Les