Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Discount for cash morally wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2012, 08:43 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discount for cash morally wrong?

Paying tradesmen cash in hand morally wrong - minister

In my opinion it is wrong, but I can understand why it is more likely to happen now given the austerity measures, higher levels of taxation and the fact people just don't have as much money available.

I think also most people feel that their taxes are not being spent wisely and that the austerity measures are having little effect something the public borrowing and growth figures would seem to support and something even the IMF are urging the UK government have a rethink over.

I guess all these things make people feel like getting what they can for themselves to compensate for what is being taken from them for what they see as no good reason.

Discuss.
Old 24 July 2012, 08:46 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a non-story. Hasn't this been going on since forever, austerity or not?
Old 24 July 2012, 08:52 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

No surprises there really, does anybody seriously think it's not morally wrong? Discount for cash transactions are as old as the hills, but that doesn't make them right.
How many people would honestly turn down a sizeable discount in return for the option of cash payment?
Just an example for the sake of discussion, ignore the issue of warranty.
4 tyres fitted and balanced for £500 including vat.
Or £400 cash?
Old 24 July 2012, 08:57 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

So if you had more money available (disposable income) and loved what the government were spending your tax on you'd want to pay VAT with a local builder/tradesman?

Get real
Old 24 July 2012, 09:00 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

I own / run a removal company - upper end removals (houses over £500,000) and so deal with typically people with a bit of money and for every 10 removals I probably get asked 3-4 times about doing cash deals.
When you consider a move costing around £2,000 plus vat - that's £ 400 in vat.....a lot of money to anyone. Right or wrong, I can understand why people ask.
Old 24 July 2012, 09:02 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Customers always ask "how much for cash" like we're a one man band company , the joe public love to think they're getting money off.
Old 24 July 2012, 09:03 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

didnt they say theres 2trillion in tax havens and there going after a couple of bill cash in hand, just shows there true colours hit the poeople who struggle to afford things and let the rich run riot.

Trending Topics

Old 24 July 2012, 09:06 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Yes it's been going on since forever, but it's on the rise which is why the minister has mentioned it and the reasosn it's on the rise are in the OP.

My accountant has had two fairly large limited companies more or less tell him they are doing cash deals and hiding them as the taxation level has got so high for them they will barely be able to survive if they don't as they are being sqeezed on price so much right now too.
Old 24 July 2012, 09:09 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
So if you had more money available (disposable income) and loved what the government were spending your tax on you'd want to pay VAT with a local builder/tradesman?
Well no one wants to pay tax, but you'd be more likely to yes, what is hard about that concept for you?

I mean how many times do you read just on here people questioning what the governemnt spends the taxes on?
Old 24 July 2012, 09:09 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

slightly off the main heading but wouldnt they be better chasing the companies trying to get out of paying Millions upon millions in tax then the working class who are trying to save a little.
Old 24 July 2012, 09:29 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Well no one wants to pay tax, but you'd be more likely to yes, what is hard about that concept for you?

I mean how many times do you read just on here people questioning what the governemnt spends the taxes on?
Do you really believe that if people thought that tax money was going towards "good things" they'd pay more?

Simple answer (so you can grasp it) "no".... they would just grumble lets about their income tax - which for most is deducted at source.

Your stupidity knows no bounds
Old 24 July 2012, 09:34 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Do you really believe that if people thought that tax money was going towards "good things" they'd pay more?

Simple answer (so you can grasp it) "no".... they would just grumble lets about their income tax - which for most is deducted at source.

Your stupidity knows no bounds
As well as missing the point as usual I think yiou are judging others by your own gutter level standards.

And if we talking about stupidity I think you should keep quiet there too, I've shat out mnore intelligent life forms than you!

Now why not run along and get back to your immigrant threads you love so much?
Old 24 July 2012, 09:35 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
slightly off the main heading but wouldnt they be better chasing the companies trying to get out of paying Millions upon millions in tax then the working class who are trying to save a little.
Totally agree, this is an opportunist move by HMG to see if they can make a few extra pound by making tax avoidance morally wrong - the Jimmy Carr scenario - in the hope that all of a sudden 50 million people will start insisting they pay VAT on window cleaning and garden patios.
Old 24 July 2012, 09:36 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Politicians lecturing us on morality, oh do me a ******* favour!
Old 24 July 2012, 09:38 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Well that's this thread ruined already
Old 24 July 2012, 09:39 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

As well as missing the point as usual I think yiou are judging others by your own gutter level standards.

And if we talking about stupidity I think you should keep quiet there too, I've shat out mnore intelligent life forms than you!

Now why not run along and get back to your immigrant threads you love so much?
So everyone that doesn't pay tax has gutter level standards, nice. I can see that you're exactly the type of weak willed person this whole issue has been aimed at.

Enjoy paying that bit extra
Old 24 July 2012, 09:41 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue by You
No surprises there really, does anybody seriously think it's not morally wrong? Discount for cash transactions are as old as the hills, but that doesn't make them right.
How many people would honestly turn down a sizeable discount in return for the option of cash payment?
Just an example for the sake of discussion, ignore the issue of warranty.
4 tyres fitted and balanced for £500 including vat.
Or £400 cash?
Personally I don't have a problem with cash for discount.
Perhaps the government should concentrate efforts elsewhere
Old 24 July 2012, 10:09 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Quick question then: Say you pay a builder/roofer to do a job and you pay in cash money knowing said builder/roofer probably won't do the VAT thing. Do or would you still get the same level of "cover" if the work turned out to be of a poor standard and need fixing?

I ask as I was in a situation with this not so long back and paid cash as the guys came to my house. We're talking under £100 here, not £1,000's
Old 24 July 2012, 10:11 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig

Yes but the 'cash in hand' economy is not a few quid. It probably runs into billions every year.
Old 24 July 2012, 10:21 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I will ask my window cleaner if I can pay by BACS this friday then... £1.80....
Old 24 July 2012, 10:33 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Yes but the 'cash in hand' economy is not a few quid. It probably runs into billions every year.
£2bn if you read the government claims.

Technically, they are right but in reality it is something that is essentially unpoliceable. I'd like to make sure I get a proper guarantee though and the work is traceable if there are any faults later on. Few sole traders wander about with a card machine so that's either cash or cheque. The only 'discount for cash' I can see in the future is knocking off the scamming PayPal fees if mobile payments catch on.

Total non-story.

5t.
Old 24 July 2012, 10:45 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Agree. I don't think HMG has a clue about what really goes on. It's almost a barter economy. You are unlikely to get a discount on things like tyres, mentioned above, as supplier has to account for his own supplies through the books but builders and any labour intensive work is wide open for cash options off the books.

What I object to is those on benefits who also run a cash business and I have known a few - windows cleaners with "bad backs", jobbing gardeners and car wash people as an example. Why should I pay for their effing benefits as well!!

dl
Old 24 July 2012, 11:02 AM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Cash is the king
According to my books I'm skint ........poor but happy
Old 24 July 2012, 11:07 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

This is the dilemma as I can see it is probably costing the economy a bundle in taxes, but

a) they seem to waste a lot of our taxes anyway
b) big business seems to be allowed to get away with manioulating taxation to an extent

As an example Rangers went into administration allegedly owing HMRC 75 million.... how can that be, I get penalised if I pay my VAT bill one day late????
Old 24 July 2012, 11:10 AM
craigo
Scooby Regular

This is the dilemma as I can see it is probably costing the economy a bundle in taxes, but

a) they seem to waste a lot of our taxes anyway
b) big business seems to be allowed to get away with manioulating taxation to an extent

As an example Rangers went into administration allegedly owing HMRC 75 million.... how can that be, I get penalised if I pay my VAT bill one day late????
Leave Rangers out of it. There are different rules in place for cheese grinders like yourself !
Old 24 July 2012, 11:28 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

This goes some way to explaining why Greece are in the situation they are in now, but on a much larger scale. But I find it deeply ironic that it is the Government has no issues with morality when they're claiming expenses for rent on their "second" homes, duck houses, adult movies, capital gains tax avoidance etc etc.
Old 24 July 2012, 11:37 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

The UK is morally bankrupt from the top downwards. And it will never get any better

I was listening to a talk about Sweden and over there not paying taxes is a big no, no. It's frowned upon like blowing smoke into babies' prams or drink driving is over here. They pay high taxes but see real benefits in their lives.

dl
Old 24 July 2012, 11:52 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
The UK is morally bankrupt from the top downwards. And it will never get any better l
This
Old 24 July 2012, 11:59 AM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

I am a tradesman and i always get the question upon pricing a job "how much for cash" to which my answer is "it will be the same price" just because i get paid in cash does not affect how much tax i pay or my expenses for the job, infact i have recently started refusing checks due to a few bouncing, why should i take a cheque when 99% of other companies will not accept them ?
Old 24 July 2012, 12:02 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by addi monster
I am a tradesman and i always get the question upon pricing a job "how much for cash" to which my answer is "it will be the same price" just because i get paid in cash does not affect how much tax i pay or my expenses for the job
Fair play to you. Do you feel you have ever lost work because of this?

Quick Reply: Discount for cash morally wrong?