Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

I don't get the happiness in coming second...

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2012, 10:05 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I don't get the happiness in coming second...

Having just being forced to watch Tom going nuts and diving in the pool in excitement at winning a bronze medal it occurred to me that he's technically the second loser. Why celebrate coming third?. Why not have Brass, Copper, Steel, Plastic, Wood and Rubber medals then everyone can celebrate not winning.

Discuss.....
Old 11 August 2012, 10:06 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A gentleman always **** second.
Old 11 August 2012, 10:09 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Because he has won a medal by coming 3rd. If only first was to be celebrated then there wouldn't be a silver or bronze medal. It shows accomplishment for the years of hardwork and dedication and the top 3 places are rewarded.
Old 11 August 2012, 10:10 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

you have to remember if anyone gets a bronze its 3rd place out of THE WHOLE WORLD. Think of it as winning the Lotto , just not the jackpot. Youd be happy wouldnt you ?
Old 11 August 2012, 10:12 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Precisely - why not just have the gold????
I don't dispute the years of hard work and dedication but a win is a win - second is first loser. There's only one FA cup - the losing team don't get a bronze one
Old 11 August 2012, 10:17 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Still very marketable and still young enough for Rio

Maybe this was the celebration?
Old 11 August 2012, 10:20 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

18 and he's put his quite ripped body on show for all the young ladies of the world to ogle over. He will now have his pick of 1000's of girls to go conkers deep in - maybe that's the celebration?
Old 11 August 2012, 10:27 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
18 and he's put his quite ripped body on show for all the young ladies of the world to ogle over. He will now have his pick of 1000's of girls to go conkers deep in - maybe that's the celebration?
If he likes women I'm a Dutchman.
Old 11 August 2012, 10:34 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

It contributes to the overall tally of the national team - why not celebrate that?

The Chinaman who finished on silver wasn't celebrating much.

Last edited by tarmac terror; 11 August 2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11 August 2012, 10:38 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

It contributes to the tally of second losers but not winners!
Old 11 August 2012, 10:38 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I guess it takes one to know one
Old 11 August 2012, 10:44 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

LMFAO - Do you know someone who has won a bronze (sorry - lost a gold) ??? Why the personal attack???
Old 11 August 2012, 10:46 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
If he likes women I'm a Dutchman.
he does indeed, bat left handed
Old 11 August 2012, 11:58 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Is jumping into a pool a profession?
Old 12 August 2012, 12:02 AM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

It is if you get paid for it
Old 12 August 2012, 12:03 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
The lad lost his dad recently to a cancer and through all that is on for 4 A's in his A-Levels. He is a credit to his parents and his country and his performance tonight was superb. The lad is not even 20 and yet he's one of the best in the world in his chosen profession..... I'd say he's done Ok
+1.

For an 18 yr. old kid, and with all what he has been through, he has done very well in his studies as well as in sports. He has a potential to get gold in next Olympic.
Old 12 August 2012, 12:05 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wayne9t9
It is if you get paid for it
So is being on the dole and watching tv all day a profession?
Old 12 August 2012, 12:07 AM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

Old 12 August 2012, 12:47 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lad lost his dad recently to a cancer and through all that is on for 4 A's in his A-Levels. He is a credit to his parents and his country and his performance tonight was superb. The lad is not even 20 and yet he's one of the best in the world in his chosen profession..... I'd say he's done Ok

Is jumping into a pool a profession?
Why not? Just because you don't place any value on what he does, or other sportsmen/women, doesn't mean it isn't a profession.
Old 12 August 2012, 12:57 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
Why not? Just because you don't place any value on what he does, or other sportsmen/women, doesn't mean it isn't a profession.
Where did I say I didn't value it?

I asked why it was a profession.
Old 12 August 2012, 01:05 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

OK, we get it, you think using lottery funding to help athletes train for the Olympics is a shocking waste (of something which was never actually yours to complain about in the first place). Here's an idea though - how about you start your own thread on what would be valid uses for that money, instead of all the prissy comments in every Olympics thread?
Old 12 August 2012, 01:09 AM
Lisawrx

Precisely - why not just have the gold????
I don't dispute the years of hard work and dedication but a win is a win - second is first loser. There's only one FA cup - the losing team don't get a bronze one
No, but I thought they got a runners up medal as per other competitions??? Despite defeat, they still have a 'prize' so to speak even if it isn't a bronze trophy, and are still referred to as runners up as opposed to losers.

I think the point is to acknowledge those right at the top of their game. Maybe it should just be gold, then it should also just be winners in football (no loser medals), the podium in F1 should only be the winner, no prizes of any kind to any runners up in any sport????

To some extent, I agree with where you come from, but then, I can be a right grumpy *******. Is it really so bad to celebrate coming close and being amongst the best rather than looking at it as a failure because it wasn't first place?
Old 12 August 2012, 01:14 AM
Lisawrx

Why is it not?

A definition of profession:

any vocation or business.

A definition of vocation:

a strong impulse or inclination to follow a particular activity or career.

So by definition, it can be classed as a profession.
Old 12 August 2012, 07:56 AM
marcevs72
Scooby Regular

I know tom through my son as they have been friends for a few Years as my son was due to compete in.the hockey and he deserves his medal after the amount he has accomplished.its all about maximum effort not just coming first.and yes he does like Barbara Streisand and the village people.LOL
Old 12 August 2012, 10:18 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
No, but I thought they got a runners up medal as per other competitions??? Despite defeat, they still have a 'prize' so to speak even if it isn't a bronze trophy, and are still referred to as runners up as opposed to losers.

I think the point is to acknowledge those right at the top of their game. Maybe it should just be gold, then it should also just be winners in football (no loser medals), the podium in F1 should only be the winner, no prizes of any kind to any runners up in any sport????

To some extent, I agree with where you come from, but then, I can be a right grumpy *******. Is it really so bad to celebrate coming close and being amongst the best rather than looking at it as a failure because it wasn't first place?
I hear ya. In F1, there are a number of race leading to the World Championship which is like Olympic heats leading to the Final. There ain't no Silver medal for coming second in the F1 WC
I'm not saying it's bad to be happy at being one of the top 3 in the world at something (i will certainly never have that) but i find it difficult to comprehend celebrating winning a bronze / Silver when in reality you have lost gold.
Old 12 August 2012, 11:04 AM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Old 12 August 2012, 11:28 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Brun, I understand what you are saying. Tom looked ecstatic and stressless after coming third, which is not so common for the thirders. They usually keep lower profile, and look a bit cheesed off, like that Chinese bloke (2nd place) looked. Tom instead jumped into the pool with his mates and had a jolly good play with the water. Then he was going 'Yaaye!' with his arm up to the crowd, as if to say, "we are the champions!", I know. I give credit to his teenage for being so unbelievably sporting over his bronze. For him, perhaps getting a bronze medal was a huge achievement this time around. Perhaps his coach also would have said to him that a medal would do; no matter what it is. You must also have noted the way of scoring. Every little move counts, which most spectators can't even make out. By merely .05, someone can lose their place in final 3. perhaps he didn't go in with much hope, and got something to show for. Other than that, it was the end for him to compete, which happened on the one before the last day of the Olympic. The lad would have thought that he could have a pint now, and let his bowlcut hair down.........Ah! What a relief for him! So, I think due to less expectations from himself and the 'phew' over the fact that there were no more competitive gig left to be stressed about could have catapulted him into the ecstacy of enjoying his bronze. I think for what the kid has been through, shining with bronze on the Olympic horizon is a great achievement.
Old 12 August 2012, 12:05 PM
Lisawrx

I hear ya. In F1, there are a number of race leading to the World Championship which is like Olympic heats leading to the Final. There ain't no Silver medal for coming second in the F1 WC
I'm not saying it's bad to be happy at being one of the top 3 in the world at something (i will certainly never have that) but i find it difficult to comprehend celebrating winning a bronze / Silver when in reality you have lost gold.
I get what you are saying, but maybe to him (and other competitors) it is still a big achievement and something to be proud of.

You're not a glass half full sort of person, are you?
Old 12 August 2012, 12:16 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Funny you should say that - throughout every aspect in life i am happy with my lot and always look on the bright side
Old 12 August 2012, 12:21 PM
Lisawrx

Funny you should say that - throughout every aspect in life i am happy with my lot and always look on the bright side
Good on you, that's how it should be

I can often be negative (about myself) so it is quite odd that I'm taking a glass half full stance here.

Quick Reply: I don't get the happiness in coming second...