Gold medals

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2012, 11:14 AM
Flight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gold medals

Did some maths ....

At the start of the last day, GB is sat on 28 gold medals. But if the population of USA was the same as GB they'd only have around 9. And if China only had the population of GB they might just about scrape 2 gold medals.
Old 12 August 2012, 11:15 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah but they don't have lottery funding.
Old 12 August 2012, 11:16 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Fabulous isn't it

For very nearly everyone, except slothmonster ^^^

Last edited by dpb; 12 August 2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12 August 2012, 11:17 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure what your issue is with the lottery funding? You mention it in all Olympic threads?

That is a good use of funds isn't it?
Old 12 August 2012, 11:17 AM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Yeah but they don't have lottery funding.
But by the law of averages they should have many more 'natural' athletes.
Old 12 August 2012, 11:24 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flaps
But by the law of averages they should have many more 'natural' athletes.
True. Most of our medals have come from rowing, sailing, cycling, equestrian etc. we've ruthlessly targeted 'weak' sports with funding and transferring athletes over to these sports.

The US has good traditional track and field,because of the college system, but I know of now national organisation to direct government funds around and move athletes to weak sports to win golds.

I kind of think ochases try has gone mad with the focus on winning medals like the old GDR. All we are doing is normalising expectations for the next games and it will beboh um if we only win the same amount. Plus what is the purpose of government trying to make sure we win loads of medals?
Old 12 August 2012, 11:33 AM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

You need to take poverty into account with China though. Huge population, but not all with the same access to facilities that we have.

Everyone forgets India aswell. Zero gold medals with 1 billion+? population. Thats true underachievement, even with their poverty.
Old 12 August 2012, 11:40 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I hear that on population ratio, GB is on top.

I would also like to thank the immigrants like Somalia born Muslim Mohamed Farah, who contributed to GB's reputation and status in the Olympics.

Note: Please do not start bickering about immigration on this thread, please. Credit is where its due, and that's what I have done in this post. Just enjoy the Olympic medal wins.
Old 12 August 2012, 11:49 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot

I would also like to thank the immigrants like Somalia born Muslim Mohamed Farah, who contributed to GB's reputation and status in the Olympics.

Note: Please do not start bickering about immigration on this thread, please. Credit is where its due, and that's what I have done in this post. Just enjoy the Olympic medal wins.
How do enjoy someone else medal?

AFAIK Mo is the only immigrant to benefit from lottery money and win a medal, so whymshould I thank other immigrants?
Old 12 August 2012, 12:11 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

How do enjoy someone else medal?
Do you know anything about national pride, Tony? it works like a glue to the society that you laugh about for being so disintegrated, and call the joy over the Olympics not so genuine. In my opinion, this national pride and euphoria is required. More so in the difficult times this country is facing.

AFAIK Mo is the only immigrant to benefit from lottery money and win a medal, so whymshould I thank other immigrants?
Look, I have not asked you or anyone to thank other immigrants. I instead have asked not to start this immigration debate off on this thread. However, I am within my rights to thank an immigrant for winning double gold, who couldn't even speak English well a while ago. Now he is gaining medals for GB. I wanted to praise him with full recognition to his being, and I have done my bit. Others who don't think all imigration is bad will also think the same as I do. Hope this answers your questions. Other than that, I am not going to get into any debate over immigration on this thread.

About your views on the so many ££££s spent on Olympics, I understand where you are coming from, but I am afraid I do not agree with you on that.
Old 12 August 2012, 12:13 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

True. Most of our medals have come from rowing, sailing, cycling, equestrian etc. we've ruthlessly targeted 'weak' sports with funding and transferring athletes over to these sports.
You really haven't got a ****ing clue, have you? Just to humour you though (while I'm waiting for the launch of your forthcoming thread on 'valid' uses of lottery funding), how many billions do you think it would have taken for us to get athletes ready to take on the Americans and Jamaicans in the sprinting disciplines, or the Kenyans and Ethiopians in long-distance running, and more to the point, how much more whining would you have done in threads like this, if that funding had actually been spent and borne fruit?
Old 12 August 2012, 12:14 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Old 12 August 2012, 12:16 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
Wurzel posted it a while ago, man. Its hilarious!
Old 12 August 2012, 12:16 PM
Kennyboyd31
Scooby Regular

Very proud of Team GB!!
Old 12 August 2012, 12:21 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Do you know anything about national pride, Tony? it works like a glue to the society that you laugh about for being so disintegrated, and call the joy over the Olympics not so genuine. In my opinion, this national pride and euphoria is required. More so in the difficult times this country is facing.

Look, I have not asked you or anyone to thank other immigrants. I instead have asked not to start this immigration debate off on this thread. However, I am within my rights to thank an immigrant for winning double gold, who couldn't even speak English well a while ago. Now he is gaining medals for GB. I wanted to praise him with full recognition to his being, and I have done my bit. Others who don't think all imigration is bad will also think the same as I do. Hope this answers your questions. Other than that, I am not going to get into any debate over immigration on this thread.

About your views on the so many ££££s spent on Olympics, I understand where you are coming from, but I am afraid I do not agree with you on that.
Swati,

Maybe it would have been better not to bring up the subject of immigration at all.

But well done to Mo, who to me, along with Jess Ennis, have been the two outstanding athletes in the Olympics.

Chip
Old 12 August 2012, 12:24 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kennyboyd31
Very proud of Team GB!!
+1
Old 12 August 2012, 12:35 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Swati,

Maybe it would have been better not to bring up the subject of immigration at all.

Chip

I disagree, Chip. I shouldn't have given the guy's total being a full credit because it would cause havoc??? I shouldn't have mentioned the obvious and notable thing because some would get their knickers in the twist?? Please look at it with an open mind, not with the fear of someone picking on it ignorantly and with prejudice. I made my intention clear in my first post, and I do not think I did anything wrong by bringing it up.
Old 12 August 2012, 12:37 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Swati,

I wasn't saying it was wrong to bring it up , just that it may have been better not to.

Chip
Old 12 August 2012, 12:42 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Swati,

I wasn't saying it was wrong to bring it up , just that it may have been better not to.

Chip
I still disagree. There is no fear and shame in recognising and crediting diversity. If some people doesn't understand it, perhaps they will; one day. If not, so be it.
Old 12 August 2012, 12:44 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

OK, lets just agree that he did a fantastic job and hopefully will again in RIO in 4 years time.

Chip
Old 12 August 2012, 12:45 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I still disagree. There is no fear and shame in recognising and crediting diversity. If some people doesn't understand it, perhaps they will; one day. If not, so be it.
If diversity is so self evidently great why make a song and a dance about it?
Old 12 August 2012, 12:49 PM
Flight
Scooby Regular

This thread is f***ed. I only posted some basic stats!
Old 12 August 2012, 12:52 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

If diversity is so self evidently great why make a song and a dance about it?
It is not evidently great. That is why song and dance is necessary.

Just admit that you don't like anyone singing and dancing for anything, full stop.
I can imagine you cringing and moaning tonight over the closing ceremony.
Old 12 August 2012, 12:53 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flight
This thread is f***ed. I only posted some basic stats!
No, its not.

Well done, GB!
Old 12 August 2012, 12:57 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

It is not evidently great. That is why song and dance is necessary.

Just admit that you don't like anyone singing and dancing for anything, full stop.
I can imagine you cringing and moaning tonight over the closing ceremony.
So we're having a mass ritual or mass celebration for something we're not sure is good or bad?

If social practices could be read literally we wouldn't need sociology.

Worshiping God would just be worshiping god and a cigar would always be just a cigar.
Old 12 August 2012, 01:37 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

So we're having a mass ritual or mass celebration for something we're not sure is good or bad?
That's you jumping to your own conclusions about the mass ritual/celebrations as some kind of plural ignorance; looking at everything with your negative and unsure perspective again, and that's fine. Free country, innit. We need counterarguers to offer their perspective, but they are not essentially right.

If social practices could be read literally we wouldn't need sociology.
Hang on a sec. This^ is one weird comment. Sociology involves reading social practices literally and then looking into the meaning of them. Therefore sociology will still be needed to do that, and social animals and their practices will be the subjects to that study.

Worshiping God would just be worshiping god and a cigar would always be just a cigar.
And?

But here you are; looking at the cigar as mere cigar. Literally. Look within the cigar with your beady eyes. You may find some tobacco and many riddles that make that cigar a cigar.

In addition, those great Olympic medals will literally be the great Olympic medals achieved by Great Britain, no matter what you think of them.

Conclusion: Well done, Team GB!

Now, start preparing for tonight's closing ceremony. You have a lot of crying to do. I look forward to it. it will be great!
Old 12 August 2012, 01:46 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think TOnys correct we should should enter him in the minority sport of being a **** in Rio, it shouldn't cost anything much at all to secure a gold medal
Old 12 August 2012, 02:03 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The US has good traditional track and field,because of the college system, but I know of now national organisation to direct government funds around and move athletes to weak sports to win golds.

I kind of think ochases try has gone mad with the focus on winning medals like the old GDR. All we are doing is normalising expectations for the next games and it will beboh um if we only win the same amount. Plus what is the purpose of government trying to make sure we win loads of medals?
Never mind TDW, it will all be over soon and then you will be able to complain about the Paralympics instead! That will be fun won't it?

Les
Old 12 August 2012, 02:56 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Incorrect, it's Greneda with 1 gold medal for a total population of 100,000.
Old 12 August 2012, 03:19 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
I think TOnys correct we should should enter him in the minority sport of being a **** in Rio, it shouldn't cost anything much at all to secure a gold medal

Quick Reply: Gold medals