Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Parking Tickets..

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2012, 02:45 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Parking Tickets..

I've had 2 of these recently - the first £25, which I paid and contentested as the signs were completely obscured by scrubs (sent them a picture). They came back saying they wouldn't refund this as there was a payment machine up the street which I should have seen... I parked on the same street a week later and the plants had been cut back so the signs were visible however..

Second ticket I saw on my windscreen (I had paid for parking but was 5 minutes late back to refill). I left this on my screen as I wasn't going to put more money in having already taken a ticket, but when I returned the ticket had gone. I called the council 2 weeks later about this and the penalty had gone up to £70

Any ideas on how to contest either of these? Specifically the first which I believe I have a case for, but not sure what to go back to them with?

Thanks
Old 06 September 2012, 03:29 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
I've had 2 of these recently - the first £25, which I paid and contentested as the signs were completely obscured by scrubs (sent them a picture). They came back saying they wouldn't refund this as there was a payment machine up the street which I should have seen... I parked on the same street a week later and the plants had been cut back so the signs were visible however..

Second ticket I saw on my windscreen (I had paid for parking but was 5 minutes late back to refill). I left this on my screen as I wasn't going to put more money in having already taken a ticket, but when I returned the ticket had gone. I called the council 2 weeks later about this and the penalty had gone up to £70

Any ideas on how to contest either of these? Specifically the first which I believe I have a case for, but not sure what to go back to them with?

Thanks
Were they issued by the council/police? If so you can make a letter of representation to the council concerned.

They will doubtless still say you have to pay at which point you can go to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal.

After a lot of messing around and half a day lost attending a hearing you may well get cleared of the charge, but you will not be able to claim costs (great idea NL) so it will cost you more to do it than paying the ticket.

It's a complete con and my advice is to write a letter see where it gets you and if no dice pay up and forget about it.

I am still fighting Manchester City Council where a lying scumbag of a civil enforcement officer claims to have ticketed my car when he didn't! The TPT say I should be happy that they saw fit to drop the charge, I told them to get f**Ked as it has cost me ten times the ticket value to get cleared so I am now pursuing Manchester Council through the courts!
Old 06 September 2012, 06:30 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

why did you wait 2 weeks ? If you wanted to contest you only have 14 days after which the fine doubles , then if you loose after that , it trebles. It has to be in writing , and the days freeze when they recieve it. I contested mine the day i got it , and got off with it (they couldve had me on a technicality , but they had no photos to prove their case)
Old 06 September 2012, 07:13 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Were they issued by the council/police? If so you can make a letter of representation to the council concerned.

They will doubtless still say you have to pay at which point you can go to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal.

After a lot of messing around and half a day lost attending a hearing you may well get cleared of the charge, but you will not be able to claim costs (great idea NL) so it will cost you more to do it than paying the ticket.

It's a complete con and my advice is to write a letter see where it gets you and if no dice pay up and forget about it.

I am still fighting Manchester City Council where a lying scumbag of a civil enforcement officer claims to have ticketed my car when he didn't! The TPT say I should be happy that they saw fit to drop the charge, I told them to get f**Ked as it has cost me ten times the ticket value to get cleared so I am now pursuing Manchester Council through the courts!
Well actually i work in th ticket office at Manchester City Council, i'll look into this and see if i can get the fine quadrupled. Was you in your Jag or your rusty old classic?
Old 07 September 2012, 06:06 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Seems to me that if you park illegally you are at risk of getting a penalty!

Les
Old 07 September 2012, 06:17 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie

Les
And in Manchester if you park legally too!
Old 07 September 2012, 06:36 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Leslie

Les
That's a bit out of character.
Old 07 September 2012, 06:49 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

i have no problem with getting a ticket if i have parked illegally (only ever ticket i got was 10mins late as i lost track of time) however , i disputed mine this time as i thought the guy was obviously assuming i had went over my time without any evidence .
Old 10 September 2012, 12:05 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
And in Manchester if you park legally too!
That must be a bit of a worry!

Les