Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Advice needed MTB C2W scheme

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2012, 05:58 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Advice needed MTB C2W scheme

Need some advice as I'm about to embark on a fitness regime which is going to start with a return to cycling after 20 or so years.

Basically I'm buying a bike through the C2W scheme and have narrowed my choice down to two bikes.

The aim is to buy a bike that will initially be used for road and light trail use and then in a year or so get on the tougher tracks. I'm looking for a bike that will last me a good few years. I'm currently 6ft 1 and approaching 19st so I neede to start somewhere.

I would appreciate your advice on which of the two is the better option.

First up Ghost SE3000

http://www.ghost-bikes.com/bikes-201...etail/se-3000/

Or

Scott aspect 29 sport
http://www.scott-sports.com/global/e...ct-29-sport-l/

Cheers

Daz
Old 08 September 2012, 06:32 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Neither, let me explain.

If i were you, initially i would buy a hybrid bike, this would be ideal for road and light trail use. As the cycle scheme contract can be finished in a year depending upon the final option you take, sell the bike.
Start another cycle scheme contract and then buy the mountain bike.
In that time you will have built up some decent fitness, lost weight through going on long rides which i won't happen on a mountain bike.
Riding mountain bikes on the road especially when trying to build up fitness is tough work, too much rolling resistance from the nobbly tyres, you'll loose interest.

Bear in mind second hand bike prices are pretty good. I bought a Scott P55 hybrid for £350 from a local bike shop, it was discounted because it was the end of the season, rode it for a year and a half and sold it for £250 on Ebay.

Just a thought......

Nik.

Last edited by nik52wrx; 08 September 2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08 September 2012, 08:09 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to your local bike shop and look for last years model, I got a Trek 8000 that retails at £1600 for £1040, its great. as an only bike I would recommend a Hybrid as has been mentioned but not one with skinny road tyres, I have a Road Bike, Hybrid and MTB and like them all but I reckon a Hybrid on decent sized tyres is the best compromise.
Old 08 September 2012, 10:45 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys,

I borrowed a colleagues bike last week and did about 8K on it. It was a specialized Limited (hybrid with skinny tyres) and I found it quite twitchy. I put this down to not riding a proper bike for many years and being a shed load bigger than I was back then.

I didn't feel comfortable on it at all and felt as though one single **** up would see my on my ****. That's my reasoning for wanting something a little more robust.

Whilst I really like the looks of the Ghost I'm steering towars the Scott as it has 29's on it which will make things easier for a lump like me.

I could always swap the tyres for some a little smoother.

To be fair had the Ghost had 29s id go for that no question as I really like how it looks.
So Ive narrowed it down to one of these two. Which of the two should I go for. Which one is best?
Old 08 September 2012, 11:14 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Spec and weight wise there's not too much in it, what prices can you get them at?
Nik
Old 08 September 2012, 11:45 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Both £699.
Old 09 September 2012, 09:01 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

With Either of those bikes you are going to want to swap tyres anyway, I take on board what you say about a hybrid feeling twitchy, it's probably because you haven't ridden a bike in 20 years, you soon get back into it.

Mountain bike tyres are terrible on roads, when commuting you will soon realise when literally everyone is passing you on other bikes and they are really hard work. You will need some slick tyres whichever you go for.
Old 09 September 2012, 10:27 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

My GF bought a Carrera Hybrid. I took her on one off road route and she couldn't get anywhere with it, no grip. Only get the hybrid if you're doing very easy, dry off road and mainly road. The Ghost looks a nice bike. There's some bargains around, what with the 2013 range almost out.

Should bear in mind the new changes to the C2WS. With 25% being the final payment, instead of 5%. It's hardly worth it now.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...e-bargain-ends

Last edited by GazTheHat; 09 September 2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11 September 2012, 01:51 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Hybrid with 37mm tyres or MTB with the same. Look for end of year bargains. Check recommended rider sizes per frame size. MTBs tend to have a high bottom bracket and because of their intended use there's a recommended "knacker clearance" for the top bar.

I got my MTB for £400 down from £900. On road it rolls very nicely (and quietly) on 37mm city/commuting tyres.
Old 11 September 2012, 07:27 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Iv got continental contacts on my ,ancient , mountain bike ( orange p7)
, as well as very knobbly ones it came with for the Forrest.

It's okay like this but I'd stillll rather be on the road bike less weight no ducking and weaving from the front suspension.
Hybrid would be great compromise though