Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

A little plea.....

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2012, 07:45 PM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little plea.....

This is not a pity post....I'll say that from the outset!!

My wonderful hubby has today been diagnosed with skin cancer. We noticed a mole on his forehead a couple of months ago which we realised wasn't there a few years ago. He has grade 2 cancer but looking very positive.

For the sake of a few minutes, please please check your moles regularly and please please get someone else to check the areas you cannot see.

We were lucky in that we have caught it early. I dread to think what might have happened if I hadn't nagged him to go to the doctors (the ONLY time I've ever been thanked for being a nag!).

Please check regularly people.
Old 25 September 2012, 08:05 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Mate has had lymphoma like 20 years ago, and something he thought would serious about 5. Years back ( wasnt) , but he regularly ,it seems, is getting bits cut off which he is worried might not be benign
Old 25 September 2012, 08:18 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

boots do a walk in service too, where the take a photo of you whole body - wife and I did this a few years ago

and your GP will happily look at any you think suspicious too

good advice
Old 25 September 2012, 08:21 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 496 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
boots do a walk in service too, where the take a photo of you whole body - wife and I did this a few years ago

and your GP will happily look at any you think suspicious too

good advice
hhmmm i have a 2 moles on the back of my neck and 3 larger ones on the lower part of my calfe none of these were there 10 years ago im worried now so im gonna get these looked at asap
Old 25 September 2012, 08:31 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sound advice .....
Old 25 September 2012, 08:55 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I remember going to the docs to have a mole removed - its large like a mushroom and I said I was concerned. The Doc said it's not the type to get cancerous and it would hurt to remove it.

Not that I would feel better without it. clearly he wanted not to spend any of my taxes on me and I still have it hoping it won't change....
Old 25 September 2012, 09:36 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I've had various moles and such like removed over the years, three by surgery, three by being frozen off, plus sundry skin-tags.

I have quite large areas of "sun damaged" skin, due to having spent holidays six weeks at a time in Spain as a kiddy, before anyone really knew about sun-block. I mean..........we used to put on a mixture of olive oil and lemon juice, or olive oil and vinegar!

I've recently been told that any of the marks on my face, hands or shoulders, could turn cancerous.

I keep an eye on them and go to the quack if any start to change.
Old 25 September 2012, 09:43 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

What made your husband suspect something wasn't "right"?
Old 25 September 2012, 09:52 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for that helpful advice & for sharing it on this forum. Since I turned 50 I go for regular check-ups at the docs, maybe leaving it until one is 50 is not good advice.

In fact my wife has just been diagnosed with diabetes which shocked the doctor because her last blood test 6-8 months ago was fine.
Old 26 September 2012, 06:36 AM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
What made your husband suspect something wasn't "right"?
The only thing that raised a red flag, so to speak, was that it was a mole that hadn't been there before and was growing. When we checked back over photographs, we could first see it in 2009 and it was fairly small. When he went to the doctors, it was 1cm in length.

The doctor said today that other than that feature, there was nothing about the mole which would have raised suspicion. It didn't have any of the other unusual signs that we are taught to look for.

Thankfully, we seem to have caught it before it got too deep which hopefully means that it won't have spread, but that won't be confirmed until after the next lot of surgery and the skin/tissue removed has been examined.
Old 26 September 2012, 06:38 AM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
hhmmm i have a 2 moles on the back of my neck and 3 larger ones on the lower part of my calfe none of these were there 10 years ago im worried now so im gonna get these looked at asap
I'm sorry....I certainly didn't mean to worry anyone.

It is good though that you are going to get them checked out.
Old 26 September 2012, 02:44 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ritchie21
This is not a pity post....I'll say that from the outset!!

My wonderful hubby has today been diagnosed with skin cancer. We noticed a mole on his forehead a couple of months ago which we realised wasn't there a few years ago. He has grade 2 cancer but looking very positive.

For the sake of a few minutes, please please check your moles regularly and please please get someone else to check the areas you cannot see.

We were lucky in that we have caught it early. I dread to think what might have happened if I hadn't nagged him to go to the doctors (the ONLY time I've ever been thanked for being a nag!).

Please check regularly people.
You did well to get him to go to the doctor about it. You are quite right too, it is very important to get anything like that checked out by a professional. Thank goodness it has been caught early.

Having had cancer I know only too well how important it is to get it sorted right from the start.

Les