Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Banks taking the p*ss again!

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2012, 06:01 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry Banks taking the p*ss again!

After all the furore that he went through, my eldest managed to eventually get straight with Lloyds TSB, but not before having to lay down the rules that THEY must abide by. (They did so, and refunded him nearly £700 of charges and interest!).

Three weeks ago, my youngest's bank (HSBC this time), wrote and told him to contact them about his overdraft, (free student one,) since his account was dormant.

He rang to explain that he was finished at uni, unemployed and was about to be in receipt of JSA, so would it be alright to take the account OUT of dormancy by 30th Septmeber?

Yes, that would be OK.

One week later, they write again, saying he hasn't contacted them, and so his overdraft facility is cancelled and he must pay it off within 180 days

Now on £46 pw, if he paid them EVERY PENNY he gets, he would only be able to pay off just under £1100 in that time.
Are they bothered? Nope. He rang and tried to get them to move, no, they HAVE a note on the system about waiting for 30th September, but decided to go ahead and cancel it anyway. B@st@rds!

So he's written explaining the situation and telling them that he refuses to make contact by phone any more, so that they have to stick to promises, and explaining that he can, at present, afford £5 per week off his o/d. He has also asked them NOT to add charges and interest, in accordance with their original agreement, until he gets employment.

I think that is fair.

We await their response.
Old 26 September 2012, 06:03 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't you just clear his debts?
Old 26 September 2012, 06:05 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Don't have £1500 spare, Pete, or I would.

Do you want to lend it him?
Old 26 September 2012, 06:07 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It may sound harsh but he was quick to borrow the £1100 I'm sure.

The bank is trying to recoup their losses.

All he has to Is offer a monthly token payment
Old 26 September 2012, 06:39 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I was just assuming that £1500 was what most people had as rainy day money, sorry I was wrong.

I would lend him it, but, sadly, I too would want repayment with interest.
Old 26 September 2012, 06:48 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis

I was just assuming that £1500 was what most people had as rainy day money, sorry I was wrong.

Well it's time you got out into the real world then. Eton expression that isn't it?
Old 26 September 2012, 06:51 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

It's not Eton at all .......... I am sure that 99% of posters on here can lay their hands on £1,500 without any trouble at all.

I'm just sorry that alcazar isn't one of them - that's all.

Trending Topics

Old 26 September 2012, 06:55 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
It may sound harsh but he was quick to borrow the £1100 I'm sure.

The bank is trying to recoup their losses.

All he has to Is offer a monthly token payment
Quick? Nope, over four years trying to live at uni.

He MADE an agreement, THEY broke it, now they are persecuting him for THEIR lies!
Old 26 September 2012, 06:56 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

It's not Eton at all .......... I am sure that 99% of posters on here can lay their hands on £1,500 without any trouble at all.

I'm just sorry that alcazar isn't one of them - that's all.
No, sadly, Im not, and we are into £5100 THIS year for the eldest to go to uni.....
Old 26 September 2012, 07:50 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
but not before having to lay down the rules that THEY must abide by.
Pardon??
Old 26 September 2012, 09:08 PM
ChrisB

"How to Win Friends & Influence People" - the 2012 update & revision by PS Lewis...
Old 26 September 2012, 09:10 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Pardon??
Rules like, "I WILL NOT correspond with you other than in writing", otherwise, they deny having made agreemenmts etc.
Old 26 September 2012, 09:16 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Sorry you're using words like "they MUST" to a bank?? Am i missing something??
Old 26 September 2012, 09:49 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
"How to Win Friends & Influence People" - the 2012 update & revision by PS Lewis...
I tell it as it is ..... I influence people daily - you can see it in every 20 page thread I start, I don't need any more friends
Old 27 September 2012, 10:54 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Sorry you're using words like "they MUST" to a bank?? Am i missing something??
No mate, We just tell THEM what is going to happen, and why.

In the end, they know that if they push, he will go before a court and explain his finances and the bank will be awarded £1 a week, or similar.

Courts have no time for banks at the moment, especially if they are seen to be screwing the little guy.
Old 27 September 2012, 11:19 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Ok so you think you can push a bank around, and your thread title says banks taking the pi$$ again. Sorry but due to reasons of illogicality, i'm out.
Old 27 September 2012, 12:38 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Been there, done it.

We layed down the law to Lloyds TSB, they buckled and refunded my eldest £700 in charges and interest.

You just need to be strong with them, or they WILL push you about.
Old 27 September 2012, 01:15 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

After all the furore that he went through, my eldest managed to eventually get straight with Lloyds TSB, but not before having to lay down the rules that THEY must abide by. (They did so, and refunded him nearly £700 of charges and interest!).

Three weeks ago, my youngest's bank (HSBC this time), wrote and told him to contact them about his overdraft, (free student one,) since his account was dormant.

He rang to explain that he was finished at uni, unemployed and was about to be in receipt of JSA, so would it be alright to take the account OUT of dormancy by 30th Septmeber?

Yes, that would be OK.

One week later, they write again, saying he hasn't contacted them, and so his overdraft facility is cancelled and he must pay it off within 180 days

Now on £46 pw, if he paid them EVERY PENNY he gets, he would only be able to pay off just under £1100 in that time.
Are they bothered? Nope. He rang and tried to get them to move, no, they HAVE a note on the system about waiting for 30th September, but decided to go ahead and cancel it anyway. B@st@rds!

So he's written explaining the situation and telling them that he refuses to make contact by phone any more, so that they have to stick to promises, and explaining that he can, at present, afford £5 per week off his o/d. He has also asked them NOT to add charges and interest, in accordance with their original agreement, until he gets employment.

I think that is fair.

We await their response.
If nothing else your youngest should gain an important life lesson from this - don't borrow money unless you have the means to pay it back Also a good reason not to bail him out like Pete suggests (& yes £1500 isn't much but I still wouldn't lend it to my kids without a standing order in place to re-pay it).

I'm not sure the bank are doing anything wrong really, he had a student account with a free overdraft, he used it, now he's no longer a student so they want their money back (or they'll start chargiong interest, late payment fees etc.). I'd talk to them and try to agree some sort of repayment method just to show willing if nothing else.

Asides which if he isn't studying why isn't he working, even if it's just something temporary in the supermarket, MCDonalds, local building site, whatever. Nothing a future employer frowns upon more than than if you been sat on you **** scrounging of the state while waiting for your dream job to come along. What did he study?
Old 27 September 2012, 01:25 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I tell it as it is ..... I influence people daily - you can see it in every 20 page thread I start, I don't need any more friends
This is the only person that you can possibly influence Pete:

TX.
Old 27 September 2012, 04:29 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I was able to impress on my bank quite successfully that they "must" refund me the PPI payments which they charged me without any such request from me, as well as the interest due too!

Les
Old 27 September 2012, 04:35 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I was able to impress on my bank quite successfully that they "must" refund me the PPI payments which they charged me without any such request from me, as well as the interest due too!

Les
Thank you Les! Finally, someone else on here who had ppi protection added without permission.
A few 'know-it-alls' on here wouldn't believe me. I take your payments were also hidden in the interest amounts?
Old 27 September 2012, 06:10 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
If nothing else your youngest should gain an important life lesson from this - don't borrow money unless you have the means to pay it back
Great idea......so how, precisely, do people with no income and no rich parents go to university, then?

I'm not sure the bank are doing anything wrong really, he had a student account with a free overdraft, he used it, now he's no longer a student so they want their money back (or they'll start chargiong interest, late payment fees etc.). I'd talk to them and try to agree some sort of repayment method just to show willing if nothing else.
Doing nothing wrong? Well apart from telling him he would be OK if he paid in £10 minimum by 30th September to get the account out of dormancy, then brealing that agreemanet within one week and BEFORE the 30th September?
Apart from telling him he must repay the whole lot within 180 days, despite not being in work?

No, not much wrong there.

A
sides which if he isn't studying why isn't he working, even if it's just something temporary in the supermarket, MCDonalds, local building site, whatever. Nothing a future employer frowns upon more than than if you been sat on you **** scrounging of the state while waiting for your dream job to come along. What did he study?
He isn't working because he CAN'T GET A JOB! He's applied for loads, but is now overq1ualified for supermarket shelf filling, (and round here, yoiu don't get in with Tossco and the like unless you have family already working there), and tthere are no qualified jobs. This sin't the south east you know.

Neither can he afford to move away, since he would have £6.40 an hour and nowhere to live.

He's applied for well over 200 jobs........and nothing. Two interviews.

He has a degree in chemistry form Hull Uni.
Old 27 September 2012, 06:33 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Sorry i don't want to bang on, but you're bitching about a bank not upholding something mentioned during a phone conversation, rather than a written contract as part of a defined product.

In my eyes you don't have a leg to stand on, and any amount of the bank WILL do this and that will only compound your frustration.
Old 27 September 2012, 06:35 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

pslewis, you are a massive ********.
Old 27 September 2012, 06:38 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Great idea......so how, precisely, do people with no income and no rich parents go to university, then?

Doing nothing wrong? Well apart from telling him he would be OK if he paid in £10 minimum by 30th September to get the account out of dormancy, then brealing that agreemanet within one week and BEFORE the 30th September?
Apart from telling him he must repay the whole lot within 180 days, despite not being in work?

No, not much wrong there.

A

He isn't working because he CAN'T GET A JOB! He's applied for loads, but is now overq1ualified for supermarket shelf filling, (and round here, yoiu don't get in with Tossco and the like unless you have family already working there), and tthere are no qualified jobs. This sin't the south east you know.

Neither can he afford to move away, since he would have £6.40 an hour and nowhere to live.

He's applied for well over 200 jobs........and nothing. Two interviews.

He has a degree in chemistry form Hull Uni.

He has a degree and has applied for 200 jobs without success?

Something is very wrong there
Old 27 September 2012, 06:53 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
He has a degree and has applied for 200 jobs without success?

Something is very wrong there
nothings wrong it just serves to prove that thier is no point training for jobs that don't excist, the quicker the goverment wake up to the fact the better, my cousin got a levels and 3 degrees and ended up being a cashier in barclays, waste of her mothers and taxpayers money imho
Old 27 September 2012, 06:59 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

They should teach kids to spell and add up for a start!
Old 27 September 2012, 07:03 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madscoob
thier is...excist...goverment

Quite, Boro.
Old 27 September 2012, 07:44 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madscoob
nothings wrong it just serves to prove that thier is no point training for jobs that don't excist, the quicker the goverment wake up to the fact the better, my cousin got a levels and 3 degrees and ended up being a cashier in barclays, waste of her mothers and taxpayers money imho

Sorry mate but that nonsense proves nothing.When he told you 'he got a levels' I think he meant he likes brown love and 'eats da poo poo'

And the only three degrees your cousin has is a CD of these lovely people

Old 27 September 2012, 07:51 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

How specific has he been in the jobs he has applied for?

Quick Reply: Banks taking the p*ss again!