Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Stepped on a nail 'friggin hell!

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2012, 12:03 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stepped on a nail 'friggin hell!

I think it went into my foot by just 2-3mm but ******* hell it hurts like crazy; I can hardly walk or put any pressure on it. It happened at about 5pm but it's frobbing a lot more now.

I've spoken to my parents and they say I should go to A&E to get a tetanus jab in my backside, but I'm only 22 so surely the ones I had at school are enough?

Anything, think I'm going to head into A&E Saturday morning once all the drunks have buggered off just to be safe. Reading up about tetanus I don't think it's worth the risk.
Old 29 September 2012, 12:06 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LSherratt
I think it went into my foot by just 2-3mm but ******* hell it hurts like crazy; I can hardly walk or put any pressure on it. It happened at about 5pm but it's frobbing a lot more now.

I've spoken to my parents and they say I should go to A&E to get a tetanus jab in my backside, but I'm only 22 so surely the ones I had at school are enough?

Anything, think I'm going to head into A&E Saturday morning once all the drunks have buggered off just to be safe. Reading up about tetanus I don't think it's worth the risk.
The needle is worst than the nail
Old 29 September 2012, 12:08 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 185 Likes on 142 Posts

They do it in the arm now but do get one.
Old 29 September 2012, 12:19 AM
Lisawrx

Probably be best to go, just to be on the safe side.

In terms of injury, I raise your standing on a nail, for my ripping my big toenail off. Now that hurt.
Old 29 September 2012, 12:25 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

10 years, if it's not still in there be tempted to dip your foot in something antiseptic and go in the morning
Old 29 September 2012, 12:31 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Well it went straight through my wellington boot and I kicked it off immediately so the nail came out as I kicked the boot off. I hobbled into the house and bathed it in some TCP antiseptic liquid and then slapped a plaster on it, but yeah, gonna go in the morning. I just dread the 3-6 hour waiting time
Old 29 September 2012, 12:36 AM
Lisawrx

Well it went straight through my wellington boot and I kicked it off immediately so the nail came out as I kicked the boot off. I hobbled into the house and bathed it in some TCP antiseptic liquid and then slapped a plaster on it, but yeah, gonna go in the morning. I just dread the 3-6 hour waiting time
Don't you have a walk in centre close by? I don't know what the waiting time would be, but you might have a better chance of being seen sooner there than A&E.

Trending Topics

Old 29 September 2012, 06:59 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Ouch.

Reminds me of the time my grandad stood on a paint scraper, you know the sort.. triangular head with a handle where if you left it on the floor one of the points of the triangle would be dead upright. It went straight through his leather sole'd slipper and deep into his foot, grim.
Old 29 September 2012, 08:14 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

My mum put a pitchfork clean through her foot and pinned it to the ground when she was a kid !
Old 29 September 2012, 08:22 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Old 29 September 2012, 10:46 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Takes a microsecond for the germs to transfer from the nail into your bloodstream.

Just not worth taking a risk with it, you would have done better to go to the doctor straightaway.

Hope it was not a rusty nail anyway. Good thing that you are going to the doctor anyway.

Les
Old 29 September 2012, 11:08 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I had a pneumonia jab yesterday and asked the nurse if I should have a tetanus top-up. Answer no as my records showed I had had them as a kid and so no need.

So I suggest you phone your surgery to check and save an A&E visit.

If it starts to look infected then go to surgery or A&E.

I had similar as a kid playing on a building site. 6" nail went right through foot

dl
Old 29 September 2012, 11:26 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

I've had about 4 nails in my foot over the years,i even jumped off a grass embankment once and landed right on one.Don't ever remember having sore throbbing pains the way you describe,it was more of a numb feeling with a bit of blood.
I'd get it checked out.
Old 29 September 2012, 12:07 PM
carnuts
Scooby Regular

Happened to me a while ago, went straight through my doc martens and half an inch into my foot i left it for a couple of days ( big mistake ) could hardly move my leg at all and had to call doctor to the house she gave me the tetanus jab and things got better in no time at all.
Old 29 September 2012, 12:25 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Stepping on an upright plug in bare feet is another good one

TX.
Old 29 September 2012, 12:35 PM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
My mum put a pitchfork clean through her foot and pinned it to the ground when she was a kid !
My mum did exactly the same thing.

I on the other hand built a lovely wooden go cart which I took to the top of hill leading to an underpass. On the way down I reached an impressive speed and was cheering wildly. What I failed to notice was the drainage ditch had had a grill removed by some nasty ******. Anyway, I was speeding down the hill and as I reached the grill free ditch the cart stopped dead I was shot forward along the cart and was impaled on the the first three inches of a six inch nail I had forgotten to fully bend out of the way. I was stuck with this nail rammed into my gluteus maximus until the paramedics (ambulance men as they were then known) freed me. The pain I will never forget. The laughter of all including said paramedics, I wish I could forget.
Old 29 September 2012, 02:11 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Excellent story magepaster

Well anyway, that was the biggest waste of a morning I have ever spent. I spent about 4 hours in total only to be told they don't even do the tetanus jab in A&E!! ....and because I'm only 22, the jabs that I had in school, and the booster jab in secondary school will be enough anyway (what David Lock said). She said to me, and I kid you not, just to take some paracetamol and if it isn't getting better, ring your GP instead.
Old 29 September 2012, 02:16 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Good advice, NHS telephone service would have told you the same no doubt.
Old 29 September 2012, 02:30 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Excellent story magepaster

Well anyway, that was the biggest waste of a morning I have ever spent. I spent about 4 hours in total only to be told they don't even do the tetanus jab in A&E!! ....and because I'm only 22, the jabs that I had in school, and the booster jab in secondary school will be enough anyway (what David Lock said). She said to me, and I kid you not, just to take some paracetamol and if it isn't getting better, ring your GP instead.
Just bath your foot in some water and antiseptic and keep it clean,don't go walking about barefoot and letting germs/dirt back in the cut...
Old 29 September 2012, 02:43 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

He is of course in a more prone situation given his working environment
Old 29 September 2012, 03:14 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Sorry to sound dumb, but why should treading on a nail potentially mean tetanus but other injuries (e.g. getting scratched on barbed wire, a thorn stuck in your hand, smashing a finger under a rock etc.) barely warrant a plaster?

I am not trying to trivialise LS's situation but is H&S starting to control our lives?

mb
Old 29 September 2012, 03:15 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Nail in the shoe is quite bad as well. A few months ago, I limped all over Cardiff because the nail from the shoe heel rose it's ugly head through the shoe sole; digging into my tender foot-heel. One of my free-spirited group members had given herself a job of leading us everywhere, and she was determined to make us walk. I quite liked the idea, but that nail in my shoe tried it's utmost to ruin it for me. I am proud that I didn't let that beat me. However, I know people with the nails, needles and staples through their heel and thumbs etc. I can imagine their pain- OUCH!!!!
Old 29 September 2012, 03:30 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by boomer
Sorry to sound dumb, but why should treading on a nail potentially mean tetanus but other injuries (e.g. getting scratched on barbed wire, a thorn stuck in your hand, smashing a finger under a rock etc.) barely warrant a plaster?

I am not trying to trivialise LS's situation but is H&S starting to control our lives?

mb
Depends on the object penetrating your body
Old 29 September 2012, 03:39 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Well the nail was in an old pen where we used to keep unwanted cockerels with muck still present so it's not the cleanest of places. Yes looking back it was probably unnecessary but I wanted to be safer than sorry, and at least I know that my jabs from school are sufficient enough

Last edited by LSherratt; 29 September 2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 29 September 2012, 03:42 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Wtf

Get with it ! it's nothing to do with the flesh wounds it's the small possibility that the penetration has bought infection from decaying fecal matter !
Old 29 September 2012, 03:53 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by magepaster

I on the other hand built a lovely wooden go cart which I took to the top of hill leading to an underpass. On the way down I reached an impressive speed and was cheering wildly. What I failed to notice was the drainage ditch had had a grill removed by some nasty ******. Anyway, I was speeding down the hill and as I reached the grill free ditch the cart stopped dead I was shot forward along the cart and was impaled on the the first three inches of a six inch nail I had forgotten to fully bend out of the way. I was stuck with this nail rammed into my gluteus maximus until the paramedics (ambulance men as they were then known) freed me. The pain I will never forget. The laughter of all including said paramedics, I wish I could forget.
Christ on the go cart.

Very well expressed.