Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Last cut of the year... & ironing lol

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2012, 03:38 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 185 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Last cut of the year... & ironing lol

When would you say it's the last time to cut the grass? I have just done it and am not expecting to do it again until Feb / March time

Also, for the scoobie females.. I iron clothes inside out but when I do the outter edge of trousers on the outside They go all shiney. How do I stop this?
Old 30 September 2012, 03:40 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on the weather. If it swaps between sunny and rainy and not that cold (as it currently is) then the grass will continue to grow and need cutting.
Old 30 September 2012, 03:55 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Cut mine yesterday but think it will need to be done again in a week or two.

As for the ironing, it's simple, get the wife to do it.
Old 30 September 2012, 04:04 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cut the grass once this year and that will do,as for shiny clothes,make sure your iron is not set at too high temperature setting for the fabric you want to iron,don't press and hold down too hard on clothes,use a cloth between the iron and clothing,this protects the clothes from direct heat,if you got hard to get out creases,use the steam function..
Old 30 September 2012, 04:07 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Just sitting down with a cup of coffee having come in from cutting mine. Unless there is another dry snap then I don't expect to be able to cut it again this year.

What's ironing
Old 30 September 2012, 04:21 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

I am forever cutting ours but I enjoy the ride on mower. I feel that I am at the height of manlyhood as I zoom up and down the lane, getting right up close against the hedge making light work of the brambles and nettles sticking out trying to block my path. The handling on it isn't the greatest but that doesn't stop me mowing perfect circles around the many trees that are in the way.
Old 30 September 2012, 04:31 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Just don't iron, I say. Buy non-iron clothes, and make your life easy.

I stopped ironing ages ago. I hate ironing on the ironing board with that tiddy, hand-held stupid triangle with passion. My most clothes are non-iron. Best way. Some of my female friends even iron on the ironing board their whole family's undies and bleddy nylon socks! Yikes. Imagine the residual smell (that the fabric may hold even after washing at 1600 spin) of urine, skidders or footie pong raising into the air while you iron those articles who no one give a damn whether they are ironed or not?? F that.

I have a stand-up steamer that I use to quickly iron stuff like shirts, trousers, summer tops and skirts etc. That is not too taxing as you can hang things on hangers and give them a blast. Easy.

Iron-shine gives the impression that your wife was angry with you, did your ironing half-heartedly and here you are, standing in the office, looking all shiney. You see, peole in the office don't know that you have to slave on your own clothes. They don't need to know, I understand. However, iron-shine is awful as it is, I know. Just get a little steamer, then you won't have to keep slaving on the board. That should help with the shine problem, as the hot metal doesn't come that close in touch with the clothing. it just kinda kisses your clothes, hisses at them, and gets rid of crinckles. Pretty cool stuff. You have to bend up and down for long clothing and use your neck a bit, but you can do that for a young man! Its not that bad at all.
Old 30 September 2012, 04:38 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us
What's ironing

I do like that ^.

May be your missus or mum does it for you, or she takes your family clothing to some professional ironer. I used to, but since she damaged some of my clothes by mistake, I don't bother with that.

To me, ironing is a waste of time. Fine for people with too much time in their hands. Most boring and braindead task; nothing creative about it.
Old 30 September 2012, 04:39 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

About grass, I have cut mine last weekend. No need now until March 2013 or so. Another bleddy boring task.
Old 30 September 2012, 04:44 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Just don't iron, I say. Buy non-iron clothes, and make your life easy.

I stopped ironing ages ago. I hate ironing on the ironing board with that tiddy, hand-held stupid triangle with passion. My most clothes are non-iron. Best way. Some of my female friends even iron on the ironing board their whole family's undies and bleddy nylon socks! Yikes. Imagine the residual smell (that the fabric may hold even after washing at 1600 spin) of urine, skidders or footie pong raising into the air while you iron those articles who no one give a damn whether they are ironed or not?? F that.

I have a stand-up steamer that I use to quickly iron stuff like shirts, trousers, summer tops and skirts etc. That is not too taxing as you can hang things on hangers and give them a blast. Easy.

Iron-shine gives the impression that your wife was angry with you, did your ironing half-heartedly and here you are, standing in the office, looking all shiney. You see, peole in the office don't know that you have to slave on your own clothes. They don't need to know, I understand. However, iron-shine is awful as it is, I know. Just get a little steamer, then you won't have to keep slaving on the board. That should help with the shine problem, as the hot metal doesn't come that close in touch with the clothing. it just kinda kisses your clothes, hisses at them, and gets rid of crinckles. Pretty cool stuff. You have to bend up and down for long clothing and use your neck a bit, but you can do that for a young man! Its not that bad at all.

Might be an idea if you need to clear a blocked nose...
Old 30 September 2012, 04:59 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYK

Might be an idea if you need to clear a blocked nose...
Haha, there is a facial sauna for inhaling Vicks. That clothes' steamer is not suitable for clearing blocked nose. It came with the warning that it should only be used for one purpose only. No kids to have a fun ride on it etc.; just like they warn with the sandblasters for floors. Mind you, one or two overly excited friends here tried to steam their clothes when they had them on their body. it shouldn't be done, really. It was unplugged but still hissing, so they made use of it on the clothes they were wearing. Idiotic, I know.
Old 30 September 2012, 07:27 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
When would you say it's the last time to cut the grass? I have just done it and am not expecting to do it again until Feb / March time

Also, for the scoobie females.. I iron clothes inside out but when I do the outter edge of trousers on the outside They go all shiney. How do I stop this?
Faye doesn't do this for you?
Old 30 September 2012, 07:31 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Faye doesn't do this for you?
Whilst wearing a g string and stockings
Old 30 September 2012, 07:44 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My over enthuastic Gardiner cuts my lawns 2/3 times a week

It's like a bowling green at the moment

Just need the big hedge cut now before winter

Ironing
No idea
That's the wife's dept
Old 30 September 2012, 10:06 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by lordharding
My over enthuastic Gardiner cuts my lawns 2/3 times a week

It's like a bowling green at the moment

Just need the big hedge cut now before winter

Ironing
No idea
That's the wife's dept

By the time my team of gardeners have cut my lawn, it's time for them to start cutting again. I guess they feel like the guys that paint the forth bridge....
Old 30 September 2012, 11:49 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Lawn? Goats and lamas deal with it? What, you don't have lamas? Or Alpacas?

Ironing? Why? My clothes get washed, hanged to dry, I wear. I work from home by the way. Ironing is for those losers who care about appearance in "the office". I prefer to be comfortable while I work. Pyjamas are good for this, unless it is cold, then a Selk is nice.
Old 30 September 2012, 11:53 PM
Lee_
Scooby Regular

Ironing trousers? Iron by putting a cloth inbetween the trousers and iron, its will stop the material being subjected to the direct heat of the iron and causing the material to become damaged.

I'm ex-military I'm supposed to know about ironing! (thats my excuse anyway).
Old 01 October 2012, 12:41 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Gardeners? Livestock?

I thought we were in a economic depression

Anyhoo, raise the cutting height a bit, aim for about 2" in grass length. Stop mowing when overnight temps start regularly dropping down to 5degrees and below. Also make a premptive attack with the mosskiller/feed, as the way the weather is the moss is going to be a b**tard this winter (my lawn is currently moss-free, I want to keep it that way).

Last edited by ALi-B; 01 October 2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01 October 2012, 12:45 AM
stevie2011
Scooby Regular

mummy !!!!!!!
Old 01 October 2012, 10:43 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us
Just sitting down with a cup of coffee having come in from cutting mine. Unless there is another dry snap then I don't expect to be able to cut it again this year.

What's ironing
Firstly, you should be sitting down with a beer, that you instructed your woman to bring to you.

Ironing - its something that women do
Old 01 October 2012, 11:36 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I bet all that grass will need to be cut again this year.

Les
Old 01 October 2012, 01:28 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

We have had standing water on the back lawn all weekend I need a hover mower and oilskins to avoid the resulting mess.
Old 01 October 2012, 01:34 PM
Fleetster
Scooby Regular

I cut my grass on Saturday and it better be the last time this year!!!!!
Cant answer the Q on ironing lol
Old 01 October 2012, 02:26 PM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

Our grass could do with cutting and hopefully it will the last until springtime, it's been too damp to cut it recently (that's my excuse anyway) as our petrol mover is broken and I'll have to use the flymo

I've heard of this ironing thing but never done it myself so can't help with that one, sorry.

windyboy
Old 02 October 2012, 12:11 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK

My..Er...Sister said, if you place a bit of material over the trousers and then iron it, it wont go shiny.... Something like a t shirt thick bit of material.
Old 02 October 2012, 01:17 AM
Lisawrx

Regarding ironing, I have to agree with Swati and IW, I think it is a boring task and I only do it when I absolutely have to, single figures during a working week, and even less when off.

As for cutting the lawn. I generally do it when it's dry enough that I think I won't rip the grass up. This year, it's been done a handful of times, and if the weather allows, I'll carry on to keep it as manageable as I can. I've never had a cut off date so to speak, but I'm not a fussy/experienced gardener.
Old 02 October 2012, 01:26 AM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Non iron clothes? Jesus, some people must be walking round looking like tramps! As for ironing `shine`, people have mentioned a cloth, but it should really be a damp one. Stops the shine and gives a better crease
Old 02 October 2012, 09:11 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Who puts creases in their clothes, I know of 2 people that did my grandad and grandma.
Old 02 October 2012, 04:50 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee_
Ironing trousers? Iron by putting a cloth inbetween the trousers and iron, its will stop the material being subjected to the direct heat of the iron and causing the material to become damaged.

I'm ex-military I'm supposed to know about ironing! (thats my excuse anyway).
Next weeks how to do everyday basic tasks for Robsy..

Week 1 Ironing.
week 2 how to polish boots and lace them.
Week 3 how to make your bed.
Week 4 sew on a button.

Old 02 October 2012, 06:48 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69
Non iron clothes? Jesus, some people must be walking round looking like tramps!
Why are you complaining to Jesus for, and rolling your eyes for?? Non iron clothing isn't that bad, you know. I saw a person who was wearing non iron, high in fashion Armani jeans that were made to look intentionally crinckly on his thigh joints. Every crinkle on his jeans had a fading mark. Jesus knows that he definitely didn't look like a tramp.

Quick Reply: Last cut of the year... & ironing lol