Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

how to become a car trader

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2012, 05:42 PM
daz_vx220
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to become a car trader

ive been buying selling cars for years now but have only done enough to allow me to sell private ie not trade, i now want to take it to the next level and become trade as the auto trader have limited private sellers to 4 a year which isnt enough for me.

Ive read loads of peoples ideas on this topic but need facts.
Im a firefighter so it would be my second income and want it to become all above board. Im aware about paying tax so thats not really the problem, some people say i have to give warranty and others say just sell sold as seen etc. If anyone could help me out it would be great as ive been wanting to do this for years.
Id be selling hopefully around 20 cars a year between £2000 and £5000 value cars.
Old 02 October 2012, 05:54 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sod that, make a fireman's calendar

Joking aside..... not a clue.
Old 02 October 2012, 06:04 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 497 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by daz_vx220
ive been buying selling cars for years now but have only done enough to allow me to sell private ie not trade, i now want to take it to the next level and become trade as the auto trader have limited private sellers to 4 a year which isnt enough for me.

Ive read loads of peoples ideas on this topic but need facts.
Im a firefighter so it would be my second income and want it to become all above board. Im aware about paying tax so thats not really the problem, some people say i have to give warranty and others say just sell sold as seen etc. If anyone could help me out it would be great as ive been wanting to do this for years.
Id be selling hopefully around 20 cars a year between £2000 and £5000 value cars.
this is something i looked into a while back,from memory you are not allowed to park 2 cars for sale on the same road within a certain distance from each other-its what i was told never found out if true or not,also you dont have to give warranty BUT it is an offence to sell a car with a known fault,plus be prepared for some comebacks as not everything goes to plan,ie you could sell a car that to your knowledge is fine but the cambelt could snap within a mile of the new owner taking it from you..............either stand your ground and (possibly) get a bad rep or try to come to an agreement over it,i know if it were me who bought a car and it went bang within a short journey i would go back and expect something in return or i would get violent,im not one for caring about getting in trouble so calling the police wouldnt bother me,there can be some nasty folk out there who would take revenge on you and your cars if you were not helpfull

dont mean to sound really negative mate just i think its something that needs to be thought about

also try and get mates with a tyre fitter/somebody who works at car user or something like that for discount on things-im sure you know the smaller overheads you have the more profit to be made,if you can service cars yourself that will help too

if you want i have all the paper work from different companies who quoted me a trader policy,i can give you their numbers if you like

also dont let it take over your life-you say your a firefighter so you probably wont have alot of time to valet/service cars maybe pay a skint family member/friend to do it for you

hope this helps matey
Old 02 October 2012, 06:42 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

With all respect, the above is bollocks.

If you sell a car, as a bonified trader and the Cambelt snaps within a mile of the new owner has it, you are liable! Legally.

Look at sales of goods act for an idea of what you are legally obliged to do. That's a start.
Old 02 October 2012, 07:22 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 185 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Boro

If you sell a car, as a bonified trader and the Cambelt snaps within a mile of the new owner has it, you are liable! Legally.

Look at sales of goods act for an idea of what you are legally obliged to do. That's a start.

Didn;t the post above you say something along the lines of the seller being liable ?
Old 02 October 2012, 07:52 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 497 Likes on 339 Posts

so whats the timeline/mileage that is ok for something to go wrong without the seller being liable?
Old 02 October 2012, 07:58 PM
Wild Thing
Scooby Regular

Well you will need traders insurance, public liability, etc to cover your ***, you should have trade plates for which you will be vetted by DVLA or local police, you need a dealer code also from dvla, just a few pointers to start with
Old 02 October 2012, 08:01 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seller has the burden of proof in the first 6 months that the fault reported was not there at sale........... ie fit for purpose.

OP: where do you find the time to become a car trader with a full time firefighter job?

Shaun
Old 02 October 2012, 08:06 PM
Wild Thing
Scooby Regular

Not strictly true. If a car is sold as a "trade sale" without warranty for repair to road worthy condition this is the exception. Customer also in theory needs to be a motor trader
Old 03 October 2012, 09:30 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
OP: where do you find the time to become a car trader with a full time firefighter job?
Thats what I was wondering too
Old 03 October 2012, 09:51 AM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
Thats what I was wondering too
You are joking are you not?
My brother is a so called "full time" firefighter, 2 days on, 2 nights on, then 6 off!
Plenty of time to do pretty much anything.
Old 03 October 2012, 10:04 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I dont know a single fireman that doesn't have a second job.
Old 03 October 2012, 10:05 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Seller has the burden of proof in the first 6 months that the fault reported was not there at sale........... ie fit for purpose.

Shaun
This.

As a trader you are licensed under sale of goods act and it applies six months from sale. So no, you don;t have to give a warranty but the car needs to be in good nick.

Also ignore the trade sale stuff/sold as seen. Also ***** as it is illegal to get someone to sign away their statutory rights. If you tried pulling that stunt Trading Standards would be all over you.

Keep it clean with decent motors and you should be fine.

5t.
Old 03 October 2012, 10:52 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by steve ex vauxhall
You are joking are you not?
My brother is a so called "full time" firefighter, 2 days on, 2 nights on, then 6 off!
Plenty of time to do pretty much anything.
No, not joking.

I naively thought full time meant working every weekday.
Old 03 October 2012, 11:49 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

You just have to learn the lingo as per Carcoat Damphands

- On a brighter tony, I know I can always get good gristle for a well spliced Screamer. My point was proved only last Wogan when a moist faced Gary came onto my guido, started rizzling the rubbings on a lovely Tree soap I’d got out front. It was the Twenty Past diseased model with shiny suit, clean shoes and full skin. I’d got it up for nine Williams but straight off the Gary’s gone in for a kettle of geese under four stools. Not as moist as I thought, I said to myself, and bummed his face for another fat mansell. Ended up meeting the stevens halfway up the curtains. Honestly Helen, it’s put me off the Peak District forever. Minty.
Old 03 October 2012, 09:48 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wild Thing
Not strictly true. If a car is sold as a "trade sale" without warranty for repair to road worthy condition this is the exception. Customer also in theory needs to be a motor trader
I'm guessing he isn't going to be trading cars between traders and selling to the general public, therefor the above IS strictly true.

You can't just add "trade sale" or "sold for spares or repair" to every sale.

Trading standards will check the sale price and if it's agreed that price is above a certain value, ie, trade price or the value of a scrap car then you'll be liable for any repairs.

You can't get around your legal obligation, look at the sales of goods act. It changed a few years back and is now even more in favour of the buyer.