Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Machynlleth missing Girl

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2012, 10:32 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Machynlleth missing Girl

Did they just arrest the 'local paedo' then?
They seemed to be looking for him pretty much straight away....

Really, really hope she is found..... although I have my doubts
Old 03 October 2012, 10:41 AM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really do hope she is found I cannot imagine what the parents are going through, another bad thing is there will be another generation of kids never allowed to play out every again!

I feel lucky that I live in a cul -de-sac and our kids play out most nights, anyone coming in or out of the close gets the window twitch treatment!
Old 03 October 2012, 10:43 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

A sickening story. These is always hope to cling onto.

Left hand drive Landie - can't be too many of those around.

dl
Old 03 October 2012, 11:03 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe inappropriate, but who the **** lets a 5 year old out of sight.
Old 03 October 2012, 11:10 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

My thought too. This might sound harsh but often it seems like the parents caught up in cases like this are themselves sub-standard. I'm not saying it's their fault, but i'm also saying their level of care might be wanting sometimes.
Old 03 October 2012, 11:25 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TelBoy
My thought too. This might sound harsh but often it seems like the parents caught up in cases like this are themselves sub-standard. I'm not saying it's their fault, but i'm also saying their level of care might be wanting sometimes.
+1

Very sad situation and I hope and as the OP says they knew they had a local paedo and then went straight for him, did one of the children explain it was a left hooker landie, it's not something I'd expect a small child to pick up on.

What if it isn't him ?

I just hope against hope she turns up safe and well, I couldn't imagine what the parents are going through right now.
Old 03 October 2012, 11:28 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Yeah, when I initially heard it, 5 yrs old, playing outside, taken at 19:30, I thought, at that age, they should be getting ready for bed, not playing outside in the dark, unattended!

Still, terrible thing to happen and just because you aren't as responsible as some may be doesn't mean you deserve to have your child taken from you. Very sad indeed.

Geezer
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
Maybe inappropriate, but who the **** lets a 5 year old out of sight.
Now I was very protective of my kids at that age but I think if I lived in a quiet out-of-the-way village I would let them out to play with friends close by.

But you have no chance if some b,astard who know the family asks her to pop into his motor.

dl

Last edited by David Lock; 03 October 2012 at 11:30 AM.
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

+2
Old 03 October 2012, 11:32 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
+1

Very sad situation and I hope and as the OP says they knew they had a local paedo and then went straight for him, did one of the children explain it was a left hooker landie, it's not something I'd expect a small child to pick up on.

What if it isn't him ?

I just hope against hope she turns up safe and well, I couldn't imagine what the parents are going through right now.
Re the LHD. The other kids said she went into the "van" on the driver's side so police figured it could be a LHD vehicle. I must say I thought this was very unlikely at the time. dl
Old 03 October 2012, 11:36 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

In fairness Machynlleth is a pretty small place in remote rural wales..... its not like it was inner city somewhere....

Population of Machynlleth was 2,147 at last census!
Old 03 October 2012, 11:37 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Now I was very protective of my kids at that age but I think if I lived in a quiet out-of-the-way village I would let them out to play with friends close by.

But you have no chance if some b,astard who know the family asks her to pop into his motor.

dl
Sure, I appreciate that

But out in the dark at 5 years old?
Old 03 October 2012, 11:37 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The longer this goes on, the more worrying it becomes. If it is him, even if he was just keeping her captive somewhere, you would assume she now has no way of getting food or water.

Hopefully with all the efforts the police are putting into finding her, she'll show up soon safe and well.
Old 03 October 2012, 11:39 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

And if it is infact a landrover - how would a 5 year old climb into that?
They'd need to be lifted in
Old 03 October 2012, 11:43 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It must be a complete nightmare for his parents, I cant even begin to imagine how they feel.

On the other side of it, my misses looked away from my 3 year old as she was putting him in the car yesterday and I went crazy. There is no way a 5 year old should be out of the sight of an adult (not the pedo) at any time, other than locked in a safe secure environment, like School.

5 year olds still pick up dangerous objects, or risk falling, etc .. might be me being protective.
Old 03 October 2012, 11:58 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
Sure, I appreciate that

But out in the dark at 5 years old?
I agree. Just getting dusk then, so time for her to be at home. My more general thought is that kids, even 5 year olds, must be allowed out to play with their pals. Abduction is, thank goodness, a very rare event.

It's the main reason I moved out of London when my kids were young as I didn't want them growing up in a place where I couldn't trust them to go to the local shop 50 yards away or let them play on the common. Or cycle down the road when they were older. Not to mention drugs, rough schools and dog s,hit everywhere

dl
Old 03 October 2012, 12:09 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

5 year old out in the dark/dusk seems a tad young to me though David. Our son is 11 and we still try to keep him in sight when he's outside even though I know that pedo's aren't hiding in every dark corner ...

TX.
Old 03 October 2012, 12:46 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
5 year old out in the dark/dusk seems a tad young to me though David. Our son is 11 and we still try to keep him in sight when he's outside even though I know that pedo's aren't hiding in every dark corner ...

TX.
Yes you are right.

Sadly there is such a difference from when I grew up to today. It's changed to an over protective environment which is not all bad of course but a shame it has to be like this. Getting the balance right is difficult for responsible parents. Think Maddie.

dl
Old 03 October 2012, 12:52 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

We do complain on these pages about kids not being allowed to grow as we did .... not allowed freedom to develop.

That said, a 5 year old still out in the dark? That would worry me ... but, a small village, she was with friends, I can understand her parents desire to allow her the freedom to grow as a child should.

As a parent, I feel for the parents ... I really do, they must be going through hell.

I'm always staggered by how many child attacks are carried out by people who know the child, it is very rare that it is a stranger.

I hope that she turns up unharmed .....
Old 03 October 2012, 12:56 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Well, I really hope it was him that's done this, otherwise...........

His life will be hell. They were looking for a light Blue van. He has a Blue Land Rover. They arrested him walking, while his car was in the body shop.

Just like that landlord that was accused of Murdering that woman. His life was made hell, and had to move away because of death threats. Obviously the stupid think "No smoke without fire".

They shouldn't release names and Photo's without evidence to charge first, as if Innocent, he can't go home.
Old 03 October 2012, 01:25 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Well, I really hope it was him that's done this, otherwise...........

His life will be hell. They were looking for a light Blue van. He has a Blue Land Rover. They arrested him walking, while his car was in the body shop.

Just like that landlord that was accused of Murdering that woman. His life was made hell, and had to move away because of death threats. Obviously the stupid think "No smoke without fire".

They shouldn't release names and Photo's without evidence to charge first, as if Innocent, he can't go home.
I assume the police know something we don't. IIRC his Land Rover was put into the repair shop, which makes you think why was it "damaged" and the impression I got that the garage were the one's that called the police and he was picked up walking away. Maybe forensics have found more than his DNA inside the car, which would leave you to believe he is more than just a suspect (The passenger seat seemed to have something on it in the police picture).
Also they now want only professionals searching, could that mean they don't want a volunteer finding something and contaminating an area?.
Horrible horrible situation, I pray it turns out for the best.
My 6 (almost 7) year old boy plays out most nights, our street is a dead end but we seem to be the only parents that ever check on any of them that play outside.
Old 03 October 2012, 01:33 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

i would'nt let my children play outside in the street at any time of day or night unattended, regardless of child snatchers etc there is traffic and other things.

5 is way to young to be out without an adult, anytime anywhere

Last edited by tubbytommy; 03 October 2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03 October 2012, 01:37 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
i would let my children play outside in the street at any time day or night unattended, regardless of child snatchers etc there is traffic and other things.

5 is way to young to be out without an adult, anytime anywhere

I assume you mean the opposite i.e. wouldn't
Old 03 October 2012, 01:55 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I was thinking how crazy they were letting her out at that age unattended. I assumed they were out the front of the house, on the news this morning they showed a map of her house and where she was picked up.. it was quite a distance away!

There's a kid in my street who's literally a toddler and his parents leave him to wander the street. He only ever stays in our road and sometimes he's accompanied by a 4 yr old! Quite often you turn into the road and he's toddling about in the middle! I really do wonder what goes on in some people's heads.
Old 03 October 2012, 01:58 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

I assume you mean the opposite i.e. wouldn't
yes ooopps

now editted
Old 03 October 2012, 02:04 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

I think a few of the above posters need to go and have a chat with their folks! I was a child of the 70's brought up on a normal estate where there was probably more kiddie fiddlers about then than there is now because people wouldn't talk about it or brush it under the carpet.... "Don't be silly love" etc

We were allowed to play out at 5!

I remember running home with a big ribena smile many an evening or riding my striker as fast as I could to get home on time!

I really feel sorry for other peoples kids that are cocooned in their houses until they are 15-16 then hit the streets as unsociable inverted individuals that find it hard to communicate properly and are frightened of society!

Obviously educate your kids well about the dangers but for gods sake don't keep them prisoners due to a what if!!

Last edited by specialx; 03 October 2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03 October 2012, 02:08 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by specialx
I think a few of the above posters need to go and have a chat with their folks! I was a child of the 70's brought up on a normal estate where there was probably more kiddie fiddlers about then than there is now because people wouldn't talk about it or brush it under the carpet.... "Don't be silly love" etc

We were allowed to play out at 5!

I remember running home with a big ribena smile many an evening or riding my striker as fast as I could to get home on time!

I really feel sorry for other peoples kids that are cocooned in their houses until they are 15-16 then hit the streets as unsociable inverted individuals that find it hard to communicate properly and are frightened of society!

Obviously educate your kids well about the dangers but for gods sake don't keep them prisoners due to a what if!!
tell that to the parents of the little girl in question, if she comes home safe do you think they will let her wander around in the dark on her own again??

they may be ok, they may not but id rather not take the risk.

5 year olds should not be out in the dark on their own, no question,its not just kiddy fiddlers its traffic and other things too, at 5 they have not enough road sense etc to be safe.

Last edited by tubbytommy; 03 October 2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03 October 2012, 02:42 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
tell that to the parents of the little girl in question, if she comes home safe do you think they will let her wander around in the dark on her own again??

they may be ok, they may not but id rather not take the risk.

5 year olds should not be out in the dark on their own, no question,its not just kiddy fiddlers its traffic and other things too, at 5 they have not enough road sense etc to be safe.
Why would I tell that to the parents?
It has nothing to do with parenting full stop! The kid would of been snatched no matter what the time was, peodo's don't just come out at night do they???

It was just getting dark and the kids were playing on the field not the road I'm not advocating let your 5 year olds play out miles from home in the dark at all but they need to be able to play with peers and not have mum or dad sat on their shoulders all the time.

Like I said ask your folks and I think you will be surprised at the ages we were allowed to do stuff, we built large ramps outside the house for our bikes and never ever wore a helmet! made fire's in the woods and cooked beans and potatoes on em! You know kids stuff!
Old 03 October 2012, 02:44 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

SpecialX are you a parent?
Old 03 October 2012, 03:01 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

SpecialX are you a parent?

Certainly am I have 2 lovely Boys 3 & 8 who both play out in our cul-de-sac most nights until it gets dark just like I did!

Quick Reply: Machynlleth missing Girl