Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

So has anyone actually received a 5 year sentence for carrying a knife?

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2012, 08:17 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So has anyone actually received a 5 year sentence for carrying a knife?

So I was in the pub with some friends and the conversation came up about the girl who was abducted, and then it turned into a debate about the state of society and punishment.

A point was made that the law is actually quite strict and that people can have a 5 year sentence for carrying a knife. The question is, has anyone actually received this.

Does anyone know the answer, or how to find out? I've been Googling it and just cannot get the info. There were a couple of quite strong opinions on this one, and getting the answer could just put a few minds to rest.
Old 03 October 2012, 08:26 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find this law to be a bit of an ***, to be honest.

I go sea fishing and carry a knife ...... it concerns me that I could get entangled in some knee-jerk law like this!
Old 03 October 2012, 08:31 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by pslewis
I go sea fishing and carry a knife ...... it concerns me that I could get entangled in some knee-jerk law like this!
Five years of peace and quiet, we can all live in hope Pete
Old 03 October 2012, 08:39 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I will have a laptop in prison ..... and fast broadband .......
Old 03 October 2012, 08:47 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Friends of mines brother was caught with a knife in his car door, he was tagged for a few months.
Old 03 October 2012, 08:48 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Depends on the size of the knife
Old 03 October 2012, 09:06 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

If its a foldable knife and blade is under 3" in length and non locking then its perfectly legal. Such as a normal 91mm swiss army knife. Still would not carry on in a place like a school.
If have an valid reason for carrying a fixed blade such as Pete's fishing then should be ok as long as not been stupid with it and dont have a total **** / jobsworth of a police person.

Richard
Old 03 October 2012, 09:19 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

So long as you can prove good reason for having the knife then there should not be a problem. The burden of proof is upon you though and the police will just arrest you anyway if you have a non legal knife in your possession.You will then have to provide the proof of legal carry when it goes to court.

Obviously this works for the police as it means that they are able to artificialy improve their statistics for successful arrest/crime figures. All this does is prosecute people who have a legitimate reason for having and carrying a knife, whilst the scumbags will continue to carry and use weapons of any kind.
Old 03 October 2012, 09:44 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I see the positive and negative for both sides of the law. However, the main reason for the debate was that most of the laws and rules we have are not enforced. The prime example being when someone gets a 5 year sentence, but we all know they are out in 2-3 on good behaviour.

Hence the question, has anyone ever gone to prison for 5 years just for possessing a knife.
Old 03 October 2012, 10:12 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

Very rare that maximum sentences are ever given, just too many variables, 1st offence, mitigating circumstances, previous convictions, plea bargaining etc etc.
Old 03 October 2012, 11:20 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Not sure the word "knife" is included in the law...........isn't it a bladed weapon, blade, or pointed object ?

Shaun
Old 03 October 2012, 11:40 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Not sure the word "knife" is included in the law...........isn't it a bladed weapon, blade, or pointed object ?

Shaun
Bladed article. Stops people claiming it's not a weapon.
Old 04 October 2012, 12:13 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Luminous
So I was in the pub with some friends and the conversation came up about the girl who was abducted, and then it turned into a debate about the state of society and punishment.

A point was made that the law is actually quite strict and that people can have a 5 year sentence for carrying a knife. The question is, has anyone actually received this.

Does anyone know the answer, or how to find out? I've been Googling it and just cannot get the info. There were a couple of quite strong opinions on this one, and getting the answer could just put a few minds to rest.
The answer is that whoever made that point is an ill-informed moron. Max sentence for carrying an offensive weapon (non-firearm) is in fact 4 years, and that's only with a previous record and aggravating circumstances.

Of course, I wouldn't expect anyone just to take my word for it, so please do read it for yourself:
Offensive Weapons, knives, bladed and pointed articles: Legal Guidance: The Crown Prosecution Service
Old 04 October 2012, 07:03 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

It was a machete .. (for display / blunted) he was a doorman and said it was for protection .. (had some interesting people looking for him apparently) personally .. silly man
Old 04 October 2012, 08:59 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
It was a machete .. (for display / blunted) he was a doorman and said it was for protection .. (had some interesting people looking for him apparently) personally .. silly man
If he said it was for his own protection - then he has just coughed to it being a weapon of offence

There are a number of offences to consider with someone carrying or wafting a knife about - offensive weapon, carrying a bladed item, affray etc

And to date, despite the current government saying that all knife crime will have a mandatory jail sentence - I've not seen anyone being sent down