Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Too fat to fly ?

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2012, 04:40 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Too fat to fly ?

Just got back off a flight from Atlanta, I was seated next to a slim American guy, im not skinny (especially after two weeks over there) but not exactly massive by any stretch, anyway, thought the two seats in front were going to be free and I was going to move and have a double seat, anyway these two enormous people hove into view and plonk themselves in the seats in front.

He was big, probably 25 stone, and she was bigger, she was touvhing both sides as she walked down the aisle, sat down and started eating and drinking before we even took off, ok they may have been hungry but it just looked like they never stopped, he was reclining the seat without actually hitting the button, his weight was overwhelming the mechanism, to be fair it may have been a fault and the planes are due a refurb but it was obvious his bulk wasnt helping.

Her "Saddlebags" were spilling onto the armrest and covering it (cant have been comfortable) and the seat made cracking/creaking noises when she had to get up and I made a point of sitting back when this was going on, it really didnt sound good, he went to the loo and she didnt sit back down as it was obviously such a massive effort to get up and down, still they kept munching, she couldnt use the tray table as her collosal gut was in the way, she had to have a seatbelt extension to go round her.

Surely there must be a point where it is not safe or practical to carry such big people, in the event of an emergency it is pretty difficult to get out of an aircraft, if you can barely manage it when its upright, free of smoke and there is no panic, what chance do you have when there is an emergency ? she would litterally fall over and block people from getting out, was sure them both being on the same side of the plane was a great idea.

They seemed a nice couple and I feel mean but really I think they were too fat to go in Economy and needed to be in Business where there is a lot more room.
Old 04 October 2012, 04:53 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Interesting angle, the health and safety of it. What winds me up is that I'm a relatively small guy, weigh about 65kg, yet if you combine my and my luggage weight, it's still a lot lower than the body weight alone of these people.

I mean, taking it to the extremes what if a plane was 100% full of morbidly obese people and their luggage? Surely that's a recipe for disaster, and would have to be limits in place to stop this happening, but are there?

Back on topic, it would make sense for the morbidly obese to be in seats located near the exits.
Old 04 October 2012, 05:19 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Iv always fancied slugging one these types with a drawing pin see if they might deflate comic book stylee.

Probably wouldn't even feel it
Old 04 October 2012, 05:40 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I reckon if you can't fit into one seat you should have to pay for 2, instead of encroaching on the poor sod next to you.
Old 04 October 2012, 05:46 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Can these people not travel as hold luggage
Old 04 October 2012, 05:51 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J4CKO

They seemed a nice couple and I feel mean but really I think they were too fat to go in Economy and needed to be in Business where there is a lot more room.
No way Jose' If I ever manage to blag a business flight upgrade, or save up the pennies required, I don't want to be staring at fatties and having to contend with them helping themselves to my caviar and causing local turbulence whenever they get up to have a pee!

Hard to get past the saddlebags imagery if I'm honest!
Old 04 October 2012, 05:53 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Push them out first and jump on them, save the emergency slides for the next crash

Trending Topics

Old 04 October 2012, 05:54 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
No way Jose' If I ever manage to blag a business flight upgrade, or save up the pennies required, I don't want to be staring at fatties and having to contend with them helping themselves to my caviar and causing local turbulence whenever they get up to have a pee!

Hard to get past the saddlebags imagery if I'm honest!

Have you looked in the mirror lately tubby

Old 04 October 2012, 05:56 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by kingofturds

It's not fat, it's hormones!!!!

And I'm big boned!

And love cake!!
Old 04 October 2012, 06:01 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Surely having two hugely fat people in front of you can only be a good thing in the event of an accident as you will have more cushioning while your moving forward
Old 04 October 2012, 06:59 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Nasa came up with a solution years ago, maybe this could be used ?

In all seriousness it must be really hard for them, I dont find economy exactly comfortable being six foot and of normal width, for really big people, i.e. height or like the two fatties it must be purgatorial, her flesh was being cut into via the armrests.

Always pees me off, I get to sit there with **** all room and the bulkhead rows generally always has some 8 stone, 5 ft nothing girl swaddled in blankets, eye masks and blow up neck pillows and slippers, a "Comfort Princess" as I beleive they are know in the airline industry
Old 04 October 2012, 07:16 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

That is one HUGE bloke. Its not just fat, he is just enormous!!!

He'd never get out of any sports car he fitting into.
Old 04 October 2012, 07:40 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

There was a case a few years ago where a passenger sued the airline because the person sitting next to her was so fat she spilled over the seat. The woman couldn't sit 'straight' and ended up with nerve damage.

I run a craft club and one of my ladies has just informed me she can't attend any more because getting in and out of the car, and then trying to get on and off her seat at the club, is too painful and awkward. Purely due to her size, she is huge.
Old 04 October 2012, 09:03 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

It's not their own faults they have ended up so fat, you see society has failed them!

Old 04 October 2012, 11:06 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

This year I went on holiday and was on a plane. Now I am small and slim, about 5'10 and weigh 10 stone. The flight was at 2am in the morning so obviously I wanted sleep, and I also had to drive for 3 hours once landed to get back home.

I went to recline my chair back as soon as the safety seatbelt lights went off, and some chap sitting behind me tapped me on the shoulder telling me that his wife was sitting directly behind me and that she is a large girl and is 6'4, and he asked if it would be possible for me to put my chair forward. I said to him "would it be possible to go half way?" and he repeated what he said, this time in a more firm voice so I put my seat back forward to the straight position and made do.

I still think about it, but was I entitled to put my chair back and sleep more comfortably, or would that be unreasonable due to his partners size?

Last edited by LSherratt; 04 October 2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05 October 2012, 12:06 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by LSherratt
This year I went on holiday and was on a plane. Now I am small and slim, about 5'10 and weigh 10 stone. The flight was at 2am in the morning so obviously I wanted sleep, and I also had to drive for 3 hours once landed to get back home.

I went to recline my chair back as soon as the safety seatbelt lights went off, and some chap sitting behind me tapped me on the shoulder telling me that his wife was sitting directly behind me and that she is a large girl and is 6'4, and he asked if it would be possible for me to put my chair forward. I said to him "would it be possible to go half way?" and he repeated what he said, this time in a more firm voice so I put my seat back forward to the straight position and made do.

I still think about it, but was I entitled to put my chair back and sleep more comfortably, or would that be unreasonable due to his partners size?
Could he not have swapped seats with her, if he was smaller? That way, it's no issue.

I think you are entitled to recline your seat for your comfort, but like everything, it's about being considerate at the same time. If she was just tall, it could be uncomfortable if the person in front reclined fully and space is quite limited. Personally, I think surely some compromise could've been reached so neither you nor them were completely unhappy or uncomfortable.
Old 05 October 2012, 12:08 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Must of been tubby tommy lol
Old 05 October 2012, 12:56 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I reckon if you can't fit into one seat you should have to pay for 2, instead of encroaching on the poor sod next to you.
Southwest Airlines has a policy, have a read here.

From there, is what they define as basically a fan **** who needs to pay more to fly because you're a fat ****:

The armrest is the definitive gauge for a Customer of size. It serves as the boundary between seats, which measure 17 inches wide. Customers who are unable to lower both armrests and/or who encroach upon any portion of the adjacent seat should proactively book the number of seats needed prior to travel.

There are, I feel, very few people whose morbidly obese status is due to a genuine health issue, most of them are simply fat because they eat far too much unhealthy food, far too frequently. They are also extremely lazy.
Old 05 October 2012, 05:36 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Must of been tubby tommy lol

The plane would never take off with him on board.
Old 05 October 2012, 09:17 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

I personally think your half-way suggestion was the most appropriate, it acknowledged her difficulty while maintaining your right to recline the chair. If she had a genuine physical need to more space then she should have taken that up with the airline.

Consideration seems to go out of the window for many people when they step onto planes.

I was recently on a nightflight and the whole cabin was pitch black as everyone was watching their tv or asleep.... EXCEPT for two a-holes in the row in front of me who decided it was the perfect time to do some reading and had their lights on for about 3 hours, making sleep impossible.

Now they have the right to have their light on of course, it's just pretty inconsiderate (especially when the airline does not provide eye mask thingys).

That and people in the row behind who cannot physically stand up unless they use the seats in front to lift their f&t carcasses of the chair, disrupting the people in the seats in front.

God how I hate flying.
Old 05 October 2012, 09:57 AM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

deffo H&S issue, what if something were to go wrong with the plane, those fat fvckers will be blocking the exit.
Old 05 October 2012, 09:58 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat
That and people in the row behind who cannot physically stand up unless they use the seats in front to lift their f&t carcasses of the chair, disrupting the people in the seats in front.
This one really winds me up.
Old 05 October 2012, 10:03 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Carlh
deffo H&S issue, what if something were to go wrong with the plane, those fat fvckers will be blocking the exit.
As long as you're located behind them its fine - as they'll act like two feckoff blubber/air bags with the outcome of cushioning any impact
Old 05 October 2012, 10:47 AM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Im 6'5'' and the mrs is 6'0'' .... Both of us are skinny, but flying is a ballache as theres never enough leg room in cattle class!

You end up straddling the seat in front (knees jammed into the spikey metal bit between seats) and if someone in front reclines it becomes pretty bloody uncomfortable! The mrs particularly suffers with bad backs for weeks after an uncomfortable flight, which is an **** when your only abroad for a week or so.

That said, we always respect the fact the person in front has the right to recline and try our best to accomodate by switching seats or chatting with the person to see if theres owt we can do etc! If that doesnt work and theyre obviously just a selfish ****, i jam the recline function in front of the mrs with my knee. It hurts a bit, but they stop trying to recline after a few minutes. We used to get to the airport an hour or so early to be at the front of the queue to request a bulkhead seat to avoid this, which used to be fine! But for the last year or so we've always been told the bulkhead seats are reserved for families with small children ..... why the **** do small children need alot of leg room?

As for fattys .... fattys that are fat through theyre own doing (like in the ops post, if theyre constantly eating its obviously theyre own doing), how can it not be obvious when you cant see your feet anymore you should lay off the fookin cake!

People who have a genuine health issue (like the fella in the last photo .... hes got to have giganticism or something) deserve alot more tolerance than the typical pie eater.
Old 05 October 2012, 10:57 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Good responses on this thread. Well anyway, after being on the plane for 2 hours, I noticed them get up to go to the toilet, so I took the opportunity to recline my seat all the way back, plus the cheeky sods had theirs back despite telling me I couldn't have mine back! Once they returned, I felt a thud on the back of my seat and nothing more was said.
Old 05 October 2012, 11:07 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I would have called over the flight attendant, explained the situation and asked if there was any possibility to be moved to another seat.

I'm 6ft 4in, and don't have too much of a problem with the seat in front reclining, never had to ask for them not to. If she's a large girl and six four then I'm imagining a bit of a beast, perhaps it should have been in the cargo hold (pressurized portion of course)
Old 05 October 2012, 11:51 AM
SkullFudge
Scooby Regular

My mother was a nurse for 40 years. She told me people would be shocked if they realised how many people cant wipe their own ar5e5 because large people reach a certain size which makes it impossible to reach the turd tunnel area.

Can you imagine having a dump then opening bathroom door and shout to the wife "FINISHED".

How embarrassing would that be !!
Old 05 October 2012, 11:55 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by SkullFudge

Can you imagine having a dump then opening bathroom door and shout to the wife "FINISHED".

How embarrassing would that be !!
Some skinny men do that ..... they also say things like...

"I'd give that a few minutes if I were you!"
Old 05 October 2012, 12:07 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

This winds me up too. If you are too fat buy 2 seats or travel business.

Its time airlines gave an overall weight allowance to include you and luggage. People who are lighter can take more and fatties can take a t-shirt and shorts.

And also agree on people using your seat to get up - grrrrr.

Cor I'm getting Victor Meldrew with the advancing years! Maybe its the lack of common courtesy most people exhibit these days.
Old 05 October 2012, 12:28 PM
New_scooby_04

"The armrest is the definitive gauge for a Customer of size. It serves as the boundary between seats, which measure 17 inches wide. Customers who are unable to lower both armrests and/or who encroach upon any portion of the adjacent seat should proactively book the number of seats needed prior to travel."

Good on SW Airlines! Can't really argue with that!

Quick Reply: Too fat to fly ?