Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

CCTV equipment?

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2012, 08:42 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CCTV equipment?

Yesterday i found some thieving pikey had broken into the shed in my back garden and had it away with my mountain bike

Anyway, I now want to put up a camera outside just to try and keep my eye on what may or may not be going on.

So, can anyone recommend a reasonable camera/system for home use?

One camera would probably do for where it's going but if there is a kit that comes with a few then that would be ok. I would like one that works ok at night and would like an IP based system so I can view it from the network in the house or even remote.

If it comes with something to record too that would be good, although I do have a small server which could be used for recording but that would mean I would have to leave it running 24/7 which it doesn't do at the moment.

Any advice/recommendations appreciated.
Old 04 October 2012, 09:05 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

Can't go wrong with these guys http://www.cctv42.co.uk/, but it depends how much you want to spend, good quality hi resolution equipment isn't cheap.
Old 04 October 2012, 09:09 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

My honest opinion , its a waste of money. Either you get a cheap system and you see a blurry thief in your garden , or you get an expensive system and you get a clear image of a thief . Spend the money on securing the shed , and put up a dummy camera if needs be.

I have 2 padlocked bolts (fixed from inside) on my shed door and a metal bar bolted accross the window which is tinted with reflective tint.
Old 04 October 2012, 09:23 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
My honest opinion , its a waste of money. Either you get a cheap system and you see a blurry thief in your garden , or you get an expensive system and you get a clear image of a thief . Spend the money on securing the shed , and put up a dummy camera if needs be.

I have 2 padlocked bolts (fixed from inside) on my shed door and a metal bar bolted accross the window which is tinted with reflective tint.
I know what you mean with regards to a camera actually being any real use, I'm kinda in two minds really.

I had a big sliding bolt and pad lock on the shed and bolted from the in side but they just ripped the lot through the panel. As the copper said, you can put half a dozen bolts and locks on it but if someone wants to get in they will, and will probably cause more damage doing so.

Going to get a shed alarm and security light sorted too plus a rather large bar across the inside of the back gate.

Last edited by stiscooby; 04 October 2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04 October 2012, 10:17 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

Better still get a large dog.
Old 05 October 2012, 07:33 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Thats the police attitude. If you had cctv of it they will either say we cant tell who that is , or he is already known to us , but we cant touch him. Heard it all before.
Old 07 October 2012, 03:33 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Sheds are very difficult to secure - best bet would be a big lump of concrete underneath with an anchor point, then run bike locks through that

Trending Topics

Old 07 October 2012, 06:27 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alistair
Sheds are very difficult to secure - best bet would be a big lump of concrete underneath with an anchor point, then run bike locks through that

Yep, me old man has made up some rather large Steel plates with some anchor points welded on. One plate will go under the shed (it's rather tricky to get it under there and might even have to jack it up a bit to fit it) Then the top plate will be bolted through from inside the shed and lock the bikes to these.

Plus the metal bar behind the back gate (padlocked), two locks on the shed and security lights (possibly CCTV camera too) should hopefully keep the ******* at bay should they decide to have another go!
Old 07 October 2012, 08:46 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alistair
A baby monitor or a long range "remote" door bell might be worth trying. Along with strengthening shed security.

Coachbolts though any hinges or hasps/staples and a reasonable padlock.
Old 07 October 2012, 08:59 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
Thats the police attitude. If you had cctv of it they will either say we cant tell who that is , or he is already known to us , but we cant touch him. Heard it all before.
snap.....having the thieving toerags bang to rights on cam doesnt make the police raise any interest
Old 08 October 2012, 01:34 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

I like to consider myself a bit of a guru in this dept, its my favorite subject.

I bought a new shed, mines the overlaid though instead of shiplap panels,

Its boarded out on the inside with marine 8x4 ply i got a few free sheets from the refurbishment of some old council houses. the floor is done and the ends.

plus old bits of spare wood are also screwed into the corners, along with various brackets to make it stronger.

the roof is bolted on, the windows have mesh screwed behind them with net curtain as well. and one of them the mesh is cut so the spikes are all along it (to obtain DNA)!

The three hasp and staples are all bolted and not screwed on and are bolted through to additional panels on the inside (bits of pallet are ok for this.

Make sure the door is facing the house, and ive screwed some old number plates on the inside so that if they are open at night they are reflective.

there is a camera on the house wall as well.

the only weak spot is that if you were inclined you could just pull the wood off the side, but the car is right up against this at night.
its in a corner as well so two sides are impossible to get at.

ive not got anything particularly valuable, two old retro-bikes and a mower etc but its the principal of working bloody hard to get something for some else to take that really narks me, so i thought id go to town on the security of it.

ps. rather than get a floor anchor, im going to get a cheap hasp and staple and screw it to the floor then put the hasp over it so the screws are hidden, then put my bike lock through it the bikes and mower.

its quite easy to make secure if you just take a step back and look at it through evil eyes.

hope this helps you all in the future, any other tips anyone??????
Old 09 October 2012, 01:10 AM
badcompany
Scooby Regular

Dexter in the making LOL