Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Question on physics...Think it's pretty basic

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2012, 12:09 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on physics...Think it's pretty basic

OK, just trying to work something out.....

Imagine a pole bolted to the ground. You then pull on this pole, lets say half way up, towards you.

If you applied enough strength to pull it towards you and therefore ripping the bolts from the ground, would the force at the base of the pole be considered torque? If you watch face on it would look as though the base is rotating.

If so, how would you calculate how much force is required to pull it from the ground. Obviously it would depend on bolts used and height of where force is applied, but i'm pretty sure all of the formulas could be done step by step (t=rxF or LxF = WxX etc)

(long story short, just pondering building a dance pole for a mate who does pole dance as a fitness thing. And no, you can't have any pictures! )
Old 05 October 2012, 12:12 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18

Imagine a pole bolted to the ground. You then pull on this pole, lets say half way up, towards you.

If you applied enough strength to pull it towards you and therefore ripping the bolts from the ground, would the force at the base of the pole be considered torque? If you watch face on it would look as though the base is rotating.

If so, how would you calculate how much force is required to pull it from the ground. Obviously it would depend on bolts used and height of where force is applied, but i'm pretty sure all of the formulas could be done step by step (t=rxF or LxF = WxX etc)

(long story short, just pondering building a dance pole for a mate who does pole dance as a fitness thing. And no, you can't have any pictures! )
Anchor it at top and bottom. Problem solved.
Old 05 October 2012, 12:17 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

buy one of the poles that are ready to go
Old 05 October 2012, 12:28 AM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

Here you go http://www.electrapole.com/
Old 05 October 2012, 01:03 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

It's not torque, and nor is it physics, just good old engineering. The force times distance above the floor gives a moment applied at the centre of the baseplate. That is balanced by a couple formed by the tension in the holding down bolts on one side and the compression between the edge of the plate and the floor on the other. Assume the floor can resist the compression then height x force = distance of bolts from compression edge of plate x tension in bolts.
Old 05 October 2012, 05:48 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a male friend who does pole dancing???
Old 05 October 2012, 06:24 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Pole dancing videos here

Trending Topics

Old 05 October 2012, 06:46 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

All that to tell us you have a friend who strips and you want a thank you slurp for screwing a pole into the ground.

Is it one of The Chippendales?
Old 05 October 2012, 07:38 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

And what pole dancer slides up a pole ? Now thats physics.
Old 05 October 2012, 08:08 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by speedking
It's not torque, and nor is it physics, just good old engineering. The force times distance above the floor gives a moment applied at the centre of the baseplate. That is balanced by a couple formed by the tension in the holding down bolts on one side and the compression between the edge of the plate and the floor on the other. Assume the floor can resist the compression then height x force = distance of bolts from compression edge of plate x tension in bolts.
Basic physics.......or it was, until Lying Labour dumbed it down.
Old 05 October 2012, 08:41 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Ha. What a mixed bunch of replies. It can't be bolted to the ceiling or floor so a 'stage' with mount and supports is the only option. Cheapest one she's seen it £800 an wobbly as anything. Looks like no thought went in to it at all.

Some good replies here that will point me in the right direction.

And I did wonder about torque as when I drew a quick sketch I thought it would be more of a rotating body rather than a lever.

I've seen a couple of tried and tested home builds that look pretty good but just wanted to see if I could work it out before hand.

Thanks
Old 05 October 2012, 10:12 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
Pole dancing videos here
....."click"

"load".....
Old 05 October 2012, 12:34 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Ha. What a mixed bunch of replies. It can't be bolted to the ceiling or floor so a 'stage' with mount and supports is the only option. Cheapest one she's seen it £800 an wobbly as anything. Looks like no thought went in to it at all.

Some good replies here that will point me in the right direction.

And I did wonder about torque as when I drew a quick sketch I thought it would be more of a rotating body rather than a lever.

I've seen a couple of tried and tested home builds that look pretty good but just wanted to see if I could work it out before hand.

Thanks
Could it have plates top and bottom with non-slip pads, then be arranged so it has a screw thread in it to tighten against floor and ceiling, like an acrow prop?
Old 05 October 2012, 12:52 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Imagine the whole system as a crowbar levering the bolts out of the floor and you will be in the right ballpark.
Old 05 October 2012, 04:39 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
Pole dancing videos here
Old 05 October 2012, 07:00 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Could it have plates top and bottom with non-slip pads, then be arranged so it has a screw thread in it to tighten against floor and ceiling, like an acrow prop?
This is a good idea. I did wonder about this. My only worry is that it may mark the ceiling or floor if it is tightened. Would it not leave marks like one of those baby gates does...?

Imagine the whole system as a crowbar levering the bolts out of the floor and you will be in the right ballpark.
Thanks for your help
Old 06 October 2012, 06:26 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

No it is not torque, just generated by a moment acting on the base generated by a horizontal force on the pole of course.

Make sure you have a wide base on the pole with srong fixings if you cannot attach it on the top as well.

Les
Old 06 October 2012, 06:32 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

Just fit an X pole,theyre safe and portable,also available as a spinner .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/X-Pole-XPe...ht_2004wt_1186
Old 07 October 2012, 01:31 AM
corvid
Scooby Regular

Torque is a moment (N*m) thus it is toque, and it's certainly a physical problem.

In response to the original poster:

If you want a solution that a structural engineer would be prepared to sign off, ie a structure sturdy enough to enable anybody of variable strength/weight/'x' number of other factors to swing on and around, consult Eurocodes and follow the formal design procedure similar to a cantilever beam or column, with the addition of a factor of safety (FOS) for a pole dancing pole - if such a FOS is provided specifically for this purpose in the codes.

Essentially Eurocodes will provide you with a design based on the first principles of Euler-Bernoulli beam theory (in this case) with the consideration of single or multiple bolt groups with base plates; the FOS should be adequate to account for the large variability.

With regards to your question of, 'how would you calculate how much force is required to pull it from the ground'. There's too much variability and several mechanisms of failure (sheared bolts, tearing of base plates, pole succumbing to buckling and combinations of all of the latter) to be able to provide anything close to a sensible answer, but one method that springs to mind would be to employ a finite element analysis. This would provide you with a numerical estimation of the force at failure based on material properties and model geometry, it would even show you susceptible locations of failure.

At the end of the day, it's a complicated problem and not one you are going to solve using a pencil and the back of a *** packet, HTH.
Old 07 October 2012, 08:39 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Bloody poles, they toook errrr JERRRBBSS, and now they mess with the laws of physics
Old 07 October 2012, 12:05 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

?
why give her a pole if you are not ******** ? This will not increase your chances of haveing sex with her.
Old 08 October 2012, 12:23 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corvid
Torque is a moment (N*m) thus it is toque, and it's certainly a physical problem.

In response to the original poster:

If you want a solution that a structural engineer would be prepared to sign off, ie a structure sturdy enough to enable anybody of variable strength/weight/'x' number of other factors to swing on and around, consult Eurocodes and follow the formal design procedure similar to a cantilever beam or column, with the addition of a factor of safety (FOS) for a pole dancing pole - if such a FOS is provided specifically for this purpose in the codes.

Essentially Eurocodes will provide you with a design based on the first principles of Euler-Bernoulli beam theory (in this case) with the consideration of single or multiple bolt groups with base plates; the FOS should be adequate to account for the large variability.

With regards to your question of, 'how would you calculate how much force is required to pull it from the ground'. There's too much variability and several mechanisms of failure (sheared bolts, tearing of base plates, pole succumbing to buckling and combinations of all of the latter) to be able to provide anything close to a sensible answer, but one method that springs to mind would be to employ a finite element analysis. This would provide you with a numerical estimation of the force at failure based on material properties and model geometry, it would even show you susceptible locations of failure.

At the end of the day, it's a complicated problem and not one you are going to solve using a pencil and the back of a *** packet, HTH.

Thanks for all of the info there. It will come in useful.

Ha, I know it's not something to be rushed. I've got a rough plan which is based on others which have worked (both DIY and pro) and I have taken it a bit further. I just basically wanted to do a few calculations an then build it and test it. Will probably get a drawing done on a computer soon and asses.

Thanks again