Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Drivers face new surprise 'repair' motorway fees

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2012, 06:44 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Drivers face new surprise 'repair' motorway fees

Do anything un-towrd on the Motorways and you will be billed to put any damage right!!

"Drivers are being hit with expensive bills from Highways Agency contractors for emergency repairs. Motorists claim the prices are over-inflated and in some cases they question whether the repairs ever took place.

Sheila Kaur-Patel, who works as a BBC production manager, was shocked when she received an invoice for £3,000 for damage she had allegedly caused during a motorway incident"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19833237
Old 07 October 2012, 07:09 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I can see their point;

Recently a coach near where I work decided to dump the contents of its sump over a 3 mile stretch of main road before the driver realised there was something wrong and pulled over.

Add rain to the mess, so that every junction he passed turned into a lethal ice rink. I know myself as I went to a four wheel drift at 5mph...I was doing 5mph as I saw the oil slick well in advance and took it easy, so I managed to recover before hitting anything....other drivers didn't drive so cautiously, so many were at the side of the road inspecting their bent wheels/damaged tyres after hitting the curb.

Cue clean up operations dumping tons of kitty litter everywhere to try and soak up the mess. Followed by street sweepers the next day.

My car was a mess, the wheels, the bonnet, windscreen and both sides spattered with oil which overnight had dried on in my garage, I tried to clean it next day, three attempts with a strong solution of car wash suds wouldn't shift it. I ended up using a solvent tar remover...which strips off the wax and sealer, so I had to re-wax and reseal the car again.

I wonder if the coach company were billed for all the clean up operations...and were they held liable for damage caused to cars?
Old 07 October 2012, 08:10 PM
JohnSmith
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do NOT see their point in the case on the BBC

She skidded on something that had been spilt from what I can gather, so why should she have got the bill

If that happened to me I would stick it where the sun doesnt shine on them
Old 08 October 2012, 08:37 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Ah its the blame / sue culture that we have inherited from the USA. Because the person in question has been in an accident and caused whatever damage, if the person that was the cause of the damage cant be traced (and billed) then the next easiest person gets the bill, ie the driver which had the accident.
Another way to make insurance premiums go even higher ?

Richard
Old 08 October 2012, 10:01 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

This has been the case in France, and Germany, to my knowledge, for over forty years!

And why not?
Old 08 October 2012, 10:05 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

If it is an 'accident' then I think this is highly un fair.
You know damn well that the taxes we are paying allow for general maintainence and repairs. If damage is caused by a stupid driver, then fine, bill him/her.
Old 08 October 2012, 10:12 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Who decides whether an incident is an accident though?
Old 08 October 2012, 10:21 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

The Highways Agency and only with solid evidence.

Old 08 October 2012, 10:22 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

I thought this is what we paid insurance for if a bill landed on my mat it would join the rest of the "utter bollox" pile…................straight in the bin! Not as if we have nice roads to ride around on their full of potholes, yet hit one of these and cause damage to your car and i dont see the local council holding their hands up and saying "here is £x amount go get it repaired"???

Just like everything else in Britain thats a flucking joke or rip off!!
Old 08 October 2012, 10:49 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
I thought this is what we paid insurance for if a bill landed on my mat it would join the rest of the "utter bollox" pile…................straight in the bin! Not as if we have nice roads to ride around on their full of potholes, yet hit one of these and cause damage to your car and i dont see the local council holding their hands up and saying "here is £x amount go get it repaired"???

Just like everything else in Britain thats a flucking joke or rip off!!
As long as you submit the claim properly, the local councils are paying for damage caused by pot holes.
Old 08 October 2012, 11:55 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Its a scam pure and simple, billing 3k for a load of crap that includes tipper truck hire for 'inspection' proves the point. The whole system of repairing and maintaining the roads is a massive scam anyway , contracts are awarded based on bribes and favours not the actual merits of a tender, I would estimate road maintenance costs the tax payer double what it would if the corruption was not there.
Old 08 October 2012, 12:18 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gear Head
As long as you submit the claim properly, the local councils are paying for damage caused by pot holes.
Well I submitted a claim using the correct procedures and got nothing !
Old 08 October 2012, 12:22 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

I'm sorry but £3,000 to allegedly clean up after her for a gentle spin where she apparently didn't hit anything or do any major damage is taking the p1ss, she said that she didn't even see any work men come after with sand to clean up etc
Old 08 October 2012, 12:24 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
Its a scam pure and simple, billing 3k for a load of crap that includes tipper truck hire for 'inspection' proves the point. The whole system of repairing and maintaining the roads is a massive scam anyway , contracts are awarded based on bribes and favours not the actual merits of a tender, I would estimate road maintenance costs the tax payer double what it would if the corruption was not there.

I would go along with that!

Les
Old 08 October 2012, 12:25 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Who decides whether an incident is an accident though?
Didn't think you had road traffic 'accidents' anymore, thought they are now termed road traffic 'collisions'.
Old 08 October 2012, 12:29 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pacenote
Well I submitted a claim using the correct procedures and got nothing !
This is what i mean, they are quick enough to try demanding it from you but not so fluckin fast when they have to cough up lol, but yes some DO get compensation but this is a very very small % in comparison to claims submitted i know
Old 08 October 2012, 12:46 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

If you have minor bump on the motorway leave the motorway and sort it with other party. Don't get the police or wombles involved
Old 08 October 2012, 01:22 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

If it is an 'accident' then I think this is highly un fair.
You know damn well that the taxes we are paying allow for general maintainence and repairs. If damage is caused by a stupid driver, then fine, bill him/her.
Originally Posted by pacenote
Didn't think you had road traffic 'accidents' anymore, thought they are now termed road traffic 'collisions'.
This is the real reason, the police do not use the term RTA (Road Traffic Accident) anymore, the term RTC (Road Traffic Collision) is now used instead. In the eyes of the police every collision has a cause and this means that someone must be accountable for it.

The Highways Agency and insurance companies are simply using this theory to charge people for the clear up operations.
Old 08 October 2012, 01:43 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Sounds like it's a new for old policy. The driver should only have to pay the price of scrappy 25 year old Armco and virtually worn out tarmac, not the cost of new

Seems like the issue is that the victim has no opportunity to view the damage and understand what they're getting for their money before the itemised bill lands on their doormat.
Old 08 October 2012, 03:14 PM
Richy P1984
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If they can, the Managing Agent who is responsible for that bit of the motorway / trunkroad will bill the persons / companies involved in the accident. They usually charge an extortionate amount, and may include works which simply aren't required. When you take into account the cost of the replacement material, lane / road closure, traffic management, work crews, equipment hire, and nightworks, a simple job can cost thousands.

In some cases the managing agents (on behalf of the HA) will make a considerable amount from these 'works' and reimburse the HA at the end of the year in order to cover unforeseen or emergency works.
Old 09 October 2012, 01:33 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

All a big con then,as one might expect of course!

Les
Old 09 October 2012, 04:58 PM
99mrbe
Scooby Regular

Massive con! Especially from the amount of road tax we all pay! Jokes!!!
Old 09 October 2012, 07:27 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Maybe just a precursor to priviatising the road network

I used to be anti road pricing, but am for it now, scrap car tax and put it on petrol/tolls
Old 09 October 2012, 07:31 PM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

if it was me I would refuse to pay.

that is what our road tax is for.