TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian Shul signed owner of Sled Driver checking in
Old 11 October 2012, 12:40 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

There are some cracking short stories on pprune mil section if you can find them.
Old 11 October 2012, 12:47 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Fair play some fascinating stuff there! Good little read that was cheers for the link
Old 11 October 2012, 01:11 PM
New_scooby_04

Amazing.
Old 11 October 2012, 02:51 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Certainly a fascinating machine. I remember having to be careful not to get any of its very special fuel dripping onto my uniform when walking underneath it. Apparently you would wind up with holes all over your clothes.

The other interesting bit was the whole aircraft being built of overlapping sheets of material to allow it to expand as it heated up at very high speed. The fuselage used to reach very high temperatures because of the heating effect of the air. It was largely built of titanium I was told because that was the only material that would stand the heat without weakening.

The tyres were silver in colour once again to help withstand the heat. They were made of pretty special material which was built up in layers so that when it landed the layers used to strip off deliberately as it went down the runway.

The engines were also very special, they used a hypergolic fuel for very high altitude work and when it took off the exhausts used to have diamonds in it like a rocket motor.

We were not allowed to look in the cockpit because it was all most secret so I never got the chance of a trip,even if I did offer a flight in the Vulcan in exchange!

Apparently when it was belting along it used to have a radius of turn equivalent to one of the States if they had to do a significant turn!

Too expensive to run any more they say!

Les
Old 11 October 2012, 03:28 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

It's amazing to think that nearly half a century has passed and yet it still remains unmatched in speed and altitude!
Old 11 October 2012, 05:13 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leslie
Certainly a fascinating machine. I remember having to be careful not to get any of its very special fuel dripping onto my uniform when walking underneath it. Apparently you would wind up with holes all over your clothes.

The other interesting bit was the whole aircraft being built of overlapping sheets of material to allow it to expand as it heated up at very high speed. The fuselage used to reach very high temperatures because of the heating effect of the air. It was largely built of titanium I was told because that was the only material that would stand the heat without weakening.

The tyres were silver in colour once again to help withstand the heat. They were made of pretty special material which was built up in layers so that when it landed the layers used to strip off deliberately as it went down the runway.

The engines were also very special, they used a hypergolic fuel for very high altitude work and when it took off the exhausts used to have diamonds in it like a rocket motor.

We were not allowed to look in the cockpit because it was all most secret so I never got the chance of a trip,even if I did offer a flight in the Vulcan in exchange!

Apparently when it was belting along it used to have a radius of turn equivalent to one of the States if they had to do a significant turn!

Les
Les is it true that a vulcan could outmanoeuvre an F-15's at high altitude...
Old 11 October 2012, 05:35 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They have one at the Imperial War Museum in Duxford

Old 11 October 2012, 06:43 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

Les
fuel wasnt hydrazine was it?
Old 11 October 2012, 10:24 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by jef
fuel wasnt hydrazine was it?
Nope, it was this:

Old 11 October 2012, 10:32 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jonc
One mile every 1.6 seconds!!

Lockheed Martin SR-71 Blackbird
Cool link jonc.... Thx it was v interesting.

It reminds me of one of favourite novels.... The North Cape. By Joe Poyer.
Its loosely based on a Blackbird, with a fair bit of embellishment, but its a cracking read if you can find it....
Old 11 October 2012, 10:42 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Nope, it was this:

deadly, that stuff lol
Old 11 October 2012, 10:50 PM
SkullFudge
Scooby Regular

I had a mate in the USAF posted at Biggen Hill and he told me the SR-71's total running costs were $ 34,000 per hour.

On another topc I read last week that the current US military combined machine is costing $2.2 Billion every 36 hours
Old 11 October 2012, 10:53 PM
Bikerboygreen
Scooby Regular

Great read. Thanks op.
Old 11 October 2012, 11:28 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Cracking link, thanks OP...and Leslie, I always like to read what you write when it comes to aircraft.
Old 12 October 2012, 12:11 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Awesome link jonc

Jura
Old 12 October 2012, 07:54 AM
Oldun
Scooby Regular

What a great read, thanks for the link.
Old 12 October 2012, 09:03 AM
JohnSmith
Scooby Regular

Still my all time favourite plane
Old 12 October 2012, 04:41 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Les
Yeah, that's right.
I saw one take off at an airshow at Mildenhall in 1984.
Couple of guys walked out to the plane in what looked like space-suits and off it went - exhaust diamonds and a load of noise
Those were the good old days, I recall seeing Luftwaffe Starfighters doing barrel rolls above the runway at very low altitude - no health and safety then!
Old 12 October 2012, 06:03 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYK
Les is it true that a vulcan could outmanoeuvre an F-15's at high altitude...
Yes amazingly enough for a pretty old machine, it could pull a tighter turn at 40 thousand feet than an F15.

When we took part in the Red Flag exercises just north of Las Vegas, we were discussing manouverability at height with the F15 blokes in the bar. Our boss said he could out turn them and they laughed in his face. So he said that he would see them at height after the next exercise that we did. They all met up and he put the Vulcan on its ear and none of them could get anywhere near him to get a front gun shot on him, they where flicking out all over the place!

They were very quiet for fighter pilots in the bar that night but it cost them a lot of beer .

I was also able to get a front gun shot on one at low altitude over the Nevada desert when I caught him by surprise. He did not expect the Vulcan to have such a rapid rate of roll and I was able to call "splash" on the radio which meant that I had been in a position to shoot him. The rest of his squadron never let him forget that he had been shot down by a bomber!

There was a lot more to the Vulcan than met the eye believe me. It was an honour to fly it.

Les
Old 12 October 2012, 06:08 PM
New_scooby_04

I was able to call "splash" on the radio which meant that I had been in a position to shoot him.

Les
I think most guys on here call "splash" under different circumstances, Les!

PS You sneaked up on an F15 in a frigging vulcan. Who was flying the F15? Stevie wonder?
Old 12 October 2012, 06:27 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Les
I have my doubts about that, i cant see USA taking it out of service without a replacement. So opens up the question or what replaced it?

Araura?
Old 13 October 2012, 01:20 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Well they must have something pretty spesh up their sleeve... Or us it all UAV these days..???
Old 13 October 2012, 05:33 PM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

Brilliant read thanks for that. Always wished i had seen one fly. Love the technology in those sort of planes.
A true aviation legend.
Old 14 October 2012, 02:56 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
I think most guys on here call "splash" under different circumstances, Les!

PS You sneaked up on an F15 in a frigging vulcan. Who was flying the F15? Stevie wonder?
He was guilty of making an incorrect assumption at low level...always ill advised under such circumstance!

We also fooled them into believing that the big refuelling probe fitted on the nose of most Vulcans was a very powerful cannon! We had even more respect after that!

Les
Old 15 October 2012, 09:41 AM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

This might be of interest to some of you

Old 15 October 2012, 12:35 PM
Oldun
Scooby Regular

Great news, it must have been awesome to see.

I was able to look over one in the 60s at Liverpool's Speke Airport.

Here is a brief article about it..(not by me though!)

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=91842

It's locatede here now..

http://www.dehavillandmuseum.co.uk/

Maybe we'll see it flying again one day.

Last edited by Oldun; 15 October 2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 15 October 2012, 03:51 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The Mosquito is a fascinating aircraft. Its construction and its performance was extremely impressive and it played a significant part in helping to win WW2.

It is said to have been the early version of the Canberra which was built in the same style as a light twin engined light bomber. Not made of wood however!

The Canberra, like the Mossie was a very versatile machine. It was pretty fast, a good low level aircraft, and I very much enjoyed flying it.

When I was doing the flying instructors' course at Little Rissington they had a Mossie parked up in one of the hangars. I spent some time trying to get a flight in it but it never came about while I was there. It was in pristine condition too.

The Mossie must have been an outstanding machine to fly,but I bet it was just as frightening as a Canberra with a single engine failure just after takeoff. Now that was a
dangerous experience!

Les
Old 15 October 2012, 04:40 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I was lucky as a kid, my father worked at RAE Farnborough amongst other secondments, which entitled us to free tickets to Farnborough on Trade days.
I remember being about 7 and watching the SR71 take off on the Monday morning after the Air Show it is still the most amazing sight I have seen in aviation by a distance.

One of my shots taken in DC at the Smithsonian, which is well worth a mention if you're ever in DC