Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Galaxy S3 Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2012, 12:27 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Galaxy S3 Mini...

Lol! That's about all that's needed to describe it!

Can't wait for the apple v android banter to start.

Where's my popcorn!!
Old 12 October 2012, 07:53 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

But it is losing the 720p display isn't it?

Is it still keeping the quad core processor?
And also I wish they would release it in black.
Old 12 October 2012, 08:11 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Its only dual core and it has worse cameras than the oruginal s3 so other specs will have to be down. I think the s2 will be a better choice.
Old 12 October 2012, 08:44 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Samsung decided that they would release a performance matching phone to the i5 but significantly cheaper

How's that as bait

Last edited by andy97; 12 October 2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12 October 2012, 09:10 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

There you have it, salvation for those one handed operators with small hands saddled with the iPhone 5 and a great upgrade for those on the 4/4S.
Old 12 October 2012, 09:53 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Apple.
Old 12 October 2012, 10:00 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Samsung are suing themselves for copying.
Old 12 October 2012, 10:18 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Basically the main things in nutshell:

smaller res screen than iphone 5
front and rear cameras lower res than iphone 5
quad core binned (which iphone 5 performance is similar to) for dual core

Samsung says theres a market for a smaller device - correct thats why millions bought an iphone 5 - the new mini just doesn't seem to come close!
Old 12 October 2012, 11:22 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

It's very difficult getting better performance from a smaller package. Don't be too hard on Samsung, at least they're trying and now they have the iPhone 5 they've got a blueprint.
Old 13 October 2012, 08:34 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

And what price is the s3 mini going to be sold for? That is the key question really isn't it? If it is anything like the original S3, they are having a laugh!
Old 13 October 2012, 08:36 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Just answered my own question. Free on a £25 a month contract. Still think it is a bit pointless to be honest.
Old 13 October 2012, 10:24 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Gear Head
Just answered my own question. Free on a £25 a month contract. Still think it is a bit pointless to be honest.
Not everyone wants to hold a tablet on their ear.
Old 13 October 2012, 10:39 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by ScoobyJawa
Basically the main things in nutshell:

smaller res screen than iphone 5
front and rear cameras lower res than iphone 5
quad core binned (which iphone 5 performance is similar to) for dual core

Samsung says theres a market for a smaller device - correct thats why millions bought an iphone 5 - the new mini just doesn't seem to come close!
The S3 is the iPhone beater and it does that quite happily the S3 mini is a midrange handset so will be aimed at a different market and for a lot less than the S3.
It's a very good move by Samsung really and is most likely aimed at those who cannot afford a top end handset but this will give them something close.
Old 13 October 2012, 10:52 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
The S3 is the iPhone beater and it does that quite happily the S3 mini is a midrange handset so will be aimed at a different market and for a lot less than the S3.
It's a very good move by Samsung really and is most likely aimed at those who cannot afford a top end handset but this will give them something close.

Yup, the Galaxy beats the iPhone at having a bigger screen. This handset needed to be released because of the size of the human hand and the fact that no one could ever do anything with the battery eating 'old school' processor in the S3 Maxi.
Old 13 October 2012, 12:17 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Battery eating old school processor? WTF planet are you on Jack?!
You are talking about Apple's latest handset then? the one that had complaints within the first day of battery life lasting 4 hours! You must be, as the Galaxy S3 lasts a damned sight longer than that
Also, considering you use the same core type as the S3, old school means that your wonderous marvel from Apple is a pile of poo according to you, yup you have just splattered yourself with **** pie

Nice work Jack

Tony
Old 13 October 2012, 12:25 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Samsung can go kiss be *****! It'll probably go wrong in 5 months and won't be covered under warranty
Old 13 October 2012, 12:28 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Added this just to rub it in a little

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...3-13-09-38.png

Tony
Old 13 October 2012, 03:33 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Added this just to rub it in a little

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...3-13-09-38.png

Tony
So you've tweaked your S3 so it can win a ***** waving contest, one you said was worthless before you could up your score by adding this rom take away this root and some other garbage no one but a sad fandroid wants to understand.

Out of the box the battery life of the Samsung is terrible and always will be terrible or worse unless you're not using it.

Same processor… weak Tony, weak.

This is the first time I've jumped on an Android thread and I have to say I'm loving it so far. I can sort of understand why you lot love to regurgitate gutter news stories but I'm not sure I'll stoop that low.
Old 13 October 2012, 04:38 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rather than starting a new thread for this question.
How good is giffgaff,i was thinking of ordering a sim instead of hooking up to a 24month contract.It says it uses the 02 network,is it any good or maybe i'm better off staying with 3.
Old 13 October 2012, 04:54 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Giff Gaff is ok. It's cheap for a reason though. User-based tech support, and some outages this last week that affected network.

That said, despite getting what you pay for, invariably it's more often good rather than bad.

Got a Giff Gaff on both my daughter's iphone, and a £5 goody bag on my iPad (data only).

DAn
Old 13 October 2012, 05:38 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
So you've tweaked your S3 so it can win a ***** waving contest, one you said was worthless before you could up your score by adding this rom take away this root and some other garbage no one but a sad fandroid wants to understand.

Out of the box the battery life of the Samsung is terrible and always will be terrible or worse unless you're not using it.

Same processor… weak Tony, weak.

This is the first time I've jumped on an Android thread and I have to say I'm loving it so far. I can sort of understand why you lot love to regurgitate gutter news stories but I'm not sure I'll stoop that low.
Shows you know nothing then Jack standard setup on an O2 phone, no roms, no tricks, no tweaks, standard go chew some lemons
As for same processor, did you not read what I said? the core on your wonderful Apple A6 is (as it looks) pretty much the same as that of the A9, or if you want, it looks and performs very similar to an overclocked core on an A5X, as ive said in previous posts as you dont seem to understand, the biggest plus is the memory bandwidth, shame it doesnt make the core processing chip any quicker, the top 2 figures show how well that is done on my print, so you can see, the quad core 4412 chip is considerably faster at processing than the A6, wonderful eh?
Old 13 October 2012, 05:57 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYK
Rather than starting a new thread for this question.
How good is giffgaff,i was thinking of ordering a sim instead of hooking up to a 24month contract.It says it uses the 02 network,is it any good or maybe i'm better off staying with 3.
Giffgaff tariffs are changing next month, still good value though. £10 will get you 250mins, unlimited texts and 1GB of data.

Add another £2 and you get unlimited data.

New prices come into effect 16th November I believe.

www.best-payg-deals.co.uk
Old 13 October 2012, 06:22 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

My mistake, there are so many variations of android and Samsung phones it's hard to keep up. I just thought it was the latest one as although that's an ugly looking operating system it wasn't as bad as some.

Please stop selling people on the processors being the same, they're far from it, even you add (as it looks) and you're the biggest know it all on this forum. This is a processor developed for use in one, maybe two devices, not something with big numbers picked from a catalogue. There's a huge difference especially when your hardware runs your operating system.

Shows you know nothing then Jack standard setup on an O2 phone, no roms, no tricks, no tweaks, standard go chew some lemons
As for same processor, did you not read what I said? the core on your wonderful Apple A6 is (as it looks) pretty much the same as that of the A9, or if you want, it looks and performs very similar to an overclocked core on an A5X, as ive said in previous posts as you dont seem to understand, the biggest plus is the memory bandwidth, shame it doesnt make the core processing chip any quicker, the top 2 figures show how well that is done on my print, so you can see, the quad core 4412 chip is considerably faster at processing than the A6, wonderful eh?
Old 14 October 2012, 07:47 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boro
Giffgaff tariffs are changing next month, still good value though. £10 will get you 250mins, unlimited texts and 1GB of data.

Add another £2 and you get unlimited data.

New prices come into effect 16th November I believe.

www.best-payg-deals.co.uk
Having looked at some reviews about giffgaff its kinda put me off,seem to be more bad than good,think i might just stay with 3 for now.So the S3 is poo then,i was just having a look at what's about other than iphone..
Old 14 October 2012, 09:14 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

My mistake, there are so many variations of android and Samsung phones it's hard to keep up. I just thought it was the latest one as although that's an ugly looking operating system it wasn't as bad as some.

Please stop selling people on the processors being the same, they're far from it, even you add (as it looks) and you're the biggest know it all on this forum. This is a processor developed for use in one, maybe two devices, not something with big numbers picked from a catalogue. There's a huge difference especially when your hardware runs your operating system.
Again you are talking processor, I am talking core, slight difference there Jack so wind your neck in alot
The base architecture of the chip is the same, they both use the ARM7v, the difference is in the build of the CPU itself, where as the 4412 is a quad core (ie 1 processor with 4 cores) the A6 is a dual core (1 processor with 2 cores, see the difference?).
Also there are 3 GPU's on the A6 compared to the Mali 400 in the S3.

The mini on the other hand wont use much of either, its using an Ericsson 1ghz processor (dual core) rather than a quad and is going to be roughly half the cost of the S3.

Tony
Old 14 October 2012, 01:28 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Tony - move the goalposts - Burns. I can't be arsed looking through your earlier posts, I'm just amused by how far you're prepared to change your point in order to score points.

The iPhone 4S is faster than your Samsung at the type of task these devices are used for, end of. And if you do find an app that uses all four of your old school CPU's you better hope you bought a spare battery.

The iPhone 5 uses custom chips, perfectly matched to both hardware and software, it's a winning combination that Samsung will never be able to achieve.
Old 14 October 2012, 11:23 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

I just ordered the S3 Galaxy,**** the iphone ....
Old 14 October 2012, 11:36 PM
Scooby Senior

I've just got a Galaxy Note 2 and the Mrs' has an iphone 5, the note ****'s on the iphone 5 in all ways
Old 15 October 2012, 03:40 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Tony - move the goalposts - Burns. I can't be arsed looking through your earlier posts, I'm just amused by how far you're prepared to change your point in order to score points.

The iPhone 4S is faster than your Samsung at the type of task these devices are used for, end of. And if you do find an app that uses all four of your old school CPU's you better hope you bought a spare battery.

The iPhone 5 uses custom chips, perfectly matched to both hardware and software, it's a winning combination that Samsung will never be able to achieve.
Jack "clueless" Clark, when you get some understanding of technology come back, we don't expect to see you again
Old 15 October 2012, 05:50 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Jack "clueless" Clark, when you get some understanding of technology come back, we don't expect to see you again
LOL. I've forgotten more about tech than you'll ever know. Get back up your pole.

Quick Reply: Galaxy S3 Mini...