Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anybody study Mech. Engineering in the UK? Advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2002, 05:48 AM
DSteele
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hello all. I will be attending university in the fall of 2002, and I'm debating which university to attend. I've been offered a place at the University of Washington in Seattle, and also at Brunel University. Before I make the decision, I'd like to hear some of the UK perspective of a Brunel education. The course is mechanical engineering with automotive design and I've been wondering: Is this a good degree to get into the UK auto industry as a career? What is studying engineering like in the UK? Anything I should know about living in (West) London? Please give any advice. Thanks. Feel free to email as well SubaruRali@hotmail.com.
Old 13 May 2002, 09:05 AM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi

I studied at Brunel from 83 - 87 so things will have changed a bit since then, but here is my 2 pennies worth.

In the UK there is a fair degree of snobbieness about Universities amoungst different people, sometimes based on fact and sometimes not. This will effect you to a less an extent when getting a job and more so in your social life. Effectively there are three levels of University;

1. Oxford and Cambridge.
1a Durham and a couple of others.
2. "Redbrick" universities - eg Birmingham, Bristol.
2a "Modern" universities - eg Brunel.
3. Former polytechnics - eg Sussex, Hertfordshire, Middlesex.

Up until the 1970's Brunel was a Technical College but dragged itself up to full University status at that time. It therefore does not have a long list of Alumini in the way that more established Universities do. This means that people seem to think that it is inferior, whereas the reality is that the courses are excellent. Clued up employers will respect it, but the "man in the street" (who may well be the bean counter that runs the business) will not, and you may be passed over for less competent people who went to a "more established" University.

Uxbridge (and the main Brunel campus) is not the most inviting place on Earth. Architecturally it is the pits (perhaps excluding Croydon ) - the piece de resistance being the main lecture halls that were built backwards with all of the services facing the main square. If you like concrete it is for you! West London is an expensive place to live with large ethnic communities, but is actually fun. It is approx 1 hour from central London, but is convenient for Heathrow (and hence easy for you to get to from the USA).

Coursewise - I studied on a course called SEP (the current couse is called Manufacturing and Engineering Systems) so it is not exactly the same as the one you are considering. The Profs and Lecturers are excellent, the course well structured and relevant. It set me up well for a future both in and out of Engineering.

Oh, and the last thing. The totty count is very low. The overall figures are flattered by the inclusion of females from associated colleges that are approx 12 miles distant. On campus the ratio was 4:1 male:female.

Hope that helps!

Duncan
Old 13 May 2002, 09:45 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

engineering wise, there is one redbrick which stands out over the others, and in terms of kudos with automotive industries I would put it ahead of oxford and cambridge.

That is Bath University.

Ford motor company run a scholarship scheme there, but it is so competative you would need to be one of the best in the world to even get an interview at that level.

and on your point, no offence, but i would not consider it worthwhile on education or on social grounds to leave washington and a local univrsity to go to brunel.

I would say it ranks alongside MIT for this nature of course.

[Edited by Adam M - 5/13/2002 9:46:20 AM]
Old 13 May 2002, 09:49 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

As an aside, Uni of Sussex is not an ex-poly (didn't go there, but was interviewed there by the late R.A.J. Tayler for anyone who knows astronomy).

Adam -- is the course at Bath the one that used to be run by Peter Stevens, or was that the automotive design one at the Royal College of Art?

Brunel has a pretty good reputation with employers.

[Edited by carl - 5/13/2002 9:51:48 AM]
Old 13 May 2002, 10:21 AM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

errrrm actually Ford sponsors students at a number of Universities.

I would say Brunel is among the more respected for engineering.

Cambridge is the engineering one of oxford / cambridge.

Imperial / Southampton / Durham / Brunel are probably the 1st flight.

Then Cambridge and the rest
Old 13 May 2002, 10:24 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Smile

I think Imperial is pretty good?

MB

Mechanical Engineer.
Old 13 May 2002, 10:26 AM
Adam_K
Scooby Regular

how come u wanna move to the UK?? what would happen if you moved to the UK then decided university wasn't for u???
Old 13 May 2002, 05:29 PM
GEJL
Scooby Regular

As an Imperial Mech, Eng. 'alumni' (and therefore biased), I'd agree with JamesS...

Brunel is good, but I've no idea how it would compare to the US University. From my level of ignorance, I'd be ranking the Imperial etc. group that James detailed as being on a par with MIT.

But Uxbridge isn't nice and leafy like Concord

Old 13 May 2002, 05:41 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

LOL, I never studied mech eng.

Had a place reading physics at oxford/manchester/leeds/imperial/southampton/UCL

Should have gone to UCL but oh well. you live and learn.

Yes there are several ford scholarships, but only one of the prestige of the Bath mech engineering placement.

Aside fromt hat I dont know much more except that an electronics and electrical engineer who I have aptented for through fords is a former winner of that scholarship. Gifted to say the least.
Old 13 May 2002, 06:36 PM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Go to Imperial College, London. Its one of the most respected for engineering.!
Old 13 May 2002, 07:09 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

I'm currently studying at University of Reading. The staff (all of them) are damn helpful and friendly. Not only would they help out in your academic problems, but they'll even try their best to help you out if you got personal ones.

My only qualms with studying there is the drive from Oxford to Reading every day. But then again, I'm not complaining because I'm cruising in my scooby.

Oh yeah, forgot to add that its voted in the top ten university for this course.
Old 13 May 2002, 07:28 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

Question

Was at Brunel from 66 - 71 (Mech/Prodn B.Tech) moving from Acton site to "new" Uxbridge site (being built !). Became a University in about 1965 from a College of Advanced Technology. Only 1 girl in 200 Fresher engineering students. Hope things are better now !!
Was well regarded - no idea now !! Those were the days (sigh)!!!!!
(During the war ........ etc etc)
Stan
Old 14 May 2002, 03:50 AM
DSteele
Scooby Newbie

Hey, thanks a lot for all the responses. Well, just to keep things focused, women aren't a problem because mine is going to be in the area anyway. Do you think that it would be possible for a foreigner to get one of those corporate sponsorships? As an international student tuition can run up to $24k US, about 16,000 UK. (I don't have a pound button on my computer.) If anyone knows about sponsorship for international students, please respond. Thanks a lot for all the comments.

Dave
Old 14 May 2002, 08:56 AM
GEJL
Scooby Regular

I don't know of any specific funding for US students in the UK (other than being a Rhodes scholar!?!), but there are loads of foundations and trusts scattered around the US that can provide funding for 'suitable' candidates - a friend got something like that for a place at Tuck University in New Hampshire. Try a search on the web...
Old 14 May 2002, 10:29 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Wink

Add another vote for Brunel. At the time I was studying (early 90's) Brunel's Mech Eng graduates were number 1 in the "most likely to get employed after graduation" list. Don't know how things are now.

It might be the "University that's very West of London", but it's not that difficult to get in on the Metropolitan. Plus, most students (when I was there) were on sandwich courses, so they could all afford cars.

As for the totty count, Uxbridge town centre is only a short walk and there's a girls' college not a million miles away.
Old 15 May 2002, 10:57 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Don't do mech eng - no girls on course, long hours, poor wages after.

Do: Law (for money), Arts (for lots of girls on course), Sociology (for very low amount of work required to obtain degree)

Appologies to any Scoobynettters with sociology degrees, I'm sure YOU were 'the exception that proved the rule'

Mick (Uni of Central Lancashire - formerly Preston Poly )
Old 15 May 2002, 11:55 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Drama -- very low amount of work to get a degree. There I was, sitting in the library studying for my finals, when I noticed the drama students were engaged in covering a Sainsbury's trolley in tin foil.

There are lots of women on Biology courses too (unfortunately I did Physics....)
Old 16 May 2002, 12:00 AM
ChrisB

engineering wise, there is one redbrick which stands out over the others, and in terms of kudos with automotive industries I would put it ahead of oxford and cambridge.

That is Bath University.
That'll be why there's a shiny new Ford College on the Loughborough Campus then?

Serious investment gone into that building.
Old 16 May 2002, 12:19 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Wink

There are lots of women on Biology courses too (unfortunately I did Physics....)
Can't think why.......biology bored the hell out of me, I loved studying physics A-level!!! Tis a shame that more women don't do subjects like maths and physics.......

I was going to study for it at degree level, but could never work out what the hell I would do with it afterwards........
Old 16 May 2002, 12:45 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Talking

Just flicking through some search engines, it is reallty hard to find anything decent and useful, try some links that I have found....

Info on funding (postgraduate though)
Student finance Centre - Useful Links
Finance & benefits for international students in the UK
Student-services
Student Support Services
International Student Services

Last but not least....

Advice for International Students at Brunel University

Sorry if I have repeated any of them, but the Irn Bru/vodka mix is nicely taking effect and rendering me nearly unable to post I just clicked and copied and pasted and posted and clicked and copied, etc, etc

Hope these are of some use and help to you.....

Cheers,

Michelle.

PS. My thanks to Lycos for being a very useful search engine, but still coming up with some rather strange sites
Old 16 May 2002, 12:49 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Wink

It would be so bad of me not to claim this corner seen as I have taken so much time out to search for these sites
Old 16 May 2002, 11:34 AM
GEJL
Scooby Regular

Someone above said don't do mech eng as the pay is poor afterwards. True, but who says you have to go into mech eng after graduating

Something like 80% of the people on the same course as me went into IT, finance or consulting...

Shame really, but wouldn't have been able to afford the Scoob if I'd gone into engineering as a career.

Old 18 May 2002, 11:54 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Ah ha!... But you can find a woman who appreciates a man who can 'fix-anything' ;-)
Old 19 May 2002, 12:11 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Drama -- very low amount of work to get a degree. There I was, sitting in the library studying for my finals, when I noticed the drama students were engaged in covering a Sainsbury's trolley in tin foil.

I'll see your drama and biology and raise you with fashion.

Almost all if not all the students studying fashion are girls (not women, girls).
Old 19 May 2002, 04:17 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Angry

Small minded males

FFS [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 19 May 2002, 01:37 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Smile

DSteele

it's a change somebody wanting to do mech eng

choice of uni might be helped by whether you want to get any professional qualifications / letters etc after your name later if you stay in engineering (in the UK etc) - latest requirements for chartered mech engineer through IMechE require MEng on an approved course so would probably be worth asking whichever uni you choose if the courses are available if you want to go that route

just my 2p

Apple
Old 19 May 2002, 01:39 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Small minded males
Well, its not the size that counts, its how you use it.
Old 19 May 2002, 11:58 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Wink

Well, its not the size that counts, its how you use it.
I guess, but if your attitude stinks then you won't get the chance