Buying a car privately.......

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2013, 04:12 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question Buying a car privately.......

What's to watch for?
How do you ensure you haven't bought a stolen/crashed etc car?
What rights do you have and what rights have you lost?

And lastly, if the car you buy has a private plate, and the owner wants it back, how do you go about that? Drive it home with the plates on and send them back?
Old 23 January 2013, 05:07 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always get a HPI check done on the car: https://www.hpi.co.uk/home/

Carefully check the V5, make sure chassis and engine numbers match.

Obviously give it a good look over, check the oil, water, etc. looking for signs of head gasket failure. Look for any accident damage and over spray. Check the tyres have worn evenly. Check the suspension etc. etc.

Your rights are very much sold as seen but if someone is trying to sell you a stolen car then obviously the police will be interested. Ask if it's had any insurance recorded accident damage or if it's even been written off (HPI check will confirm), if they lie you have good grounds to get your money back at a later stage though you'll probably need a witness.

No idea regarding private plates, never had them or bought a car with them.
Old 23 January 2013, 05:15 PM
Dale17
Scooby Regular

Keep the plate in until the owner has transferred it then you will have to get some original plates made and logbook changed
Old 23 January 2013, 06:42 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a right game on when I bought a car from a fur coat wearing moron a few years ago and tbh I wouldn't do it again, if someone is selling a car why don't they just get the plates transferred before selling? It is a early common thing to come across with used cars but it seems common sense to me that it should be sorted beforehand.

Obviously check everything possible, I always take someone with me if I'm carrying the money to make a purchase ( plenty scamming scumbags out there )

I will say that in all honesty I've never checked an engines numbers in any of the cars I've bought and I know that sounds bad practice but I've changed countless engines for myself and others and never informed anyone so what's the chances of anyone else taking the trouble to do so.

Also never be swayed by someone's patter, usually best to go with gut instinct and if anything seems odd or anything doesn't add up then walk away there's always plenty more cars in the sea!

With regards to the rights you have, I read a while ago that even though its a private sale you still have to give 30 days guarantee and writing "sold as seen" means nothing in the eyes of the law but.... I don't know anyone who would go back to a seller after buying and I also don't know of a seller who would entertain someone taking a car back a fortnight later and demanding money back etc, I don't see how this could be enforced so I never really gave it a second thought.

I put buying cars privately down to common sense.

Mick
Old 23 January 2013, 08:55 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks to all responders.
Old 24 January 2013, 03:24 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
What's to watch for?
How do you ensure you haven't bought a stolen/crashed etc car?
What rights do you have and what rights have you lost?

And lastly, if the car you buy has a private plate, and the owner wants it back, how do you go about that? Drive it home with the plates on and send them back?
Yes the HPI check is worth doing for a start. AS far as the condition is concerned, that is all down to your own assessment.

The present owner can get the private plate transferred to a certificate in his name, he has to do that. The car's original number should normally go back on the car and this is also down to the owner to do if he wants to keep the plate.As far as I know, if he leaves the private plate on when he sells it, it is his loss. Not your problem!

Les