Anyone got their own lathe?

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2013, 12:52 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Anyone got their own lathe?

I have a small Emco Compact 5.

I'm thinking of moving up in size and quality to a Myford 7 series, but can't decide which model to buy.

Super 7. Seems the best bet, but is it worth waiting for one with a screw-cutting gearbox?

ML7. As above. Is the super worth the extra over the straight ML7?

Trileva. A bit rarer, and even more so with the screw cutting gearbox. Not available as Super.

If I do buy one, I'll probably ebay the Compact 5 to help pay for it. There's nowt WRONG with the Compact 5, other than bits for it are VERY expensive, and much rarer than those for a Myford. I have the space for a Myford, so why not?
Old 27 February 2013, 03:46 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to have an elderly one which I bought from an engineering university which was changing to a new one.

It was in excellent condition having been used as a teaching device and had been well looked after. Very accurate in use.

I used it to build my racers and it was a boon to have it. I could make just about anything that I needed.

It was a Smart and Brown full screwcutting model.
They used to have a factory by the side of the A1 north of London. I sold it eventually to a friend when I moved down here and I have missed having it many times.

I can't recommend from personal experience but think that you would not go far wrong with a Myford.

Les