Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How much more stupid can this country get?

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2013, 12:26 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face How much more stupid can this country get?

My partner rang the local hairdresser this morning for her hair to be coloured. She has had it coloured there before so was surprised to be told they could not do it without a skin test or her being prepared to sign a disclaimer in case she has a reaction to the dye and sues the hairdresser.

On enquiring why this was when in the past she had had no problem just getting it done she was told it is now a condition of their insurance and would be the same anywhere ..... the girl then muttered the wonderful term 'it's something to do with a new European directive'.

As a test I got her to ring another hairdresser and a beautician... she got the same story from both of them and they both said they had had to raise their prices due to the cost of the insurance now!!!

When will these people stop meddling and when will this government start dismantling the nanny state like they promised?
Old 26 April 2013, 12:44 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Most amazing thing about this post is that you have a partner
Old 26 April 2013, 12:48 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hang on, they get you to sign a disclaimer saying you can't sue them, but their insurance is going UP?!
Old 26 April 2013, 12:49 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm surprised about the EU directive slant, I would have thought it was more down to some bird going in to the hairdressers and coming out looking like people on here:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=re...w=1280&bih=637

and then as you mention, going down compensation route.

My better half buys one of those box kits from the super market and I do it for her about once every two months. Even if you’ve applied the stuff before, it says you should do a ‘behind the ear’ skin test and then leave it a few days before going the whole hog. It’s not that difficult to do and payment can be in kind.

I suppose I’d have to abstain for a while if she ever had a nasty reaction though.
Old 26 April 2013, 12:53 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
He doesn't, its one of thoe 'i'm asking for a mate' posts,,,,,,,, hahaha
Old 26 April 2013, 12:54 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I'm sure he'll be along in a minute to put me right
Old 26 April 2013, 12:55 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Tidgy
He doesn't, its one of thoe 'i'm asking for a mate' posts,,,,,,,, hahaha
Oh, come on now.

It just happens she's a ladyboy

Trending Topics

Old 26 April 2013, 01:29 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I don't really see any problem here, they require someone to have a test patch done before you have a bunch of chemicals poured over your head. Seems like a sensible precaution.

I'm no doctor, but I'm sure a person can have a reaction to something even if they have been in contact with it many times before.
Old 26 April 2013, 01:36 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Just another case of people being unaccountable for their own actions and looking for a claim where ever they can get one, It's not the average working man who tends do do this either it's normally the jobless layabout who's looking to get something for free on anything they can.

All these Injury Lawyers 4 u type companies (A lawyers company that uses ******* 'txt spk' as their name says it all really) and other related companies which have contributed to this as well.
Old 26 April 2013, 01:51 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Probably in here somewhere although even I can't be bothered to read it. Simple solution, leave the EU
Old 26 April 2013, 01:54 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
Just another case of people being unaccountable for their own actions and looking for a claim where ever they can get one, It's not the average working man who tends do do this either it's normally the jobless layabout who's looking to get something for free on anything they can.

All these Injury Lawyers 4 u type companies (A lawyers company that uses ******* 'txt spk' as their name says it all really) and other related companies which have contributed to this as well.
They and the stupid courts who find against a coffee shop for not warning someone the coffee they sold was hot etc.

At the end of the day I find myself asking the question why are we so determined to keep the stupid alive?
Old 26 April 2013, 01:55 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
Probably in here somewhere although even I can't be bothered to read it. Simple solution, leave the EU
Got to be honest Warren, that is rapidly becoming a sensible option!
Old 26 April 2013, 02:03 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

While true, we seem to ignore/forget the good that EU legislation does.

EU legislation is IMO like a football referee; you can tell a good referee when no-one talks about them. It's only when they make a mistake that all hell breaks loose and previous form is forgotten!

Last edited by ReallyReallyGoodMeat; 26 April 2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 26 April 2013, 02:43 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
I don't really see any problem here, they require someone to have a test patch done before you have a bunch of chemicals poured over your head. Seems like a sensible precaution.

I'm no doctor, but I'm sure a person can have a reaction to something even if they have been in contact with it many times before.
Yep, what Mark said there^.

Now, about the nanny state issue, our receptionist has put a sticker on the kettle in the office kitchen that says- "fill before boil". Some people in our offices are terribly stupid to boil the kettle without water thus set fire to it. Personally speaking, Government should make new laws to suing oneself for such acts of complete and utter stupidity.

About chemicals testing and re-testing on skin/body prior to full-on application, it is important to do that tbh. Forget about suing anyone, but what if someone ends up losing all their hair this time around?? Hence why the hairdresser girls are right, and insurance people are fine in saying that colour should be re-tested on people before applying it in abundance to one's head.
Old 26 April 2013, 02:52 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
My partner rang the local hairdresser this morning for her hair to be coloured. She has had it coloured there before so was surprised to be told they could not do it without a skin test or her being prepared to sign a disclaimer in case she has a reaction to the dye and sues the hairdresser.

On enquiring why this was when in the past she had had no problem just getting it done she was told it is now a condition of their insurance and would be the same anywhere ..... the girl then muttered the wonderful term 'it's something to do with a new European directive'.

As a test I got her to ring another hairdresser and a beautician... she got the same story from both of them and they both said they had had to raise their prices due to the cost of the insurance now!!!

When will these people stop meddling and when will this government start dismantling the nanny state like they promised?
The hairdressers are covering their ar$e and obeying the COSHH guidelines presumably.
Old 26 April 2013, 03:21 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

The country just got a little more stupid :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-22308165

Old 26 April 2013, 03:27 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline

******* mental, just crazy to the point of being almost unbearable.

They had to remove the nuts because the nuts didn't have a sign to say the nuts 'might' contain nuts?
Old 26 April 2013, 03:27 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

nevermind hairdressing what about this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22296769

"The MPs said accountants were being seconded to work in the government to advise on changes to tax law but using the position to glean inside knowledge and tell businesses how to avoid tax. The MPs want the practice stopped."

bit like getting an unreformed car thief to help Ford design anti theft devices

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 26 April 2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 26 April 2013, 03:44 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Glean inside information? WTF is this nonsense? The law is published for all to see and obey. There is no inside information, there is only the law. These cretins should be ridiculed in the streets
Old 26 April 2013, 03:46 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Got to be honest Warren, that is rapidly becoming a sensible option!
UKIP can count on your vote next Thursday then?
Old 26 April 2013, 03:51 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline

Stop the Earth, I want to get off
Old 26 April 2013, 03:56 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Anybody else one of the first bonkers EU laws/rules about Bananas having to be straight or something like that. I can't remember the full story though but it got ripped apart when first released.
Old 26 April 2013, 04:02 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Glean inside information? WTF is this nonsense? The law is published for all to see and obey. There is no inside information, there is only the law. These cretins should be ridiculed in the streets
i know daft isn't

they seem to think that because the big 4 accountancy firms have tax accounts sitting alongside HMRC accountants for years at a time helping the HMRC write the technical details of Tax law

it gives them some advantage over other accounting firms and in addition also helps them market very specific and aggressive tax avoidance products to their clients

they will be banning peanuts from the shelves of supermarkets next, for containing nuts, wtf
Old 26 April 2013, 04:21 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

UKIP can count on your vote next Thursday then?
In all seriousness, yes, they can!
Old 26 April 2013, 04:42 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Anybody else one of the first bonkers EU laws/rules about Bananas having to be straight or something like that. I can't remember the full story though but it got ripped apart when first released.
Yes I remember this and many other made-up, exaggerate and just factually incorrect stories like this being peddled by the anti-EU press. Shame that there are so many simpletons around prepared to believe them
Old 26 April 2013, 04:44 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
you beat me to it
Old 26 April 2013, 04:44 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Yes I remember this and many other made-up, exaggerate and just factually incorrect stories like this being peddled by the anti-EU press. Shame that there are so many simpletons around prepared to believe them
What was the actual rule/law about them then as I can't remember, I can only remember something about Bananas having to be straight.
Old 26 April 2013, 04:52 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

What was the actual rule/law about them then as I can't remember, I can only remember something about Bananas having to be straight.
Commission Regulation Number 2257/94 details the regulations covering the quality standards for bananas, including the requirement that they be at least 5.5 inches long and 1 inch wide. The regulation includes the provision that they be free from "abnormal curvature".

What a load of bollocks. Does it taste nice? Yes? Well I couldn't give a **** how long, wide or abnormally cuirved it is then!
Old 26 April 2013, 04:57 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Well I don't fancy eating a gay Banana thank you very much

dl
Old 26 April 2013, 04:59 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Well I don't fancy eating a gay Banana thank you very much

dl

Quick Reply: How much more stupid can this country get?