Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Holiday Home and Tax on any Gains?

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2013, 06:41 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Holiday Home and Tax on any Gains?

As the savings rates are getting really silly now, I am tempted to buy a place by the coast (I have been looking for a while, but this stupid fall in interest rates is driving me with new vigor!!).

Now, I won't be renting out the property - it will reamin empty unless we visit it to enjoy coastal living. There will be no mortgage, the idea is to get rid of some savings!

Assuming, as seems likely, I purchase for around £400,000 and use it for weekends and suchlike.

The main residence will remain where I am based now ...... for about 5 years, when I plan to move to the coast where the holiday home is.

Obviously with the sale of the mortgage free main residence and the holiday home I will be looking for something more substantial than the Holiday Home.

But, let's say the £400,000 Holiday Home is £500,000 in 5 years time I would be liable for CGTax on the £100,000.

However, if I move into the Holiday Home for a period of, say, 18 months and claim it as my main residence (which it would now be) what is the tax position? Can I sell it and 100% of the gain is tax free? Or do I pay tax on the gain whilst it was a second home?

I've looked all over and there is no definitive answer - even on the Government websites! There is a statement saying that I have to inform HMRC of the purchase within 2 years (but I cannot see why that would benefit me at all?). My Tax Return asks for other properties anyway!

I don't see why any gain should be taxed and any losses are born by me!

I did think I could move in as my main residence and therefore any profits would be tax free ...... but, I'm not too sure now? How long would you have to live there before it is classed as your main residence?

Anyone know, anyone doing this?

Last edited by pslewis; 28 July 2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 28 July 2013, 06:47 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Tories have made this possible for you to do this, you know?

Anyway, yes - I do it.
Have a crash pad in New York, a chalet in Val D'isere and a little beach house in Menorca.

Main residence is in the UK.
A little bit of Googling will give you your answers.
Old 28 July 2013, 06:47 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You could be dead in under 7 years, just sign it over to us lot and we'll let you live in it super cheap
Old 28 July 2013, 06:52 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
The Tories have made this possible for you to do this, you know?

Anyway, yes - I do it.
Have a crash pad in New York, a chalet in Val D'isere and a little beach house in Menorca.

Main residence is in the UK.
A little bit of Googling will give you your answers.
Nice. Which part of New York?
Old 28 July 2013, 07:08 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
As the savings rates are getting really silly now, I am tempted to buy a place by the coast (I have been looking for a while, but this stupid fall in interest rates is driving me with new vigor!!).

Now, I won't be renting out the property - it will reamin empty unless we visit it to enjoy coastal living. There will be no mortgage, the idea is to get rid of some savings!

Assuming, as seems likely, I purchase for around £400,000 and use it for weekends and suchlike.

The main residence will remain where I am based now ...... for about 5 years, when I plan to move to the coast where the holiday home is.

Obviously with the sale of the mortgage free main residence and the holiday home I will be looking for something more substantial than the Holiday Home.

But, let's say the £400,000 Holiday Home is £500,000 in 5 years time I would be liable for CGTax on the £100,000.

However, if I move into the Holiday Home for a period of, say, 18 months and claim it as my main residence (which it would now be) what is the tax position? Can I sell it and 100% of the gain is tax free? Or do I pay tax on the gain whilst it was a second home?

I've looked all over and there is no definitive answer - even on the Government websites! There is a statement saying that I have to inform HMRC of the purchase within 2 years (but I cannot see why that would benefit me at all?). My Tax Return asks for other properties anyway!

I did think I could move in as my main residence and therefore any profits would be tax free ...... but, I'm not too sure now? How long would you have to live there before it is classed as your main residence?

Stop being such a plank and ask your accountant. It's hardly rocket science and you aren't the only person in the country to own a second home.( Not that you actually own one yet, you've just been going on about it for about seven years)

Your accountant should be able to resolve this for you in about five minutes by email.

A potential solution that springs to mind is to have your first home in just your name and the coastal property in just your wife's name. You pay one council tax and she pays the other.

The properties should then probably be treated as a primary residence each for you and your wife.

Email your accountant, mine will respond to my queries even at the weekend
Old 28 July 2013, 07:20 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

£400000 to invest and you drive a civic
Old 28 July 2013, 07:32 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Nice. Which part of New York?
I was talking bollox, just like Lewis is.

(I don't have a flat in New York . )
Old 28 July 2013, 08:03 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
I was talking bollox, just like Lewis is.

(I don't have a flat in New York . )
Bollox! Was hoping to borrow it for a weekend after flying in in the Learjet.
Old 28 July 2013, 08:04 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
£400000 to invest and you drive a civic
It does have dual climate control and a ceramic heater.
Old 28 July 2013, 08:12 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

You do make me chuckle you lot ..... I have a poxy £400k to spend on a Holiday Home and therefore I must, simply must, drive an Aston Martin DB9!

WHY?

I buy what's best to do what I want to do ..... I have an MX5 for driving in the sun around country lanes, nothing comes close to this for its task.

Anyway, I am my accountant ..... I have read all I can read, and I still can't fathom the best way to jump - I had thought about the 2 owners thing where the wife is regsitered at one and I at the other .... but that generates other problems in itself.

I did think, because of the affluent persons who frequent these pages, there would be an answer out there .................. I guess the Scooby really has hit the Chavvie end of the street now?
Old 28 July 2013, 08:20 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

you do have to laugh when people ask for complex legal/tax/medical/financial advice on scoobynet

to me the answer is always
Old 28 July 2013, 08:29 PM
300gnspitzer
Scooby Regular

I think most of the Subaru owners that use this site aren't looking for ways to save money on their tax bill, they're quite happy to pay their share. Someone has to support the less fortunate.

I know this is rubbish, but he started it.
Old 28 July 2013, 08:35 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Ahh Lewis , what does £400k get the poor people these days? Minimum I would spend is £1.2m
Old 28 July 2013, 08:48 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

£400k is what I can get to with ease ... more is tied up in other pies, which must remain there to spread my risks.

To the poster above, I pay a vast amount in taxes ..... I, single handed, am supporting at least 30, 14 year old Mothers in liverpool - and their grandchildren!!
Old 28 July 2013, 08:56 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Wink

What a plank, plonker, & whatever else that begins with P!

I think you know exactly what to do & this is just another wind up!

A good one by the way
Old 28 July 2013, 09:17 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Ant
Ahh Lewis , what does £400k get the poor people these days? Minimum I would spend is £1.2m
I agree, I wouldn't waste £400k on a rundown property on some ****ty council estate. If you're planning for your retirement and, as you say you want the best for your plans then you should not scrimp on the property. Personally I would say Ant's £1.2m should be an absolute minimum and you should really be prepared to pay double that for real quality.
Old 28 July 2013, 09:47 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

You do make me chuckle you lot ..... I have a poxy £400k to spend on a Holiday Home and therefore I must, simply must, drive an Aston Martin DB9!

WHY?

I buy what's best to do what I want to do ..... I have an MX5 for driving in the sun around country lanes, nothing comes close to this for its task.

Anyway, I am my accountant
..... I have read all I can read, and I still can't fathom the best way to jump - I had thought about the 2 owners thing where the wife is regsitered at one and I at the other .... but that generates other problems in itself.

I did think, because of the affluent persons who frequent these pages, there would be an answer out there .................. I guess the Scooby really has hit the Chavvie end of the street now?

What do you mean 'I am my accountant'? You can't understand simple tax matters yet you don't spend a few thousand pounds a year on a professional accountant??

You are making a fool of yourself
Old 28 July 2013, 09:51 PM
Snooky
Scooby Regular

Can you lend me a tenner?
Old 28 July 2013, 10:09 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Right fellas - rulers at the ready - let the ***** measuring begin!!!
Old 28 July 2013, 10:36 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I'm thinking of buying Knightsbridge. Any tax implications?
Old 29 July 2013, 06:51 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
I'm thinking of buying Knightsbridge. Any tax implications?

Too late, I had a discussion with my accountant and bought it last night.
Old 29 July 2013, 07:24 AM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I'm fancying a little hide away at Sandbanks, got 6 million burning a hole in my pocket
Old 29 July 2013, 07:54 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
I'm fancying a little hide away at Sandbanks, got 6 million burning a hole in my pocket
About the going rate for a decent pad here too. Dammit.

Ding; git. I'll have to settle for Mayfair.
Old 29 July 2013, 08:13 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure if the law has changed but it used to be live in it for 3 years and it's classed as your main residence.

I'd actually like to know the genuine current solution to this, and if there are any timescales involved, although I'm not planning on selling now, but you never know.

Is the only way to do it to have the properties in separate names and what implications there are for this, I don't currently have an accountant.

Cheers Pete for starting this wined up, not thought about this for a while.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 29 July 2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old 29 July 2013, 08:53 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Actually the HMRC website is unequivocal - you're only entitled to relief on the period when it was your main residence....and full relief only applies if it was your main residence for the entire period of ownership.

You get full relief on the gain during last 3 years of ownership so long as it was you main residence at some point in that 3 years.

And in theory the split ownership with wife doesn't get you anything

If you're married or in a civil partnership and own two or more homes between you, any nomination (for main residence) must be made jointly. It must be signed by both of you. You're only entitled to Private Residence Relief on one home between you.
Old 29 July 2013, 10:49 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

12 Months within a three year period will allow you full relief ....

Tool .........
Old 29 July 2013, 12:15 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Old 31 July 2013, 07:30 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dsmith
Actually the HMRC website is unequivocal - you're only entitled to relief on the period when it was your main residence....and full relief only applies if it was your main residence for the entire period of ownership.

You get full relief on the gain during last 3 years of ownership so long as it was you main residence at some point in that 3 years.

And in theory the split ownership with wife doesn't get you anything
I couldn't find that, thanks ....... no good is it? I haven't got 3 years to waste in a small Holiday property as my main residence!

I suppose, what I could do, is buy the final property of my life while still owning the Holiday Home ...... and have the Holiday Home as our main residence for 3 years and then sell - move into the other property and die there (so, I don't care about tax then).

It's not as clear as you make out I don't think?
Old 31 July 2013, 07:33 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
12 Months within a three year period will allow you full relief ....

Tool .........
Is this right? If so, it's more acceptable to me.

If I buy now and sell in 6 years time - after living in it for 1 year - I will not have any CGT to pay?

I'm not sure how they can work out what profit was made at what point in time ....... I'm still looking for an answer in plain English.