Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

driving & medication

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2013, 01:25 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driving & medication

There is a motoring offence of driving while under the influence of drugs. is anyone aware if there is a list of drugs which are likely to place you on the wrong side of this offence?

My wife was prescribed a fairly potent cocktail of drugs yesterday, which are having the desired effect, however, in the patient information leaflets, it stated not to drive or operate machinery if they make you feel tired or drowsy. She is neither of those things.

It is the last two I would be most concerned about neither of which have patient information documents with them.

Doxycycline - antibiotic
Naproxen - NSAID
Liquid Codiene
Tramadol
Old 22 November 2013, 01:52 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The list would be very long, and would probably inappropriately exclude some that could rarely affect driving or machinery operation. Of the four listed, I routinely advise patients that the last two can affect driving and record that I do so. I think the pharmacist also adds a warning to the label and tells them as well.
Old 22 November 2013, 02:17 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Any medicinal product marketed in the UK has to have all relevant safety information listed on the primary, secondary packaging and also the pateint information leaflet. If she bought a registered product without a patient information leaflet being supplied then I would tell her to contact the pharmacist or marketing authorisation holder.

Here is a typical leaflet for Tramadol

http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medi...lease+tablets/
Old 22 November 2013, 02:24 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Yes there is an offence, it was introduced recently

http://drugdrive.direct.gov.uk/legaldrugs.shtml

On a related note, once took Day Nurse (which was OK during the day and felt no effects) and then Night Nurse. Next day got up and was feeling weird. Just thought it was down to that drowsy feeling when you wake up sometimes and I'd shake it off after breakfast/shower/getting out. But got to work and realised I should never have attempted to drive.

Very foolish but didn't think it was the Night Nurse at all, never taken it again. Not sure if it was a reaction or just the way the drug works as normal.
Old 22 November 2013, 06:12 PM
just me
Scooby Regular

Ive only ever taken tramadol once, and it did definately affect my driving, caused slight confusion, then spent the rest of the night throwing up.
Old 22 November 2013, 06:43 PM
Snooky
Scooby Regular

If she crashed and informed the police she was on tramadol she would be in trouble! That painkiller is 1 off of morphine! I have been on it and drove, can make you more easier to be tired behind the wheel on long period driving! If in doubt try not taking them before going out if she needs to drive!

Snooky
Old 22 November 2013, 08:05 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just out of curiosity re. Tramadol. Many drugs, including this, state to avoid alcohol when taking it. Does anyone know whether in the case of tramadol it is a definite no no, or just don't have too much, or if you were going out for example, how long would you need to leave after your last dose?
Old 22 November 2013, 08:32 PM
Snooky
Scooby Regular

I drank on them and blacked out!! I would not drink on them again lol! If u "need" a drink don't take them that day,take next morning! I only had 3-4 double vodka red bulls and ended up at home out cold till next morning!! Cheap night it was tho!
Old 22 November 2013, 08:34 PM
Snooky
Scooby Regular

Another thing! Not being rude or anything but tramadol will "back you up" (no 2 end) if you get me! So drink plenty of water while on them!