Cordless Drill options

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2013, 05:46 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Cordless Drill options

Hi all.

I'm in need of a new cordless drill after dropping my last one that I've had for 5 years. Anyway technology and build has moved on a lot since my last purchase, so what do I need to look out for and what is the best buy..

I believe 18v is must ?
Dewalt, makita, ryobi, ?
Battery types ?

I've seen this which looks a good deal? Views please
http://cpc.farnell.com/dewalt/dc970k...-bb45-00001002

Thanks
Rob
Old 23 November 2013, 06:27 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm very much an amateur in this game but wouldn't you want Li-Ion batteries? More expensive but last longer and keep charge better.

dl
Old 23 November 2013, 06:30 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Nah mate , get one with lithium batteries , Brand is personal opinion , I used to be Ryobi but recently changed to Makita. 3.0ah batteries are good but not essential if the kit as 2 batteries . If u use it alot a "quick charge" charger it handy too.
Old 23 November 2013, 06:31 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

Go on toolstation or screwfix website and buy the best for your budget and use,they are probably rated there too.
Old 23 November 2013, 06:34 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

B&Q have some good deals now and again , see some good ones in Screwfix too.
Old 23 November 2013, 06:40 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Cheers all.

The trouble with going to a reputable supplier of all tools us they have pretty much all options, and although I had around £100 in my head which will get be a makita, there are so bloody many variations of it I wouldn't know a good en from a bad en!

Also places like screw fix are generally top dollar with small discounts, whereas the same brand/part can be had much cheaper, thus my budget will get me more. I just don't know what to look out for. My works maintenance depot had Ryobi and Makita (still have), until a recent one broke, so they bought a dewalt and rave it.
Old 23 November 2013, 06:40 PM
scooblet
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Hilti is the one to go for if you can afford it.

Trending Topics

Old 23 November 2013, 06:54 PM
JC-R
Scooby Regular

Im a carpenter , Get the dewalt 18v, 2 batteries , 1hr charger £99 or the makita 18v 1 li-on battery , 30 min charger £99. Out of the 2 id go for the dewalt , great drill for the price. The exact same dewalt drill fell off the roof of my van whilst i was doing 70 mph on my way home from work couple of weeks ago . I heard it fall off and it bounced down the road. I stopped and walked back up the road and picked it up off the side of the road , it had a couple of scratches on it but still works perfect. Shows the build quality of dewalt.
Old 23 November 2013, 06:56 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Just bought the latest small handled bosch 18 volt 4 amp lithium with twin speed gear box, led illuminated for working in the dark and led battery indicator level. Bought an extra battery aswell. The drill has hammer action. Reasonably cheap
Old 23 November 2013, 06:58 PM
JC-R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by John C Type R
Im a carpenter , Get the dewalt 18v, 2 batteries , 1hr charger £99 or the makita 18v 1 li-on battery , 30 min charger £99. Out of the 2 id go for the dewalt , great drill for the price. The exact same dewalt drill fell off the roof of my van whilst i was doing 70 mph on my way home from work couple of weeks ago . I heard it fall off and it bounced down the road. I stopped and walked back up the road and picked it up off the side of the road , it had a couple of scratches on it but still works perfect. Shows the build quality of dewalt.
Screwfix are selling the above drills at these prices
Old 23 November 2013, 06:58 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

70 mph on a road

Sounds a strong bit of kit
Originally Posted by andy97
Just bought the latest small handled bosch 18 volt 4 amp lithium with twin speed gear box, led illuminated for working in the dark and led battery indicator level. Bought an extra battery aswell. The drill has hammer action. Reasonably cheap
Where from bud?
Old 23 November 2013, 07:05 PM
JC-R
Scooby Regular

[quote=Rob Day;11273143]70 mph on a road

Ive got a nissan primaster 115 , 70 is no sweat on the m6 following a vw transporter sportline 180

Last edited by JC-R; 13 June 2014 at 11:52 PM. Reason: my computer was hijacked
Old 23 November 2013, 07:06 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

We use dewalts at work and can't fault them, drill and impact driver and lasts all day, quick 20min charge too...we are due an upgrade soon.....dewalt again. Similar to your 1st post
Old 23 November 2013, 07:18 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=John C Type R;11273146]
Originally Posted by Rob Day
70 mph on a road

Ive got a nissan primaster 115 , 70 is no sweat ive got it up to 120 on the m6 following a vw transporter sportline 180
LOL. I was actually referring to you publicly claiming your a criminal, now it's worse
Old 23 November 2013, 07:44 PM
JC-R
Scooby Regular

[quote=Rob Day;11273162]

LOL. I was actually referring to you publicly claiming your a criminal, now it's worse
Sorry ive just remembered it wasnt on the m6 it was on the autobahn
Old 23 November 2013, 07:49 PM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Im a joiner, got the full makita kit and wouldnt buy anyrhing else, its the 18v lithium lxt pack, honest mate its mint, ive got 8 batteries and they get constant abuse all day every day in circular saw and planner and they put up with it very well, dewalt are a good tool but batteries are pants compared to makita, if you dont use it that much i would recommend the older style drills with the nimh or nicad batteries, they dont hold charge as long but there half the price ;-)
Old 23 November 2013, 08:12 PM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

Just changing all ours from Dewalt to Makita ...

The Dewalt kit has lasted 5 years if abuse but there batteries are too expensive imo

Can get better deals on the Makita range.
Old 23 November 2013, 09:29 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Check out the Milwaukee range, I use their impact wrench and drill driver in my work and have yet to break them despite plenty of abuse.
Old 24 November 2013, 07:52 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Day
70 mph on a road

Where from bud?
local builders merchants. Bosch were having special offer this month. Check out local supplies to see if offer is still on.
Old 24 November 2013, 10:20 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

As mentioned: Li-ion batteries is a must, they don't go flat when not being used. And they are higher capacity and charge quicker too. So its win win.

I would NOT recommend nicads/ni-cd//NiMH for a sporadic user as they self discharge when not being used. (Apparently the interweb quotes it at typically upto 10% loss of charge in the first 24hrs after charging for NiCd and upto 20% loss for Ni-MH, Li-Ion is less than 2%! ).

Voltage isn't really the issue IMHO - amp hour capacity is king. 3000mAh (3.0Ah) has twice the storage power of 1500mAh (1.5Ah) in other words the drill will work for twice as long.

Brand?

That's personal preference. I like my Makita - its been crushed under a 4 post car ramp with a combined weight of 2tons on it and doesn't look any worse for it, bar a crack in the plastic behind the rubber grip.....you may say I was lucky...but I've done it twice now and its still OK

3.0Ah Li-ion Batteries charge in less than half an hour and can be charged at anytime without damaging them (unlike nicads, which suffer capacity issues if not cycled properly etc). So I'd go as far to say that if you are just drilling the odd hole here and there then one 3.0Ah Li-ion battery is enough (so long as you remember to charge it after use ).

So you could buy a better drill with one Li-Ion battery, or buy a lesser drill with several Li-Ion batteries.

Last edited by ALi-B; 24 November 2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old 24 November 2013, 10:26 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rooferman
but there batteries are too expensive imo
Adam the batteries are re-chargeable mate, you don't have to buy new ones every time they run down

I have DeWalt and nothing but good to say about it. It doesn't get the same abuse as it would in the hands of a trade contractor though.
Old 24 November 2013, 11:14 AM
scoobyross
Scooby Regular

I just got this one, proper good drill:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-bhp...sory-kit/20547
Old 24 November 2013, 11:18 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone for the replies, I'm really pleased with the response considering I didn't make myself all that clear in my original post. I think all bases are covered, so I'll look for a 3.0Ah Li-ion makita or dewalt (readily available, and accessories are easy come by) at 18v or thereabouts.

By the way I'm a DIY freak, I've renovated three house in the last 10 years from top to bottom, my basic un branded tools have done the job well, in fact my Argos Challange corded drill has knocked off plaster in three house, mixed render, board adhesive, multi finish, and fixed all the woodwork with just a new set of bushes and 2 new chucks. It's been a real bit of kit, and still going strong. My other tools are doing good too, but after dropping my last cordless from only 4ft and breaking I feel I need a better bit of kit going forward. Considering I'm only a DIY guy I've a shed full of tools that over time I'll replace with better ones. Sander, Plane, Circular saw, Jig Saw, Drill. The rest are decent branded tools.

Rob
Old 24 November 2013, 12:05 PM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great choice rob love my makita stuff specially my impact gun look up its London cheapest prices. Iv upgraded all mine to Hilti now due to half of my stuff got stolen . Back doors got done on van.
Makita prob just as good tbf apart from my collated gun Hilti is the nuts.
Also rob I what's ap you want some graphics done after x mas
Old 24 November 2013, 12:05 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyross
I just got this one, proper good drill:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-bhp...sory-kit/20547
Same as mine , though I got the 2 battery 1.4ah kit for £130 in B&Q. Im in a trade so need to batteries so one is charging while other is being used. Though I tempted to buy a 3ah kit , keep the battery , and sell the drill and charger. So expensive to buy individual bits (all brands)
Old 24 November 2013, 02:26 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Axeminster are normally really good for Makita deals, dewalt are good but my bro has just changed all of his gear from dewalt to Makita, he had quite a bit of bother with his dewalt stuff think he had his 18v driver repaired about 3 times, gear box packed in after a few months and was repaired under warranty ( it was an xrp driver aswell with the heavy duty matel gearbox casing) and it also needed a new motor at some point aswell.

Not had any bother with Makita stuff over the years.

Best if you can afford the LXT range with the Makita stuff much better gear for the money

Mick
Old 24 November 2013, 07:12 PM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

18v makita lxt ftw dewalt batteries dont live as long, ive had 1lxt battery fail on me but ive had many dewalt fail to charge, dewalt tools are superb but until they can make a good battery they are ****, for £1000 you can get the latest makita bushless kit with 3 batteries n charger, planner, sds, combi drill, impacter, jig saw, circular saw, torch and angle grinder.

This is the kit i got and honest i cant fault it, it gets massive abuse as i work on a price on sites and never missed a beat, best on the market imho
Old 24 November 2013, 08:19 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

i bought this one 4 years ago from b & q http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-839...ory-kit/83834# it cost me £100 and i have battered it to death and its still going strong the battery's are still good, my next drill will be a newer makita with li-on batterys.
Old 25 November 2013, 08:41 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Another one for Makita here, I still have one that's almost 20yrs old and used to get abused all day every day for about 13yrs never let me down and still going to this day, replaced batteries twice only ever broke one when I dropped it 5 floors down a lift shaft at leeds uni.
Old 25 November 2013, 04:57 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For amateur use, the Mac Allister drills from B&Q were decent value.