Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Electric toothbrushes?

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2013, 09:20 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric toothbrushes?

Looking on Amazon, there are features like, polish, sensitive care, etc,etc. am I missing something. Isn't it just a head that rotates at various speeds. I always have mine on fast?

Thinking of going for an OralB, two speed for £25.
Old 24 November 2013, 09:31 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The heads oscillate as opposed to rotate.
A £25 (was 50 jobby) Oral B will be just what the doctor ordered mate.
Old 24 November 2013, 09:37 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

I stand corrected.
Either way, it removes plaque?

Last edited by paulr; 24 November 2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old 24 November 2013, 09:40 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

A lot of this stuff is a bit of a gimmick in my opinion. Someone bought my wife and I an electric toothbrush as a gift a few years back, it has various programs and a timer to indicate that you have brushed for 2.5 minutes!!!!

I now use a brush which cost a couple of quid, which takes a single AAA battery. It switches on at a single speed and I switch it off when my teeth are clean. The whole thing can be immersed in water, unlike the more expensive brush described above.
Old 24 November 2013, 09:44 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Yes, my dentist tells me the most important thing is a good quality 2 minutes clean twice a day. Then try to limit your exposure to sugar/acid during the day.
Old 24 November 2013, 10:06 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
Yes, my dentist tells me the most important thing is a good quality 2 minutes clean twice a day.
There's a
wireless toothbrush wireless toothbrush
kit which has a two minute timer on the lcd screen.
Old 24 November 2013, 10:10 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

You're wasting your time with an electric toothbrush, you need to go for the sonic ones. Trust me, just ask any dentist. The rotary electric ones are pretty much pointless. I've been using sonic brushes since 2007 and my teeth are in very good condition.

I've had a Philips and Oral B, I'm on my 3rd now which is a new Philips one. The Philips sonicare is much better than the Oral B sonic ones. My girlfriend has a new Oral B and it isn't as powerful and my teeth didn't feel as clean compared to when I use my Philips.

I currently use this one for £39. You don't need a fancy brush for £100 with different modes because that's all a waste and you will never use it. My first Philips was over £100 and I just used the normal mode, that's it. The one I've linked is just the basic model but performs exactly the same as the expensive models, minus the features. It still has the 2 minute quad pacer which is all you need.

Philips Sonicare HX6511/50 EasyClean Rechargeable Toothbrush: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care Philips Sonicare HX6511/50 EasyClean Rechargeable Toothbrush: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care

Last edited by LSherratt; 24 November 2013 at 10:12 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 24 November 2013, 10:13 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Oral. B 1000 ( be it trizone or professional care)

Oscillates and vibrates/pulsates. Warning light if you press too hard.

Is about £25. Paying anymore is a waste of money IMHO.

They sell lots of packages but essentially they are all the same toothbrush with different head attachment and charge bases or indicators for telling you where to brush, variable speeds etc. (gimmick).

The 1000 does the job, so long as you know how to brush correctly with a leccy toothbrush - seems a lot of people think you need to brush like a manual - even a reviewer on BBC news 24 tech slot was using it wrong

Last edited by ALi-B; 24 November 2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 24 November 2013, 10:19 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

poundland normal toothbrush, works just as well, my tooth is in perfect condition so the dentist says.
Old 24 November 2013, 10:19 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LSherratt
I've had a Philips and Oral B, I'm on my 3rd now which is a new Philips one. The Philips sonicare is much better than the Oral B sonic ones. My girlfriend has a new Oral B and it isn't as powerful and my teeth didn't feel as clean compared to when I use my Philips.
So you share your girlfriend's toothbrush?
Old 24 November 2013, 10:32 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

I tried it just the once when she got it to compare it to my Philips. Ewwww I know, germs.....
Old 24 November 2013, 10:33 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
poundland normal toothbrush, works just as well, my tooth is in perfect condition so the dentist says.
But.......if you read any research, electric toothbrushes are more effective. Many studies support this view.

Regarding sonic vs OralB, harder to say.
Old 24 November 2013, 10:36 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

But.......if you read any research, electric toothbrushes are more effective. Many studies support this view.

Regarding sonic vs OralB, harder to say.
Yes get a vibrator....a vibrating one that is.
Old 24 November 2013, 10:40 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
Your dentist is right, as you only have just one tooth left in your mouth. You don't need anymore than what you use. It also explains why rest of your teeth have dropped out.

Frankly, I'd get the last one standing pulled out and save my pound, if I were you.
Old 24 November 2013, 10:46 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Studies have shown that an electric brush is no better than a manual, provided the operator is well drilled in the correct brushing technique.

It's not rocket science to use a bass technique and concentrate on the gum to tooth border. Look in a mirror when you brush.

Oral B make the best electric toothbrushes in my opinion. ASDA have an outstanding offer on the professional series at the moment, it must be one of their loss leaders as we order them in at considerably more than they sell for.

The sonic toothbrushes are good and if they work for you then that's great.

If you are after the best vfm then the Colgate battery operated ones are very good.

Oh and by the way, you should be cleaning interdentally if you really want to look after your teeth.
Old 24 November 2013, 11:05 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy

Oh and by the way, you should be cleaning interdentally if you really want to look after your teeth.
Yes, but those damn TEPE interdentals are damn expensive.
Old 24 November 2013, 11:45 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Those TePes are good but not for everyone. If you've been recommended them then stick with them but you can reuse them and they are more useful still if you dip them in mouthwash or tandem gel before use.

For those with good contacts flossing with a dental tape or glide floss holders is best.
Old 25 November 2013, 02:38 AM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Electric toothbrush makes your teeth feel a lot cleaner than just a standard brush, but I use both because I am a maverick.
Old 25 November 2013, 04:27 AM
fawor
BANNED

Had oralB and on sonic now ,4 years and sonic is not from this space,the think is sonic flush,cleaning spaces between your teeth way better than oralB.
But its aggressive with standard heads,prefer soft ones.
And cleaning is way easier,nothing inside a head like in oralB.

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy
Studies have shown that an electric brush is no better than a manual, provided the operator is well drilled in the correct brushing technique.

It's not rocket science to use a bass technique and concentrate on the gum to tooth border. Look in a mirror when you brush.

Oral B make the best electric toothbrushes in my opinion. ASDA have an outstanding offer on the professional series at the moment, it must be one of their loss leaders as we order them in at considerably more than they sell for.

The sonic toothbrushes are good and if they work for you then that's great.

If you are after the best vfm then the Colgate battery operated ones are very good.

Old 25 November 2013, 07:58 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
So you share your girlfriend's toothbrush?
Nasty!!! and the dirty ****** sticks his ***** her too...
Old 25 November 2013, 08:41 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

I stand corrected.
Either way, it removes plaque?
Yes - plaque is basically soft slimy stuff, so rapid oscillation using gentle force plus the detergent action of the toothpaste is OBVIOUSLY going to get the best result without wearing your teeth away.
Cleaning one tooth at a time with a tooth sized brush removes a lot of operator based variables - which is a polite way of saying it is idiot proof.
Some of the responses on here are rather amusing.
Proof of the inalienable right to express an opinion that we hold so dear in our democratic society

Last edited by cster; 25 November 2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 25 November 2013, 10:31 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Plenty of second-hand ones on e-bay!

And they make VERY good miniature sanders for modelling
Old 25 November 2013, 10:42 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Nasty!!! and the dirty ****** sticks his ***** her too...
Old 25 November 2013, 03:07 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Seems like sonic is the way to go

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9487838
Old 25 November 2013, 06:59 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Your dentist is right, as you only have just one tooth left in your mouth. You don't need anymore than what you use. It also explains why rest of your teeth have dropped out.

Frankly, I'd get the last one standing pulled out and save my pound, if I were you.
Great idea, I never thought of that, as i change my brush every year I could save maybe another 10 before it falls out by itself.

I will have to put that toward some sweets and cakes now after all it's coming out anyway.
Old 25 November 2013, 07:36 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
Seems like sonic is the way to go

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9487838
Yeah - well don't forget to by some sensodyne toothpaste at the same time is my advice.
Old 25 November 2013, 11:35 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thenewgalaxy has it covered ......

For people with normal dexterity a manual toothbrush used properly is as good as a powered one..

If you have arthritis or a mobility problem then a powered brush can compensate for the fact you can't move your hands.

What you need is constant encouragement (bollocking) to do it properly including the all important MIBS (Mini Interspace Brushes) also known as Te-Pe's or alternatives.

Ask to see a dental hygienist or pay to see one

Shaun
Old 26 November 2013, 07:46 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
a manual toothbrush used properly is as good as a powered one..

Shaun
Bit of a health warning there.
Maybe an electric tooth brush is easier to use properly than a normal one - and also less likely to cause permanent damage to your teeth if it isn't? Especially those with pressure sensors.
Obviously a dental professional would have no problem using a manual tooth brush and would probably use one as a matter of course.
I'm not sure this applies to the general public, certainly those who have (over the years), formed a pretty well entrenched habit of scrubbing their teeth as seen on TV. Especially smokers and born again non-smokers.
Old 26 November 2013, 08:50 AM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster
Maybe an electric tooth brush is easier to use properly than a normal one - and also less likely to cause permanent damage to your teeth if it isn't? Especially those with pressure sensors.
Apparently so, but people still need to know which bit to brush.

I'm asking everyone at the moment why they brush their teeth and 99% of the time - no word of a lie - I get two answers "to stop me getting holes in me teef" or "dunno".

Unbelievable

I am on a one-man crusade at the moment to get us all to change our attitudes towards "tooth brushing" and get us to recognise what it actually is... "gum brushing".

Obviously a dental professional would have no problem using a manual tooth brush and would probably use one as a matter of course.
Most of them maybe. I see a hygienist every six months, I think I'm a bit lazy when it comes to brushing as I miss bits here and there. But I think it's something we should all do!

I'm not sure this applies to the general public, certainly those who have (over the years), formed a pretty well entrenched habit of scrubbing their teeth as seen on TV. Especially smokers and born again non-smokers.
One of the biggest diseases of the teeth we're seeing is that of "tooth surface loss" of which there are several types. It's controversial within the profession as to the causes but wear of the necks of the teeth is widely believed to be caused most by scrubbing with the brush.

I feel it's multifactorial but of course that is a major component. Fort that reason those electric brushes (particularly ones with pressure sensors) are excellent, and as I said above the bass technique (circular motions) is the best to use - and electric brushes mimic this.
Old 26 November 2013, 01:20 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

One man crusade LOL - you have alot of work ahead of you

Our country's reputation for teeth isn't a lie

I don't disagree though, alot people just don't know any better.

I learnt from an early age - Four fillings and two extractions on my milk teeth were enough to imprint on my brain the importance of takeing care of my teeth and gums. My adult teeth have no fillings and are all present and accounted for. Although the enamal is bit thin on some and my gums show signs of overbrushing/brushing too hard (oops ).

A good dentist and hygienist helps - my teeth get inspected and serviced more often than my car does.

Quick Reply: Electric toothbrushes?