Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Can you spare 99p for a worthwhile cause

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2013, 07:27 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you spare 99p for a worthwhile cause

Some local students have put this together to raise funds for their charity SWOT (Students working overseas trust) - not the worst track or video I have ever heard and seen. its only 99p and for a worthwhile cause, most of you wouldn't even bother to pick up a £1 coin if you dropped it, if you believe the hype on here!!!!

Anyway here's the track;

and the promotional spiel;

The SWOT (Students Working Overseas Trust) charity is also run by 4th year medical students at Queen's University Belfast and all proceeds from fund raising go directly to 3rd world hospitals (including funds generated through selling this song!)

Every two downloads buys 30 tetanus vaccines for children, stops two babies being born with HIV and could even help pay for a midwife's salary in rural areas.

And finally the download link;

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/th...le/id722255261

Last edited by tarmac terror; 27 November 2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 27 November 2013, 08:08 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I already pay tax that goes to overseas aide. What about the child poverty in the UK? The lack of midwives in the UK?

Education is the best option not continual intervention.

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 27 November 2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 27 November 2013, 08:28 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
I already pay tax that goes to overseas aide. What about the child poverty in the UK? The lack of midwives in the UK?

Education is the best option not continual intervention.
I would suggest most on here contribute through taxation, neither you nor I have much control over how the UK government spend (waste) the funds we contribute.

I don't disagree with you, there are numerous problems right on our doorsteps, but these guys have gotten off their *****, done something to contribute and in their own small way are trying to help.

Regarding your point on education - it is one strand of a multi-stranded approach. Practical aid and intervention is clearly needed in the short term. If you were presently seriously ill would you like to be educated about how you may have been able to avoid your condition, or just have someone take away the pain, or get you on the path to health again?
Old 27 November 2013, 09:34 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A worthwhile cause without doubt but the song is just awful.
Old 27 November 2013, 10:33 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Even education cost money

Unfortunately itunes is a deal breaker here
Old 28 November 2013, 07:08 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The song sucks .. some of the birds would be worth 99p though
Old 28 November 2013, 07:28 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
I would suggest most on here contribute through taxation, neither you nor I have much control over how the UK government spend (waste) the funds we contribute.

I don't disagree with you, there are numerous problems right on our doorsteps, but these guys have gotten off their *****, done something to contribute and in their own small way are trying to help.

Regarding your point on education - it is one strand of a multi-stranded approach. Practical aid and intervention is clearly needed in the short term. If you were presently seriously ill would you like to be educated about how you may have been able to avoid your condition, or just have someone take away the pain, or get you on the path to health again?
But I do have the choice to donate if I want. As you pointed out it's wasted, will this be any different?

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 28 November 2013 at 07:30 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 28 November 2013, 08:00 AM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
But I do have the choice to donate if I want. As you pointed out it's wasted, will this be any different?
With regard to this fund raising attempt, you absolutely have the choice to donate or not. With your tax contribution, you have no choice, nor do you have any real control over how or where it is spent.

It may be a waste of a quid in your opinion, but the ethos of this particular charity is that every penny of every donation is spent on medical intervention overseas - less whatever apple might take for sales and marketing through their Itunes service, I have no idea what that percentage is.
Old 28 November 2013, 08:57 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
With regard to this fund raising attempt, you absolutely have the choice to donate or not. With your tax contribution, you have no choice, nor do you have any real control over how or where it is spent.

It may be a waste of a quid in your opinion, but the ethos of this particular charity is that every penny of every donation is spent on medical intervention overseas - less whatever apple might take for sales and marketing through their Itunes service, I have no idea what that percentage is.
I believe Apple gets 30%, not sure if they give this up for charity.
Old 28 November 2013, 09:51 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Purchased. Good on them. Not many people go out of their way to do something like this unfortunately.

I didnt think twice about tipping 4 x that much last night at a restaurant and the staff get paid for serving anyway. 30%, 50% or whatever goes to them good on them, its better than sitting on your backside thinking of excuses why not to spend £1 just to make you feel better about being tight.