Default Here we go again - climate change

Met Office: Evidence 'suggests climate change link to storms'

It's climate change that has done this, have some more taxation
Old 09 February 2014, 12:47 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Been expecting it.

Expect fuel prices to start rising again too.

PS: this is the SAME MetOffice that predicted last winter and the one before as mild, and we got two of the coldest on record, predicted last summer and the one before as "barbecue summers" and we got two of the dampest, predicted drought last summer and we got floods, predicted THIS winter to be very cold and it's been mild so far............

Yet we are expected to believe them when they see 25 years into the future? They are a very expensive joke.

And 20 years ago they told us that by 2015, the southern UK would have a Mediterranean climate while the Med would be a desert......it better come quick then, it only has one year left to change, LOL

Last edited by alcazar; 09 February 2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09 February 2014, 01:07 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

When we had the successive cold snaps, we are told by climatologists that climate change is measured in decades and the fact we had one of the coldest winters on record a year or so ago that it was just "weather" and not evidence that global warming was not happening.

Then we recently we had reports of evidence that there has been no warming since 1998, and now, because of this one wet winter, it is evidence of global warming? Make up your f*&%ing minds!!

Last edited by jonc; 09 February 2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09 February 2014, 01:08 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whenever someone (and it is almost always the warmists) says "But all the evidence suggests..." you know that they are bullsh1tting!

mb
Old 09 February 2014, 01:10 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Dame Julia Slingo said the variable UK climate meant there was "no definitive answer" to what caused the storms.

"But all the evidence suggests there is a link to climate change,"

So really, you haven't a ****ing clue.
Old 09 February 2014, 01:12 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

mb
Old 09 February 2014, 01:20 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Why does anyone employ climatologists? About as useful as astrologists.
Old 09 February 2014, 01:30 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I was reading an article in the New York Times the other day, it was talking about the really large american corporates, like Nike and Coke Cola shifting their previous (dismissive/sceptic) stance on climate change

The simple reason is that they see the effects damaging the bottom line profits

Maybe the recent storms and flooding is gods way of saying don't live in Somerset - but on the bright side good for House prices not in a Flood zone

I imagine getting a mortgage/insurance in Somerset is going to be quite expensive
Old 09 February 2014, 01:40 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
I was reading an article in the New York Times the other day, it was talking about the really large american corporates, like Nike and Coke Cola shifting their previous (dismissive/sceptic) stance on climate change

The simple reason is that they see the effects damaging the bottom line profits

Maybe the recent storms and flooding is gods way of saying don't live in Somerset - but on the bright side good for House prices not in a Flood zone

I imagine getting a mortgage/insurance in Somerset is going to be quite expensive

Be as while before SN shifts position.

I find it funny that the same people who were last year using a cold snap as 'evidence' that CC was false are now attacking people doing exactly the same thing with our recent weird weather
Old 09 February 2014, 01:46 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Surprise surprise, look who's turned up
Old 09 February 2014, 01:49 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Surprise surprise, look who's turned up
Sorry didn't realise this was a thread only for conspiracy theorist and the breath-takingly ignorant. I'll go away then

Old 09 February 2014, 01:52 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Sorry didn't realise this was a thread only for conspiracy theorist and the breath-takingly ignorant. I'll go away then

No please don't go as it's also a thread for government sympathisers, gullible morons and people with a superiority complex and as you fit all three catgeories it woudl be awful to have the flagship poster leave the thread
Old 09 February 2014, 01:53 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer

mb
Funny and so true!
Old 09 February 2014, 02:55 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Here's the question that is really intriguing me,

how long before we hear about a water shortage,hosepipe ban etc?
Old 09 February 2014, 05:20 PM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Climate change is real and has been around since the planet came into existence. However contrary to politicians and the Kyoto protocol, it is NOT man made and no amount of taxation will ever prevent it. It is caused by variations in the orbital path of the earth around the sun.
There is a mathematical model that predicts orbital variations. (Do a Google search on Milutin Milankovitch, or Milankovitch cycles).
Old 09 February 2014, 05:29 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Which is what my dad used to say YEARS ago, bless him.

Lets ALSO bear in mind that, in the mid to late 70's, this SAME MOB were predicting the next ice age, and that maybe, just maybe, 20% of the WORLD's population might survive.
I kid you not
Old 09 February 2014, 06:52 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105
Support Scoobynet!

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The climate has changed, it's just got sh1tter is all though.

Something has definitely changed, as it never used to still be light at 5pm at the end of January, up here.
Old 09 February 2014, 06:57 PM
JDM_333
Scooby Regular

Is this the same met office that artificially alters it's own data to fit whatever climate catastrophe humanity is supposed to be contributing to next? ;-) just a planetary climate cycle (supposedly) although the sun is unusually quiet ATM (for the cycle it's supposed to be in)
Old 09 February 2014, 09:17 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_333
Is this the same met office that artificially alters it's own data to fit whatever climate catastrophe humanity is supposed to be contributing to next? ;-) just a planetary climate cycle (supposedly) although the sun is unusually quiet ATM (for the cycle it's supposed to be in)
I'm sure a panel of scientists will find how we're in someway responsible for this too.
Old 09 February 2014, 09:18 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
I'm sure a panel of scientists will find how we're in someway responsible for this too.
And Martin
Old 09 February 2014, 09:40 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

I fear you may be right. I bet you don't hear that very often!
Old 10 February 2014, 01:29 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

And Martin

He does make me chuckle.

As soon as large corporations start to move away from supporting action against climate change, so will the governments. In fact, our government has already reduced subsidies for solar and wind energy projects.

It is just laughable that the this crowd are still taken seriously. 'Yes, it is not getting warmer anymore, so we will just call it climate change. The weather can do what it likes then and we can still claim to have predicted it.'

I am totally behind energy recovery systems such as those that are going to be used on the new London Bus. It makes sense to be efficient, only if it just reduces costs.
Old 10 February 2014, 01:52 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

It reminds me of all the financial "experts" employed by the government and private sector who get it wrong time and time again but are STILL asked for advice and actually LISTENED to by the masses.
Old 10 February 2014, 02:04 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
It reminds me the IPCC "experts" employed by the government and private sector who get it wrong time and time again but are STILL asked for advice and actually LISTENED to by the masses.
EFA!
Old 10 February 2014, 03:49 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I am loving he new weather patterns, it means we have not had mountains of snow and are not living in -20°C temperatures that we normally get in Feb so long live the screwy weather
Old 10 February 2014, 06:10 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scunnered
Climate change is real and has been around since the planet came into existence. However contrary to politicians and the Kyoto protocol, it is NOT man made and no amount of taxation will ever prevent it. It is caused by variations in the orbital path of the earth around the sun.
There is a mathematical model that predicts orbital variations. (Do a Google search on Milutin Milankovitch, or Milankovitch cycles).
I did watch a programme along the lines of this...
Old 10 February 2014, 10:46 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

The Met Office’s temperature forecasts issued in 13 out of the last 14 years have been too warm. None of the forecasts issued ended up too cold. That makes the errors systemic and significant.

mb
Old 10 February 2014, 11:12 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scunnered
And none of this has been taken into account within the climate modelling?

Seriously you study for a decade to be called a climatologist and yet are not aware of something as basic as what a bloke on SN says?

I consider myself to be a sceptic, but there's a massive difference between scepticism and the damn right cynical.
Old 10 February 2014, 11:25 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

The met office said that when we had successive cold winters in previous years with March 2013 being the coldest on record, we were told to expect winters to becoming harsher and colder to be the norm. Now that we've had warmer than average winter so far and the wettest January are now expect to disregard what they said previously and we should now expect wetter winters? Or is this a one off occurrence and take this a weather event and not climate change?
Old 11 February 2014, 07:49 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
The met office said that when we had successive cold winters in previous years with March 2013 being the coldest on record, we were told to expect winters to becoming harsher and colder to be the norm. Now that we've had warmer than average winter so far and the wettest January are now expect to disregard what they said previously and we should now expect wetter winters? Or is this a one off occurrence and take this a weather event and not climate change?
Basically they don't actually know WTF is happening whether its a natural cycle the planet goes through every so often or indeed if it actually is a man made thing.

What they do need to do though is stop trying to fill our heads with bullsh1t and tax us to death on something they don't fully understand.

Quick Reply: Here we go again - climate change