Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Eric Pickles: Spend aid abroad to stop flooding in the UK

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2014, 10:53 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eric Pickles: Spend aid abroad to stop flooding in the UK

Go on then, who really believes that sending millions of £s of aid abroad is going to prevent flooding in the UK or even compensate those who have had their livelihoods wiped out or homes damaged?

Originally Posted by The Telegraph on Eric Pickles
Mr Pickles rejected "populist" calls from Ukip and some Tory MPs that money should be diverted from foreign aid budgets to support British people suffering from the effects of flooding suggesting instead that money spent in a "sustainable" way will help alleviate extreme weather in the UK.

Mr Pickles, the communities Minister who is leading the Government's response to the flooding, said on Sky News: “It’s an easy hit, its populist hit. We will be able to do all this without having to touch he aid budget. And if it is truly global warming, and our aid is sustainable aid, then aid that we are offering in other parts of the world will have an effect in terms of the things that happen in this country.

Asked if it was a “bit of a stretch” that money spent overseas would have an effect in Somerset Mr Pickles said: Our aid is pretty much targeted to help those in the greatest need. It's well targeted in dealing with infection and inoculation but I think it is possible to be able to offer help to people throughout the world at the poorest level, without it taking away anything from the people of Somerset.
I do wonder if these MPs remember to engage their brains before opening their mouths. I can imagine that those who have been affected by these floods are all thinking the same as Pickles "Oh well, so our farm, business and home has been destroyed, but at least Little Mbuko won't catch measles". Can anyone else hear the flushing of votes going down a toilet?
Old 10 February 2014, 11:00 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Another do gooder politician living in ******* LaLa land, spend it here where it's bloody well needed. It is our money after all.

Shower of *******.
Old 10 February 2014, 11:13 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Heard a funny comment on the radio regarding Eric Pickles this morning.
Apparently he has been giving Lord Chris Smith a hard time because the DoE (of which he is chair) has been lax in responding to the flood crisis in Somerset.
Smith has retaliated by suggesting that Pickles' time would be better spent if he went down to Somerset and offered his services as a sand bag.
Old 10 February 2014, 11:20 AM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Just another pointless UK organization that serves no purpose other than creating public sector jobs.

I wouldn't mind if they actually had a bit of backbone and moved up a gear when the **** hit the fan instead of just shrugging their shoulders.

This IMO is what is wrong with the UK, too many jobs paid for by the tax payer with no money being generated.

Don't start me on the pointless met office...
Old 10 February 2014, 11:55 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

MetOffice..........Aaaaarrrggghhh!

I heard the BBC this morning that Pickles' boss in the government is well p*ssed off with the way he is handling things.
Old 10 February 2014, 12:00 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

8000 NHS managers are on over £100k a year. What the f***?
We are throwing billions in the wrong place.
Old 10 February 2014, 12:15 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue by You
Heard a funny comment on the radio regarding Eric Pickles this morning.
Apparently he has been giving Lord Chris Smith a hard time because the DoE (of which he is chair) has been lax in responding to the flood crisis in Somerset.
Smith has retaliated by suggesting that Pickles' time would be better spent if he went down to Somerset and offered his services as a sand bag.

i doubt that, sandbags are actualy usefull

Trending Topics

Old 10 February 2014, 12:27 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
8000 NHS managers are on over £100k a year. What the f***?
We are throwing billions in the wrong place.
Not to mention the PFI fiasco.
Old 10 February 2014, 12:36 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
Not to mention the PFI fiasco.
And countless failed IT projects.
Old 10 February 2014, 01:11 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Don't worry, all that money has gone to good causes: ensuring that ex-ministers get directorships......
Old 10 February 2014, 01:16 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...handed-3123469
Old 10 February 2014, 01:43 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

They're all at it over the flooding, Miliband blaming Cameron, Cameron blaming Labour etc. etc. And then there are all these COBRA meetings we are told happen every day, yet nothing ever seems to get decided or published as to what goes on!

Meanwhile there are residents of various villages in Berkshre who have been told to get their own sandbags as its not up to the council or the environment agency to protect their property.

Over in Somerset the environment agency have built sandbag walls with 6 inch holes in and are pumping water from one field to another at one end of a village and back the other way at the other end.

What a f**king shambles as usual! I really do wonder if our politicians could agree on what day of the week it is without a series of meetings to make a decision!
Old 10 February 2014, 01:55 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Heads should be rolling over this fiasco. The EA should be held accountable for their failures over the past decade.
Old 10 February 2014, 01:58 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan

What a f**king shambles as usual! I really do wonder if our politicians could agree on what day of the week it is without a series of meetings to make a decision!
And then getting the decision wrong.
Old 10 February 2014, 02:00 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

They're all at it over the flooding, Miliband blaming Cameron, Cameron blaming Labour etc. etc. And then there are all these COBRA meetings we are told happen every day, yet nothing ever seems to get decided or published as to what goes on!

Meanwhile there are residents of various villages in Berkshre who have been told to get their own sandbags as its not up to the council or the environment agency to protect their property.

Over in Somerset the environment agency have built sandbag walls with 6 inch holes in and are pumping water from one field to another at one end of a village and back the other way at the other end.

It's all those enormous public sector salaries they have to pay to "attract the best talent" and those bailed out banks and those f**ked PFI projects and those binned IT projects, and those procurement teams who don't realise a £400 laptop isn't really worth £3k and and and… ARRGHHHHH!!!!!
Old 10 February 2014, 02:06 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Oh FFS!!!!! Cameron has just uttered the immortal line "lessons will be learned"
Old 10 February 2014, 02:08 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Oh FFS!!!!! Cameron has just uttered the immortal line "lessons will be learned"
Well that's the thing is it, they don't bloody learn.

If they learned they would have done something the last time this happened.

Inept *******.
Old 10 February 2014, 02:17 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
Don't worry, all that money has gone to good causes: ensuring that ex-ministers get directorships......
I feel sorry for them, the water from their moats must be lapping at their doorbridge by now, the poor duck house that taxpayers refurbished must be completely submerged now.
Old 10 February 2014, 02:20 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes but, it's just winter, no different to any other winters generally so why are you expecting them to anything?
Old 10 February 2014, 03:12 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
Yes but, it's just winter, no different to any other winters generally so why are you expecting them to anything?
See RA_Dunk's post
Old 10 February 2014, 04:21 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

"David Cameron says lessons will be learned"

He must be the most intelligent man on the planet with the sheer amount of lessons learnt over the past 3 years.

http://news.sky.com/story/1208256/ca...d-hit-somerset
Old 10 February 2014, 04:35 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
"David Cameron says lessons will be learned"

He must be the most intelligent man on the planet
Martin will be here any minute to lick your ******* and give you a good old ******* if you keep praising Camoron up like that.

Just saying.
Old 10 February 2014, 04:38 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

And NONE of this, of course, is due to privatised water companies trousering the profits instead of maintaining the water courses/pumps?

Just like it wasn't two years ago when Hull and Doncaster flooded. Some of the poor sods from THAT debacle haven't got back to their homes yet...but they are now forgotten, just as those flooded out along the East Coast before Christmas now are.
Old 10 February 2014, 04:41 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Just like it wasn't two years ago when Hull and Doncaster flooded. Some of the poor sods from THAT debacle haven't got back to their homes yet...but they are now forgotten, just as those flooded out along the East Coast before Christmas now are.
No, apparently none of that happened. This is a completely FREAK event and weather like this has never ever been seen before
Old 10 February 2014, 04:45 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

And NONE of this, of course, is due to privatised water companies trousering the profits instead of maintaining the water courses/pumps?
Seen somewhere a while back that down South I can't remember where exactly that they loose more water than they use due to broken pipes and lack of maintenance.
Old 10 February 2014, 04:50 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

a farmer said on the news that the rivers concerned are 42-47% silted up, i would love to see a ariel photo taken and then have someone remove the same percentage by computer image to see the difference it would make. in plain english poor 470ml of silt into a 1ltr jug and then try and add 1ltr of water. RESULT YOU WILL GET A FLOODED DESK
Old 10 February 2014, 04:56 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by madscoob
a farmer said on the news that the rivers concerned are 42-47% silted up, i would love to see a ariel photo taken and then have someone remove the same percentage by computer image to see the difference it would make. in plain english poor 470ml of silt into a 1ltr jug and then try and add 1ltr of water. RESULT YOU WILL GET A FLOODED DESK
I just tried that, and do you know he's quite right!
My receptionist is seriously ticked off..
Old 10 February 2014, 05:00 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
I just tried that, and do you know he's quite right!
My receptionist is seriously ticked off..
Yes, but would you now do it again?
Old 10 February 2014, 05:10 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Yes, but would you now do it again?
Surely a lesson has just been learned?
Old 10 February 2014, 05:20 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular