Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Help & suggestions for a large luxury car needed...

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2014, 04:33 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help & suggestions for a large luxury car needed...

...not for myself, but for my dad.

He's currently running a Volvo S80 D5 Lux which has all the toys, pop up nav, heated memory leather, climate, sunroof, etc etc. It has been absolutely faultless, returns 42/43mpg, no squeeks or rattles and stood up well to the test of time. But it's starting to get a bit long in the tooth, 8 years old/135k miles, so he fancies replacing it with something a little newer.

His list of requirements are:

Budget of between 22-25k
Estate, Coupe, Saloon, not overly important.
Diesel (5 or 6 cyl engines only)
Less than 40k miles
Automatic Gearbox
Integrated Sat Nav
Xenons
Integrated Bluetooth
Reliable
No older than 4 years
Real world economy of c40mpg combined, give or take a couple.
Long wheelbase, giving max comfort and interior space (Passat/A4/3er etc are too small..)

What suggestions have you got??

Cheers,
Grant

Last edited by RS Grant; 21 March 2014 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake in title?!
Old 21 March 2014, 04:40 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Should get you a nice BMW 535d with the required toys Estate (Tourer) or Saloon, 6 pot diesel, they're all autos, look for professional navigation pack - split screen sat nav, bluetooth and CD changer and visibility pack - adaptive xenon headlamps.

Not that I'm biased or anything. Not quite 40 mpg but probably near enough.
Old 21 March 2014, 04:50 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

A6 Avant diesels have to be worth a look
Old 21 March 2014, 05:02 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

BMW's are something which he's attracted to, before his S80, he ran an E39 530i and despite the Volvo never giving any hassle and feeling just as tight now as when he bought it... he does miss the 'substantial' feel of his old Beemer.

He likes the idea of getting as much car for his money as he possibly can (he IS Scottish after all.. haha!) so has been tempted by used 730d's on the BMW approved used site, along with 635d Coupes.

I'll go and have a look at what sort of Audi he can get for his money, are their 3.0d engines as economical/reliable as the BMW x30d and x35d units??

Cheers,
Grant
Old 21 March 2014, 06:07 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I know where I'd be looking if he wants a lot of car for his coin.

Jaguar XJ 3.0D - 2011 models with 30K around £23K - £24K.

A serious amount of car for that money!
Old 21 March 2014, 07:07 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

I've had a look at the XJ's (granted on Jaguar UK site), it seems as though 25k is the very lowest you can get a current 'sharp' shape XJ diesel for.

His initial budget was a maximum of 20k, but after looking at what is around; it seemed like that was a little in-between what he wanted and what 20k could buy, hence why the budget has increased, but that will be it, absolute maximum screen price of 25k.

I have noticed that an XF 3.0D is available for that budget, but, what are Jaguar like for reliability.. mechanical, electrical, cosmetically??

He is needing a car which will take 50-60k miles with only routine servicing, rather than something which will niggle and be in and out of a dealership. Something which (in our experience..) you can be quite confident of with the higher end BMW and Audi models.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 22 March 2014, 01:03 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS Grant
I've had a look at the XJ's (granted on Jaguar UK site), it seems as though 25k is the very lowest you can get a current 'sharp' shape XJ diesel for.

His initial budget was a maximum of 20k, but after looking at what is around; it seemed like that was a little in-between what he wanted and what 20k could buy, hence why the budget has increased, but that will be it, absolute maximum screen price of 25k.

I have noticed that an XF 3.0D is available for that budget, but, what are Jaguar like for reliability.. mechanical, electrical, cosmetically??

He is needing a car which will take 50-60k miles with only routine servicing, rather than something which will niggle and be in and out of a dealership. Something which (in our experience..) you can be quite confident of with the higher end BMW and Audi models.

Cheers,
Grant
Have a look on auto trader, a good few there in his price range.

Uber reliable too these days.

The XF is a lovely car but the XJ is so much more of a luxury car!

Last edited by f1_fan; 22 March 2014 at 01:05 AM.
Old 22 March 2014, 01:23 AM
Willowsdad
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally would look at these. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...?atmobcid=soc3
Only just slips in under budget, but well worth a look.
Old 22 March 2014, 05:22 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

If he totters about I'd avoid the diesels to be frank.

Particularly the Jag V6/V8, Audi V6 and Mercedes V6 diesels.

They all coke up with soot, the nozzles on the VNT turbos stick and actuators fail and the intake runners on Audi V6s clog up and fail.

So that in mind, as long as it gets "driven" hard once in a while the above is OK. Otherwise look at petrols or a BMW. I know, BMW diesels should suffer the same fate. But for some reason they are not so bad.

If he drives like a loon though forget all the above

The BMWs will have appauling ride with runflats unless fitted with adaptive suspension and/or non runflats. So really you just can't win.

Last edited by ALi-B; 22 March 2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 22 March 2014, 06:36 PM
LMC
Scooby Regular

Does he plan on keeping it more than say 3 years? Also what sort of mileage we he be doing per year roughly?
Old 22 March 2014, 06:51 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I tested a 750i in 2006 for the Independent and although it's not my type of car, it was a hell of a good motor. Superb handling, sublime engine and very comfortable.
Old 22 March 2014, 06:58 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Got a 730d in the workshop at the moment (for bodywork).
Nice...second hand prices are better compared to the same spec 5 series.

The probem with going from Volvo to newish BMW, is working out how to drive the fecking thing: From starting it, the handbrake, to putting the damn thing in gear LOL.

That said...the Jag XF is equally as stupid. That ****, well, only a ******** could have thought if that.

Last edited by ALi-B; 22 March 2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 23 March 2014, 01:22 PM
shytorque
Scooby Regular

S Class Merc???
Old 23 March 2014, 02:01 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Tbh the jag xf is a good motor I would say as I've had a good drive of one (XFR) well put together, great chasis and all the toys you can imagine, even the heater vents turn when started.
The **** for gears is quite cool, also has paddle shift.
In all great value for money.
Old 23 March 2014, 02:13 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Really? I driven the XFR too and found it very detached for what is supposed to be Jag's answer to a M5 or AMG, even in "dynamic mode" (or whatever the chequred flag button by the gear **** is called), which just held the gears and made the steering heavier...but still gave no extra feedback. Goes well though

Standard XF is fine though, gimmicks and annoying quirks aside (Tesco check-out reverse sensors etc.), but the v6 diesel does worry me if its not used enough - its not an engine designed to be worked on.
Old 23 March 2014, 02:16 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Really? I driven the XFR too and found it very detached for what is supposed to be Jag's answer to a M5 or AMG, even in "dynamic mode" (or whatever the chequred flag button by the gear **** is called), which just held the gears and made the steering heavier...but still gave no extra feedback. Goes well though

Standard XF is fine though, gimmicks and annoying quirks aside (Tesco check-out reverse sensors etc.), but the v6 diesel does worry me if its not used enough - its not an engine designed to be worked on.
Tbh can't compare it to m5 or AMG as never driven them, but for what it was I was impressed, maybe sat inside and driving it made me smile, and the power, well it was scary coming out of a corner
Old 23 March 2014, 02:30 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Oh yeah power is awesome. Instantly there, and more than plenty. Nice noise too. Main issue me is the feedback on the steering it just didn't feel right for me. But I have driven the C63 AMG, and that was more for me (well, if I had the the choice, which I don't ), not driven a current M5 though, nor a older one at that .

I don't know if its Jag trying to cater for a different market; They went through a phase when they tried to make their cars too American - squidgy brakes, feather light steering, etc. So maybe some of that is still being engineered into them. Mercedes seem to have it about right for me now. Comfy without being too detatched. BMW on the other hand really needs to sort out their OEM tyre contracts.

Last edited by ALi-B; 23 March 2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 23 March 2014, 11:01 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies, there are too many to multi-quote.. it'd be some read!!

Difficult to say how long he will keep it, he really isn't 'into' cars at all.. he really just keeps them until the time comes where he fancies a change, he had his E39 for 5 years and has had the S80 for 6 years. I would guess that since he's spending more than he usually bothers to spend on his car, he'd be keeping it for a minimum of 5 years this time.

At the moment, he'll be travelling between Dundee and Warrington/Manchester when he is unable to control things remotely.. so will likely cover c17-18k miles per year in the car.

I've had a look at what was available for his budget and fired him quite a few links to get his views on what is/isn't his cup of tea; here is his list in order of aesthetic appeal:

1. 635d
2. E350CDi Coupe
3. 730d
4. Audi A7 3.0TDi

So, if anyone has any experience of these cars, then it'd be fantastic to hear about it.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 24 March 2014, 01:14 AM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your input.

Funnily enough he mentioned a Mondeo when we first talked about replacing his car, but they don't provide a 5/6cyl diesel option, which you should have known was part of his criteria for his replacement. It really helps if you read the whole thread, rather than just the most recent post you cretin... he's a bit flashy you see, likes to have >4 cylinders to impress his mates.

Not sure how can he be a German brand snob, when he has been happily driving a Volvo for the past 6 years though, haha.

Good night troll.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 24 March 2014, 08:56 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

LoL
Worse still newish mondeos now have Peugeot engines (DV6, DW10 etc). So that won't win any kudos either.

I really struggle to understand Ford, they spend millions designing and updating the Puma engine then dump it because it needs a few quid spent to get through emissions. Yet they develop a 3.2 5 cylinder engine that pulls like a train and then only offers it long wheelbase Transits Put that unit In a Mondeo and you'd have something very interesting.
Old 24 March 2014, 10:13 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS Grant
Thanks for all the replies, there are too many to multi-quote.. it'd be some read!!

Difficult to say how long he will keep it, he really isn't 'into' cars at all.. he really just keeps them until the time comes where he fancies a change, he had his E39 for 5 years and has had the S80 for 6 years. I would guess that since he's spending more than he usually bothers to spend on his car, he'd be keeping it for a minimum of 5 years this time.

At the moment, he'll be travelling between Dundee and Warrington/Manchester when he is unable to control things remotely.. so will likely cover c17-18k miles per year in the car.

I've had a look at what was available for his budget and fired him quite a few links to get his views on what is/isn't his cup of tea; here is his list in order of aesthetic appeal:

1. 635d
2. E350CDi Coupe
3. 730d
4. Audi A7 3.0TDi

So, if anyone has any experience of these cars, then it'd be fantastic to hear about it.

Cheers,
Grant
Well back to my post, the 635d is more or less mechanically identical to the 535d just in a different shell As for the run flat tyres, I'd assume the 635 has them also. I don't hate them on mine but I would like to try a set of normal tyres at some point or another to see what difference it makes. Supposedly the mid cycle update (LCI) E60 535d which mine is did have the suspension tweaked for the RFTs.
Old 24 March 2014, 02:14 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

A way round the run-flat ride quality issue make sure the car has adapative drive suspension. (active suspension).

By default its softer than standard suspension so helps on rough roads. Problem is you'll struggle finding a second hand BM with it fitted.
Old 24 March 2014, 05:09 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Xline
"he really isn't 'into' cars at all"
Mondeo.

Stop p1ssing money up the wall pointlessly. Who is he trying to impress and why? That's the more salient question here.

Her clearly is a German brand snob. why?
Cracking input there Were your other 6 posts as riveting?
Old 24 March 2014, 08:28 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shytorque
S Class Merc???
My thoughts exactly - S class, 2010, approved used Mercedes dealership

As for a 4 year diesel not doing more than 40,000 that might not be such a good idea. I would prefer a 4 year old diesel with 60,000miles over one thats done 40,000miles.

Here's a low milage E class if milage and age is a strict criterior - E class, 2012 (Mercedes warranty), 5000miles