Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Transit Custom, your opinions and experiences

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2014, 06:46 PM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Transit Custom, your opinions and experiences

So my current van is in the bodyshop due to a front end impact. It could end up a write off. Even if it doesn't ill be considering a new one due to mine having 144k on the clock.
I've been considering my options and I'm quite like the look of the Transit Custom... Personally I've had transits and I've never really gelled with them I think they drive like a really old van. I'm hoping that ford have up'd thier game with these new customs. I'd be going for the 155ps engine, book says the all return decent mpg.

So..... Real world opinions? I'd love to hear from those of you who have driven one or own one?

Oh and the other van I've considered is a transporter.

All opinions welcomed, cheers guys

Joe
Old 02 April 2014, 06:54 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive a 155 Ltd Ed lwb , Its the best van Ive had , and Ive had loads, much better that merc or vw, I used to run 3 sprinters , the older type 54/55/56 plate, when the new shape came out I just do not like them, as I dont like the newest transit , had a test drive today >> awfull , they are a lot like the merc, Im glad my 12 plate transit will last me untill i finish with big vans.
Old 02 April 2014, 07:11 PM
taylor85
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had one in test but stuck with the vw's as they drive better
Old 02 April 2014, 07:13 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

get one of these

Old 02 April 2014, 08:05 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

As long as its not French or Italian I think you'll be OK (that includes the new Toyota...which is a rebadged Fiat Scudo/Peugeot Expert and Nissan Primestar aka Renault Traffic).

Don't know anything about the new Tranny Custom...too new at the moment so we won't see one come in for a few more months at least.

So long as it doesn't have teh peugeot engine I think it'll be OK. Not that there is anything wrong with the dw10xTED engine, just when neglected they get very expensive to fix.

Talking of vans with French DNA....The new baby Merc van (Citan?) is a rebadged Kangoo FFS. Is there anyone stupid enough to fall for that?
Old 02 April 2014, 09:17 PM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Funnily enough it's a french vivaro that I'm looking to replace. It's been a great a van, in 140k all it's needed is tyres and brakes. I would get another but this is my second so really a fancy a change.

From what I've read all engines 100ps 125ps and 155ps are all identical apart from the mapping.

Joe
Old 02 April 2014, 10:34 PM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I work for a Volkswagen commercial dealer up here in Aberdeen. We have had a few of the new custom's in,

1) Looks like it's came into 21st century !! Finally
2) Large load area
3) relatively nippy
4) Not that great on fuel consumption in real world driving. Gearbox feel's like a ford rangers!!!
5) Had a lot of people interested in them, From joiner's, painters, bricky's etc etc. Same answer everytime they go for something else. It's just not what i want from a transit.Fancy interior that look's good (Very similar to the new focus ST in some way's) But it doesnt wear very well. One at my work with 4000 odd miles, It's looking a bit dated on the inside already with faded plastic's.
6)EGR's seem to be a weak point
7) Ford paintwork is utter crap, Very thin and sticky. Front bumper's have a "Rattle can" look to them, straight from the factory
8) Older transit's were quite tough and generally carried on regardless, these don't seem to be as hardworking
9) Massive depreciation on them, witch is to be expected
10) Great van though for passenger carrier's or taxi's

A vivaro sportive is far better value for money or a T28 or T30Transporter 130 ps is probably the best built even if more expensive

For look's id go for a Transporter Sportline LWB, certainly for mpg as well, 650 miles from a 180 ps Bluemotion

If you want any proper advice when im feeling more awake, feel free to send me a pm and ill help you out as best i can

Tom
Old 02 April 2014, 10:43 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by joe v3sti
Funnily enough it's a french vivaro that I'm looking to replace. It's been a great a van, in 140k all it's needed is tyres and brakes. I would get another but this is my second so really a fancy a change.

From what I've read all engines 100ps 125ps and 155ps are all identical apart from the mapping.

Joe
If it had to be French, then a Vivaro is the best of them. I just hate filling them with oil as well as doing anything else engine related - rest of the van is fine.

I amazed you managed 140K on the original track-rod ends, they usually fail MOTs from excess play after 70K (usually alot less if bounced up and down curbs).