Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Clio 172 Problem (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2002, 12:33 PM
172jon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

My Mk2 Clio 172 has developed a knocking noise/vibration during hard cornering.
Basically when I go round a left hand corner the rear right hand wheel (ie the wheel that's loaded up) makes a knocking noise that sounds & feels like the car is driving over catseyes. I can feel the vibration through the steering wheel & although it doesn't seem to affect the cars handling, it really knocks my confidence when I'm 'committed' to a corner.
It only happens during really hard cornering, when the car is approaching the limit of adhesion. It also only happens when going round left hand corners. It's fine in right handers.
It does it with the standard 16" wheels on & with my 15" trackday wheels fitted. It also doesn't make any difference if there are people in the back of the car or if I am on my own.
My car is completely standard and has covered 13500 miles.
I have been into my local Renault dealer 3 times now & I have even demonstrated the noise to a technician. They've checked all the suspension components & wheel bearings, but cannot find a fault. The wheel is not rubbing on the arch liner either.

Has anyone else had this fault with their 172? Or does anyone have any ideas about what could be causing the noise?
I'm getting really fed up with this situation & Renault's inability & reluctancy to do anything about it.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,

Jon
Old 13 June 2002, 12:44 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Hi jon

Cant say i have had this problem, but i will try some enthusiastic driving to see if it happens.

I must admit, the Renault dealer I use is nothing short of amateur. I am so glad i dont pay for the servicing.

Have you noticed a diagnostics mode of the trip computer. Press the button and switch the ignition on, and press the button again !! Wahey the dashboard goes haywire !! Cant work out what it is for though.

Dave
Old 13 June 2002, 12:52 PM
172jon
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers Dave!

I'll try that dashboard thing later.
I really love driving my Clio, but I'm just fed up of the **** quality & the even worse service that you get at Renault dealers.
That's why I'm currently looking for an Integra Type R

Jon
Old 13 June 2002, 12:59 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Wink

Jon,

Have you tried cornering with all four wheels on the floor!

Matt
Old 13 June 2002, 01:06 PM
172jon
Scooby Regular

Talking

LOL

Don't take the pi55 out of my custom 172BHP Reliant Robin!
It's got similar build quality to the standard car, however it's the back axel that only has one wheel.
Old 13 June 2002, 08:01 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Wink

You know you want a Teg
Old 13 June 2002, 08:20 PM
172jon
Scooby Regular

Wink

I know I want a Teg Just got to find the right car...
Old 13 June 2002, 11:00 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Red face

Bloody Clio's - nightmare. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] The missus's cam belt has just gone not 2 hours ago on her Clio, though it is an H-Reg!! Only 55k miles though, so time to look for a new motor

DW
Old 14 June 2002, 09:31 AM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

Not sure if my experiences are entirely valid - my car was a Renault 5 TR (so a few years ago) - but I had a very similar problem.
It seemed to be as the weight lifted of the offside front wheel, I would get a knocking sensation through the steering. It got gradually worse, to the point were it was very audible.
Sometimes (ie normally when I took it to a mechanic) it wouldn't do it, other times it got so bad I wouldn't drive it.

Unfortunatly I never solved it - despite trying bl00dy hard - put on two new wheel bearings, stripped and refitted the suspension strut, fitted an new suspension strut, changed the track rod ends, put a new drive shaft, new hub on etc etc

I've never bought a French car since - and won't buy one again.
Old 14 June 2002, 10:30 AM
zoog
Scooby Regular

Peugeot 1.9 gti's had the exact same problem i remember with mine, and also the dealers could never soolve it or even find the pathology.

I too spent money on wheel bearings etc to no avail. The peugeot dealers btw were utter sh1te - I swear they used to deliberately set the car up to develop a fault soon after every service, it had an uncanny knack of getting a totally new problem very shortly after they'd had it in. They tried to rip me off with rear brake cables all the while too.
Old 14 June 2002, 08:12 PM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

Sorry I don't have ideas about the steering except to say my old Cupra Sport had the same trouble which I fixed with time and error on a Geometry rig.

I may have Michelins to fit your 172 if you need them (Exaltos x 2)