Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

(Yet another) Cater/field question; crash safety

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2002, 05:35 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Seriously thinking about one of these as my toy, and getting a poxy Scenic as a family car, rather than getting a Scoob which only made me grin at inane speeds.

Problem is, Portugal has the worst driving safety record in Europe. People really are reckless, they simply don't give a monkey's about anyone else on the road. Apparently overtaking round blind bends is a national sport. To make it worse, a year ago the government decided in its infinite wisdom to halve car tax on jeeps, so now they are more common than on a Surrey school run.

If I got hit by a standard car or jeep in a Caterham, or even an Elise, do I stand a snowball's? I know they are built to rigorous safety standards, but you can't argue with the laws of physics.

John Felstead, I remember you lost an argument with a Disco, but I never heard the details. Any comments?

Thanks

Brendan
Old 18 July 2002, 06:52 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thankfully I have no direct experience in the matter (touch wood!). However, I do know that Westfield had full EU type approval for a couple of years, so their cars must have at least passed a basic crash test. Try giving Jon Moss at the factory a call, he's a helpful chap and might have some more info.

If you haven't done so already, it might be worth your while doing an advanced driving course. With no disrespect to yourself, there's plenty to learn about defensive driving and improved awareness that's not obvious (until someone shows you!) and which might lessen your chances of having a bump at all.

I guess that the lightness of the car might just mean that it slides around in a crash rather than getting as squashed as a heavier car might. Four point harnesses are common and easy to fit, and can't do any harm either.

Andy.
Old 19 July 2002, 09:41 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

An old friend of mine was killed in his caterham when he lost the tail on a bend and got T-boned if he was in his capri he would have survived no doubt I have always been afraid of these cars since that With the light weight and rear drive it could happen again to anyone
Old 19 July 2002, 09:48 AM
Marc W
Scooby Regular

Andy is right about driving with increased awareness. I think you have to approach driving a Caterfield on the public road in the same way you would a motorbike - be aware of whats going on around you and make sure people can see you (or hear you, of course )

I was pretty sure I wanted as 'safe' a Caterham as possible when I was looking for one. I ended up with a ex-race car with re-enforced sides, electrical cut out, no fuel cap exposed on the rear (they can rupture if you're rear ended) and most importantly of all a full roll cage with seats low enough so that my head still has clearance even when with crash helmet on:

I also leave the doors on so if I was unfortunate enough to roll my arms won't fall out the side.

If you are buying a Caterham the oweners club recommend the FIA roll bar and 6 point harness belts as a minimum safety requirement before taking the car on track. I don't know what the Westfield equivalent is. The standard Caterfield roll bars are NOT up to it and I personally would never travel anywhere in such a car.

I'm afraid the following piccie highlights this. I don't know anything about it - who's car and if they're ok but it does act a sober warning:

Having said all that, Caterfields have been developed over a long period of time and have a lot of racing development behind them so are tough little beasts.

Get one and have a lot of fun

Marc

[Edited by Marc W - 7/19/2002 9:51:01 AM]
Old 19 July 2002, 01:17 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Defensive driving I think I'm quite good at, having been a keen cyclist since age 11 and having a Dutton (Cater/field proportions) from 18-22. But I'm not sure what can prepare you for going innocently round a corner to find a Shogun approaching at 80mph (gulp). Maybe I should strengthen and reshape the front mudguards to become launching ramps?

Marc, thanks for the tips, I didn't realise those mods were possible. I remember talking to Caterham and they said they could not sell a brand new car with the full roll-bar due to some silly safety regs (I think the diagonal crossbar impeded rear visibility), but the "customer" always had to fit it post-sale. They sounded as disgusted as anyone who would hear that.

I'm sure race crash experience is all fed in to the development, but they don't involve crashes with Volvos etc, hence my question.

I wouldn't have thought arms hanging out would be an issue, given the projection of the wheels. Unless you are a chimpanzee

Brendan
Old 20 July 2002, 05:15 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Question

JohnF around?
Old 20 July 2002, 07:00 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

He's at the Nurburgring at the moment, back Mon/Tues.