Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Seat Leon Cupra R??

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2002, 08:15 PM
Scotch Steve
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

At present I'm considering changing cars, currently have a MY99 Sport, was planning a new MY02 WRX what with the price cuts.

I thought I'd do a bit of looking around to see what else was out there, got the last edition of Top Gear with the RS group test and it seems to come out okay so I thought I'd take a look at that and the R.
To me not, knowing much about much they seem to be decent enough cars and being part of VAG I assume fairly well built and reliable, haven't had a test drive and still to arrange one, I thought I'd drop a post on here for any views and opinions that anyone might have on reliability day to day running etc.

Also I'm under the impression that the Cupra R is a limited UK edition and as such I probably wouldn't be able to source one from Europe anyone know if I'm right?

One last question re. future model development, I seem to remeber a year two back reading about Seat bringing out a 4wd Leon, dealer I visited said it was news to him, anyone know if there is one in the offing or not as if so I may wait a bit.

Thanks in advance

Steve
Old 01 November 2002, 08:28 PM
Newbie123
Scooby Regular

I've got a Cupra R on order for next year.

In answer to your questions, the Cupra R is not UK only and is available in europe. I looked into importing but once you add on the brembo's, 18" alloys an CD (which are all options in europe) I was getting quotes of between a £500 saving and actually paying £500 more than UK list. I ordered mine in September and I'm expecting it in Janaury/February, so you're probably looking at March/April if you were to order now.

In regards to reliabilty from present owners you'll get more info here

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/

Hope that helps and good luck with finding a demonstrator, I had to travel 60 miles.
Old 01 November 2002, 09:20 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Steve

The Cupra R is a fine car in its own right.

But one thing to think about is that everytime I've changed cars and gone for a car without four wheel drive, I've never been entirely happy. I've learnt my lesson, and since a Legacy Turbo and then a new Impreza Sport in 1998 I've had 3 cars since - two Audis and now a 99MY Turbo for fun (all were 4wd!)

Not being a wimp by the way - I just miss the way you can drive with 4wd in 99% of road conditions.

Depends what you're after, but the WRX is solid, refined and slightly quicker than the Cupra R (in all conditions). As you say, there are some good deals around - or buy a used one with some Subaru warranty remaining
Old 01 November 2002, 09:23 PM
TurboBoost
Scooby Regular

I've had a shot in one (luckily I didn't have to travel 60 miles) and rate it highly in all departments.

I would have said it offers superb value for money when comparing UK list prices, but as pointed out there are hardly any savings to be made importing one. Whereas if you're prepared to wait it seems you can get a new WRX for similar money to a Leon R.
Even then though the Leon should be cheaper to run and insure, and with just a chip 250bhp is on the cards.

As for the 4x4 Leon, Europe has had a V6 4 Motion Cupra for ages, meant to handle a bit better than the Golf equivalent.
Its not going to come over here though.
Old 02 November 2002, 12:11 PM
Scotch Steve
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks to all for the quick and informative replies.

Newbie123, thanks for the link to the Seat BB, I've been searching but obviously in the wrong place, it's got more than enough info to keep me going, and thanks for the info re. imports will save me a lot of time and effort.

Flat 4x4 and Turbo Boost, deep down I think I want another scooby, but the value for money that the Leon offers is hard to ignore along with it being a good bit less conspicuois (spl?) except obviously in yellow.

I'm in no hurry to change and was originally planning March '03 so may hang fire a month or two and see what happens to MY02 prices, only danger being with the Cupra R being limited I may then struggle to find one.
With this in mind does any body know the exact numbers that are to be made and when, dealer I spoke to said 250/year, which kinda sounded low, and also is this year as in calander year or 6 months as in number plate year if you know what I mean, ie is it 250 til March and a furhter 250 Mar-Sept??

By the way anyone looking for a test drive in the Leeds area JCT 600 at Guiesley/Yeadon have both stnd Cupra and R demos and the guy I spoke to was really helpfull and not at all pushy, even offered to bring the R round to my house one night if it was more convienient which I thought was pretty good seen as they will probably not have too much trouble shifting them.

Cheers

Steve
Old 02 November 2002, 01:42 PM
Toonman1
Scooby Regular

Cupranet's a very friendly Forum - even I don't get too much hassle; not all the time anyway!:-) I had a std Leon Cupra, and couldn't wait to get back into a Scooby. I was very, very disappointed, particularly with the handling (very poor), reliability, (also poor) and the running costs (not much less than a PPPd 02 WRX - for me anyway).

JCT600 at Yeadon have an awful reputation in the site. Their aftersales is reckoned to be awful. Run a Search and see for yourself.

Cheers and enjoy the site!

Mike

02 WRX
Old 02 November 2002, 02:34 PM
Newbie123
Scooby Regular

Steve,

JCT600 in Leeds is where I had my test drive, Phil the sales mamnger there has been extremely helpful and that's why I placed my order with him (the discount helped as did the crapness of my local dealership).

In regards to numbers I think Seat UK are getting a total of 750 cars I'm not sure as to when and how these numbers will be delivered. But I do know that each Cupra R is taken from the Seat factory to the Seat Rally HQ to be indvidually converted into "R"'s thats why it takes so long to get them because they only do a total of 40 cars a week and that includes supplying to the rest of Europe.

I think you will find in the leon section of the seat board a poll about reliabilty from a couple of weeks ago.

Personally I'd take them both out for a test and see which one your heart yearns for.
Old 03 November 2002, 05:59 PM
Scotch Steve
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Toonman, thanks for the info on your experience of owning a Cupra and also the info re.dealership aftersales sevice.

Newbie, thanks again for the info re. numbers, it was Phil that I spoke with at JCT and I found him very helpful and knowledgable.
You mention your other local dealer was crap, do you mind mentioning who or where they are so I can avoid them aswell, Huddersfield, Wakefield, York?? When I actially make a desicion on what to buy I'll be paying them all a visit and it would be good to not waste my time.

Steve
Old 03 November 2002, 06:28 PM
Newbie123
Scooby Regular

Steve,

The nearest one to me is the one in Doncaster, they are mutli-franchise in the same showroom and seem to me to have very little interest in selling Seats, they didn't even have a standard Cupra to test drive never mind getting hold of an R.
Old 03 November 2002, 08:59 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

Steve

Interesting question.

Ive got a Leon Cupra R and previously have owned a UK300 in both std and PPP form.

I'm not really sure about the Cupra R. The performance feels very much in line with a MY02, but both cars need more power IMHO. The problem with the Leon being its FWD, therefore 250bhp, FWD and wet weather = big wheel spin.

The Cupra R has a number of features better than the MY02, namely interior(but only just), better stereo (by miles) and better lights. It also IMHO looks nicer as std. Its also as reliable as any Scooby Ive owned and the paint quality has been better than both my new shape Scoobies.

After saying all of that, I cant wait to get rid. The ride on poor surfaces could be better, the chassis whilst very good is dull. The car is very fast and will pretty much keep up with a std Scooby in the wet and dry, but its BORING.

Its a very good value for money car. I'd have one again over the bread van Civic Type R, and guess that as a day to day car its better than the Focus RS, but its not for me. But then again I found a std WRX boring, so maybe I need a brain transplant

Jonathan
Old 04 November 2002, 09:43 AM
Toonman1
Scooby Regular

I know you've had hassles with your Scoobies Jonathan, but my 4 have given next to no probs in a combined 160,000 so far. Oh, I did find a stone chip the other day - first in 12 weeks and 5600 miles...

As for Leons Steve; check the site and you should see there are regular problems with:

Coils
Leaking Doors
Leaking Pollen Filter seals
Paintwork
Trim - creaks, rattles and bits falling off
Damp in the headlights

These appear to be fairly standard "features" of the car.

There are several that have had gearbox failures too - including my own.

My drive of the Cupra R was brief and it's a good car. It'd probably get close to a std 02 WRX, but not if the road was bumpy or had many bends, ie a typical road in my area. A PPPd car would leave it for dead on any road.

A friend strugles to get 24mpg from his R (which was delivered minus badging and with a duff MAF). It took over 3 weeks to get the part. He's still waiting for badges.

Everyone has a story to tell, and mine is fun, hassle free, Scooby motoring since April '94 through to October '01. Then 9 months of problems with the Leon Cupra. Thankfully, I've had 3 months or so of hassle free times again, with the WRX. Better go touch up that stone chip... ;-)

Cheers

Mike

Old 04 November 2002, 09:10 PM
Scotch Steve
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks again for the replies.

Fortunatley Donnie is a wee bit out of my way Newbie so I'd have avoided that dealer anyway.

Chins, thanks for your overview or Leon v's Scooby ownership and again to Toonman for highlighting the "features" of the Leon that they don't mention in the showroom, as an aside VAG pollen filters seem to be a problem, I know of at least one Golf and one Octavia who had problems with these casuing water to leak into the footwell of the car.

As I mentioned previously I'm in no hurry to change car right now so may just wait and see what happens re. bug eye prices/availability before commiting. I was originally planning getting a MY03 until I seen it and don't much fancy the Lexus look so only really started to look around just now what with the price cuts. I think I'll bide my time for now.

Cheers

Steve